“Tinnitus Truths”

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jazzer, Sep 3, 2018.

1. TracyJS

TracyJS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Actually, all things are not possible. Many, many many things are possible. And to make manifest one’s vision certainly requires all of the above.

However, when we say all things are possible if one just works hard enough or has enough faith, we are placing the burden completely on the individual, discounting the very real and powerful forces beyond the individual that shape one’s fate.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Dear Tracy - you are absolutely right.

I remember very well how much you struggled when I first met you on here.

Because of the wretched permanence of this condition, of course I very well know that you still do. I struggled like hell - and I now struggle with so much more also. Severe tinnitus, advancing Parkinson’s disease, restless leg syndrome, and grief over the loss of my adorable Sylvie.

Having faith, courage, self belief, determination, blah blah blah, will not alter the facts.

We all suffer, to varying degrees from this hateful malady, and can do little more than try to cope with it.

There is currently no cure, no viable treatment, and no good news that anybody can share on the subject of tinnitus.

What we can do is share our care and affection for each other.

Love,
      Dave xx
      Jazzer

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Like Like x 2
    3. TracyJS

TracyJS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Dear Dave,

You are right: I struggled immensely when we first met here, and I still do. Tinnitus has only gotten more severe, and life has only gotten much harder with many more challenges.

I know life has gotten so much harder for you, too. Continued severe tinnitus, Parkinson’s disease, and the ongoing grief over losing Sylvie, whom I know you loved so deeply.

With this “hateful malady” as you say, trying to cope is the best we can do for now. It’s necessary, but oh so insufficient.

So much pain and suffering living can bring. Great tenderness and beauty, too. I guess we try to hold whatever love and kindness we can receive and give to others.

Love,
      Tracy

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      This is lovely, Tracy. :huganimation:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Yes, this is something that we can all do, Dave. :huganimation:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Apologies for jumping on the negativity bandwagon. I feel like we deserve a worse fate than child molesters, murderers etc. When they got the electric chair back in the day, the current would run through them for seconds killing them. For us the current never ends. I realize it's a shitty way of thinking. This is what a bad day can drive you to...

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Apology not necessary in my very humble opinion, @bobvann.

Bad days can affect us and push us to our limits, everyone here understands.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      My 5th "anniversary" is in April. If you read my posts, I have tried both TRT / sound therapy & MCBT to no avail.

*Some* YouTube sounds can help when going to sleep and zap the backside of my ears with my DR ho TENS machine...

• Hug Hug x 2
    9. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I am in agreement with Dave when he said, and I quote...
      Five years is a long time and I certainly feel your frustration, it is four years for me. I am in the "acceptance" camp when it comes to my tinnitus. It is all I have and I am managing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      For thirty percent, tinnitus for some can be reduced by addressing certain underlying physical causes.

This would be somatic tinnitus and it often occurs from cervical muscle spasms and twisting neck. This was my somatic cause when getting dental care.

Another cause is infection and sometimes when cause of infection is found and treated, tinnitus will go completely away.

I assisted a person who had very severe somatic tinnitus, jaw problems, neck pain, allergies and so much more. Blood work was almost perfect. None of this appeared to be cause.

After two years and many conversations I asked the person to get a chest X-ray. Toxic metal was found near lungs and that was causing infection travel. The metal was removed, and now this person no longer has tinnitus or physical problems.

Since after having to retire from first cause of tinnitus, due to emergency ear syringing from hospital roof top helicopter landing side area pigeon dust, my focus has been trying to help those with physical tinnitus. Not just here, but thru community service - computer use. A few with physical tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus have been cured and some others are living a better life.

There are many here that are just as if not more compassionate and helpful than me in so many ways.

My physical problems, tinnitus - all three forms, hypertension and severe physical pain can't be treated, and for all of us, we need to be treated with love and understanding.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I believe you are a compassionate and helpful man, @Greg Sacramento :huganimation:The information that you shared in your previous post, is more than helpful, you add so much to this community.

All of us need to be treated with love and understanding, just as you say.

I believe my tinnitus is due to stress, even though there are those who feel this isn't possible.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I have no problem accepting, having done this to myself. I was a drummer in metal bands. Blasted headphones for many years which I believe to be the root cause.

Having said that, it is curious to why some of us are afflicted with this while most apparently are not.

2 things I have come to believe.

1 - Habituation is NOT guaranteed for everyone.

2 - I seriously doubt that only 2% are afflicted.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      I find that hard to believe @Greg Sacramento. You are a special person.

On the infection point, do you have any view on EBV somehow burrowing its way into the labyrinth of the ear?

I found out today that I can accentuate my tinnitus in one ear by protruding my lower jaw. Wondering if working on it could help.

14. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Endolymph is the fluid contained in the membranous labyrinth of the inner ear. The major cation in endolymph is potassium and sodium and this is called Scarpa's fluid.

Concerning endolymphatic associations doesn't happen with Epstein-Barr virus.

If you had rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, type 1 diabetes, juvenile idiopathic arthritis, or celiac disease, then management with tinnitus is needed.

Inflammatory bowel disease is the most concerning. Either too little or too much medication for IBD will be problem, especially with taking certain heart medications.

Autoimmune diseases - EBNA2 needs careful attention and most general practitioners know little about this.
      Most can - it's about nerve tissues. Unless you have jaw issues, don't worry about this.

• Like Like x 1
    15. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @emmalee, you are back??!! I have missed you my crochet friend. I hope you are well. Warm hug.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Hello, Once!

I take long breaks but I will always have much love and gratitude for this forum and its members, many who I will forever call my friends. ❤️

It was a spike in my tinnitus that brought me back, initially. After having Omicron and then my booster, the tinnitus turned on me and caused a lot grief and anxiety. Fortunately the situation is turning around and I feel much more relaxed and calm. I appreciate that Tinnitus Talk has some very good discussions in regard to vaccines and COVID-19 and how they affect our tinnitus. I wanted to post about my experience.

Of course, I had to check in on some of my favorite people and discussions. ❤️ So, here I am.

How are you, Once?

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Good for you. I am all for anyone who can cope with this. I am triple vaxxed, and the vaccines never had any effect on my tinnitus.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Thanks, @bobvann.

I, too, am triple vaxxed, yet when I got Omicron I was double vaxxed. I did get an increase in loudness with the virus, but it settled in due time. It was after I got my third dose/booster that all heck broke loose.

You are very fortunate that the vaccines did not mess with your tinnitus.(y)

As a result of my experience, I will no longer accept a vaccine, it is not worth the risk of another spike, no matter how scary a future new variant may be. I will take my chances.

As far as coping and accepting, this is not as easy as it sounds. I accept my tinnitus, I have to, it's not going anywhere, in fact the fear of it getting worse lurks in the background, always.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      After a year off, I started going to the gym again. I went 3 days in a row. I noticed *some* improvement to my hyperacusis where all the clinging machines sounds don't make me jump out of my skin. Still I think it contributed to what has been a challenging week. Looks like I will need to break out my custom earplugs when I go back...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    20. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      DWZ5dBy.jpg

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    21. Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello @OnceUponaTime, I know you struggle tinnitus, but have you ever had hyperacusis?

Sending healing prayers x

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    22. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      It’s lovely to see everyone on here, I hope life isn’t treating you all too hard, though looking through some replies it is, big hugs to all you big crazy degenerates :D :huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    23. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      :huganimation:Jcb it is lovely to see you on here. How are you?

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey Emma, so lovely to see you back on here :D not that I’ve been on myself for a while ha. It’s been a really tough year if I’m completely honest, a lot of things happened and seemed to snowball but I’m still hanging in there.

How have you been? I have missed your lovely writing and compassion :)

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    25. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hey @Jcb -- Thanks for the big hugs. -- After careful consideration, I think I qualify as one of those big crazy degenerates; thanks for the chuckle! lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    26. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I have been well, Jcb. Thanks for the sweet compliment. This place was instrumental in helping me navigate my journey with tinnitus, so I always come back and visit. The time in between visits seems to get longer and longer, though. Maybe this is a good thing in that it proves life can go on in spite of tinnitus.

So sorry that this past year has been tough on you. You deserve much more, Jcb. :huganimation: Tie that knot and hang on for dear life.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    27. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      You too, Lane? Welcome! :welcomesignanimation: :D

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    28. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ha ha yes, I think we all are tbh, especially to be getting on with life with our symphonies playing 24h :LOL: humour is good for the soul my man.

Hope all is as well as can be mate :)

• Like Like x 1
    29. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m happy you are navigating life better Emma, nobody deserves what we go through so it’s nice to take whatever pleasures we can get. I’ll have to try and come back a bit more often as well.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      :p :p :D I love the YouTube pop up ad that has the same British sounding voice for weight loss etc, "are you or your loved ones suffering from tinnitus?" "A military secret was leaked." with fake doctors peering into a folder. I love the guy holding his head like he's dying in the beginning.