1) Can Tinnitus Cause Headaches? 2) Can Headaches Cause Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Stanlex, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Stanlex
      Wtf

Stanlex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2019 - mild, 03/2021 - the real shit
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something that cannot be identified by 21st century tech
      Hi.

I think that the majority of people consider headaches to be the result of stress and anxiety caused by tinnitus. Also doctors, when I mention headaches, tell me "I can give you something to calm your nerves down" or so.

But what if the headaches are caused directly by tinnitus, not just by stress?

For example, my particular tinnitus sounds exactly like this:

4 Hours of High Pitched Tinnitus...

Funny that the above is something that many tinnitus sufferers purposefully listen to for relief in their tinnitus, but I am forced to listen to it 24/7 and suffer. Every change in the tone feels like a slap on my face.

There are many reasons why one could suffer from permanent headaches but the idea of tinnitus actually causing a 24/7 headache by emitting painful tones is brutal and it feels like there is no escape from this. Because tinnitus never gets better as we all know. So does that mean we have to suffer from headaches 24/7 for our entire lives?

Also, I have been searching for treatments of tinnitus for hundreds of hours without finding anything but I am no expert at headaches. Is it possible to cure them even if they come from tinnitus? I personally don't find any relief when taking painkillers.

I found an article on WebMD that if a person gets a headache from loud noise (not particularly from tinnitus) that they can treat it by regularly exposing to loud noises and get desentitized, thus not getting headaches from loud noises anymore. Does that mean headaches from loud tinnitus can't be permanent?

And, can it be the other way around, headaches being able to cause tinnitus?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, I suspect stress/smoking/tmj/neck issues
      I don't think my particular case has a cause and effect, but last summer, a couple months before the onset of my tinnitus, I was having chronic headaches on the right side of my head (same side as my tinnitus) and weird neck stuff. This leads me to believe that it is very likely connected.

3. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I started getting chronic headaches about a year before my tinnitus ramped up. My headaches would last non-stop for 1 - 2 weeks, then disappear for a couple months only to return and the cycle would repeat.

Since I've started taking Magnesium L-Threonate for tinnitus, my headaches haven't been as bad.

4. aura

aura Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Same here. I had headaches for 2 months almost non stop. I couldn't believe that something like that was even possible.

It's a miracle that i can speak now about this, never thought that this day would come.

5. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yea it was horrible. When it first started I didn't get must respite for the first couple of months. Then it eased off and only happened once every couple of months. I was taking a lot of Ibuprofen for it too. Nothing else helped, not even migraine meds.

6. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      I’ve had tinnitus over 11 years and the headaches would come & go, so I didn’t give them much thought. I usually was able to stop the pain with Tylenol.

But these last few months, the headaches have been pretty much 24-7 with the tinnitus becoming louder. Tylenol still helps, but for just a couple of hours. Since I can only take Tylenol every 6 hours, I suffer with the pain the rest of the time. Ibuprofen helps a bit more, but causes tinnitus spikes, so I can’t take it. At bed, I often take a 1/2 a Xanax to sleep. I’m upset this is happening and know Tylenol is very bad for the liver, so looking for alternatives to Tylenol.

Recently I’m trying CBG hemp tinctures (not CBD which causes spikes) and so far, it is helping.

7. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My tinnitus feels louder when I have a headache as well. Suggested supplements are Magnesium, CoQ-10, and B2. I feel like I can attribute most of my suppression to those supplements.

There are also some non-migraine prescription meds that can help such as Nortriptyline and Gabapentin.

I still need to try CBG.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stanlex
      Wtf

Stanlex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2019 - mild, 03/2021 - the real shit
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something that cannot be identified by 21st century tech
      Update.

I suspect the cause of my tension headaches is the intense spasm of the muscles on my temples. The pain from temples fires into whole head from there. No idea how to fix that though. Not my priority however.