12 Weeks Since Onset, Cause Is a Mystery, Super High Pitched Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by LGuapo, Mar 4, 2020.

1. LGuapo

LGuapo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

Not sure why I'm even posting, I've read so many posts. I guess I'm looking for hope or something. Or maybe someone with similar symptoms that can tell me what worked for them. Or just someone who understands.

About 12 weeks ago, I was sitting on my couch, just watching TV, when I noticed what I guess I'd call a hiss. I thought nothing much of it, but after two more days the hiss became a super hight pitched tone, 14.5 kHz actually. At first it wasn't very loud, but after another week it became considerably louder.

At this point, sometimes it's louder and sometimes softer, and on very, very rare occasions, it might even go away for a couple of hours. But for the most part, it's there all the time, and sometimes it's so loud and piercing that it _almost_ hurts. It's always in both ears, but sometimes a bit louder in one than the other (sometimes left, sometimes right.) The pitch is so high that the only thing that can usually mask it is a very specific track of cricket sounds... but sometimes even that can't.

There's also a much lower pitched hum, (like a car idling) mainly in my left ear, but it's much, much quieter such that I hardly notice it. It's not nearly as distressing as the high-pitched, piercing tone I'm struggling to live with.

So far, I've seen my primary care physician, an ENT and audiologist, a chiropractor/physical therapist, and an endocrinologist (for hypothyroidism.) I did a course of oral prednisone (but not until 8 weeks after onset.) I did physical therapy for neck, and dutifully did daily neck and jaw exercises for three weeks. Also, trying Gabapentin for a month now. Tried Gabapentin + Klonopin for a week, as well. Also, taking NAC, Magnesium, B12, and Zinc. Hearing tests were normal and brain MRI was normal.

Nothing has noticeably or reliably helped. The times that it's softer are seemingly, purely random.

The cause is a mystery as well: no measured hearing loss, no sudden loud noise exposure, no new medications, no significant stress events. My hearing does roll off around where the pitch is, but it's not only normal at age 44, but I haven't been able to hear above 15 kHz for years. And I can definitely modulate my tinnitus (to be louder) by twisting my neck or even opening my mouth wide.

I'm starting to lose hope.

Any help? Any ideas?

2. E2-E4

E2-E4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Nothing constructive to help you but I've had tinnitus for 23 years to which I habituated to, then one year ago it randomly got worse - a high pitched sound in the left ear came out of nowhere as I was driving home from work. So I think tinnitus can come out of nowhere, it doesn't always have a specific reason or trigger.

12 weeks is not so long in terms of tinnitus, it might relax, some people had tinnitus fade away after a few months, even a year (or more). Hope it calms down for you soon.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LGuapo

LGuapo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you, E2-E4. Your words are helpful. I'm trying to hang in there. It’s very difficult, lately. It feels like an ice cold needle of ultra high pitched sound is puncturing my brain almost 24/7.

Can I ask, how are you dealing with yours? Is yours purely sound? Or, like me, is it also something akin to painful at times?

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is a good sign. It's good that it isn't relentlessly at the same level. Hopefully it will fade gradually, and in 2-3 years you will have your life back.

• Like Like x 3
    5. E2-E4

E2-E4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That's a harsh description LGuapo, I'm sorry to hear that. I really hope this is temporary, it very much could be.

Mine isn't purely sound, I occasionally get this annoying sensation that I cannot describe in words in my left ear, the ear that got worse one year ago. If I had to try and describe it, it's like some kind of pressure, but not the pressure you get while in airplane - it's just annoying like something's in your ear. Sometimes it's the only thing that's bothering me, the sound is usually bearable except for when it spikes, and then it's a source of distress and depression too.

As to dealing with it, when this all began I had suffered my first ever panic attack which was terrifying to say the least, I had to resort to medication (SSRI), which, after finding the right one, helped with reducing anxiety affiliated with tinnitus; the sad fact is that these medications can actually contribute to tinnitus and make it worse at times.

Other than that I just try to tough it out of the spikes, and try to act as normal as I can, sometimes it works better sometimes less. I find myself browsing these forums when it gets bad, more than the usual, also reading the research and treatments sections in search for some hopeful reading.

6. CAgirl

CAgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 M80 Firecrackers
      @LGuapo, this is exactly how I describe mine. It’s a shrill high-pitched piercing tone that feels like an icy needle in my ear. How are you now?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LGuapo

LGuapo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi CAgirl,

Sorry to hear you're having to deal with this. I know how hard it is.

I'm more or less the same now as when I posted this, except it maybe causes me anxiety less often. I still have no idea what caused it.

Hope you find some relief.

• Like Like x 1
    8. star-affinity
      Wishful

star-affinity Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1993, increase in 2020, then new in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure about the first. Too many beers? Music during sleep.
      Any difference for you now?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LGuapo

LGuapo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m not sure if this question is directed at me or not, but my condition is essentially unchanged.