17 Years Old, Unknown Cause, I Woke Up with a Loud Ringing in My Left Ear

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Catshrk, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Catshrk

Catshrk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intracranial Hypertension
      Hello there,

I heard about this site on Reddit and I was a bit skeptical at first, but reading everyone’s stories and similarities made me feel comfortable enough to create my own account.

Anyhoo, my tinnitus started on January 24th, 2021. I woke up that morning with a loud ringing sound in my left ear; the kind of ringing you’d hear in a film where the protagonist was caught in an explosion. I was terrified. This had happened before in 2019 and several times before, but it had only lasted a few seconds before disappearing. I tried to stay calm and I kept telling myself that it would go away on its own. The sound simmered down to a static-y hiss, but in silence I can still hear the awful piercing sound.

It’s now been 3 1/2 weeks. I had visited my GP, Audiologist, and ENT immediately within the first 2 weeks. I did not want to waste any time. My hearing was in tip top shape, and no matter how many doctors stuck their otoscopes in my ear they all had the same thing to say, “everything looks fine.” I am now due for an MRI on Friday 2/19 hoping they’ll find an answer.

I’m slowly losing hope, I am failing all my classes, I never want to leave my room anymore, and I just hide under the covers wishing this sound would just stop. I am glad that this is only in one ear, but tinnitus still freaking sucks. I’m tired, and I want my old life back.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. martinberryhorse

martinberryhorse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 5, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One hard cough
      First few months are the worst.

Do you have any other symptoms? Crackling sounds when you swallow, popping sounds, physical sensations, pain, etc?

BTW, it's a good sign it improved a little so soon.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Catshrk

Catshrk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not a lot really, at first there was pain and pressure in the ear, but that all stopped within the first week.

• Like Like x 1
    4. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      I'm sorry you are going through this. You are relatively new to tinnitus. Has anyone mentioned to you to protect your ears? If not already, I would discontinue using any earbuds or headphones. Also discontinue any loud music and wear earplugs when going outside on the house, especially in these first few months. I agree with the previous poster that it is a good sign you are already seeing improvements.

Hang in there,
      twa

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Catshrk

Catshrk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have actually completely stopped using my AirPods and my headset when gaming. And when I go to work I wear some earplugs to avoid making it worse. I appreciate the reply, thank you <3

• Like Like x 1
    6. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      @Catshrk, I'm commenting to let you know, in case you didn't look up about MRI on this forum, that MRI machines are loud. If you decide to do it, wear foam earplugs and if possible, some ear muffs. If you suspect noise is the cause of your tinnitus, an MRI won't help. Maybe try to rule causes out doing other kinds of tests first. CT scans are quieter but they can't see small stuff as far as I understand. Whatever you decide, please look for information beforehand.

• Genius Genius x 1
    7. RichieTheKid
      Question it

RichieTheKid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Many Different things
      I need to do an MRI also. Better go to Michigan.

Michigan Hospital First to Install Noiseless MRI System

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Catshrk

Catshrk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the info!

I actually can’t rule out what could’ve caused this. I work in a pretty loud environment so maybe there’s that. I’m also a weightlifter so perhaps something there too. I’ve just been running in circles for a while, so now I’m protecting my hearing at work, cutting down on some of my supplements, and taking it easier when I workout.

This MRI is the last thing on my list, nothing else has been able to provide an answer.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Catshrk

Catshrk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello there,

Today’s been a good day for my tinnitus for the most part, but I forgot to wear my earplugs to work. I work in a kitchen as the griller. I got back home from my 5 hour shift and everything was going good, just my usual tinnitus.

That was until I hit a spike while doing some homework for class. This spike didn’t last too long, but maybe it did? The nature of it was quite strange, but all I remembered was a sudden deafness in my left ear (the trouble ear) then a loud high pitched sound. The deafness went away, but I think the high pitched sound is still there in the background somewhere.

My normal tinnitus is a high pitched hissing, and some mild ringing. Now it seems to be “layered.” I have my usual hiss and ringing, but this is also somehow accompanied by another ringing sound too. I really hope I’m imagining it...

10. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Very common. It's called fleeting tinnitus. Read this:
      Loud Tone for a Few Seconds — Fleeting / Transient Spontaneous Tinnitus

11. Juan Dublin

Juan Dublin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Catshrk,

How was your MRI? How are you feeling?

I have just joined the forum and your post was the first one I read and it's all quite identical to what happened to me. Ringing left ear (I think the right one is fine). I went to my GP and the local Audiologist and all seems fine with my auditory system (I passed well the hearing test and I have no ear pain). The GP prescribed antihistamines, although I don't think they are working in any way.

I developed tinnitus about 2 weeks ago, from unknown causes... I just woke up one morning an felt the loud sound. I had few days of panic / crisis mode :( although my nerves seems to have settled a bit despite the 24/7 ringing.

I find it hard to sleep or concentrate, so I need to keep looking for a cause and understanding of the issue. My GP mentioned about next steps if the antihistamines wouldn't work.

Any tips from more experienced members as to how cope with tinnitus?

I hope for a quick recovery, I'm still positive it will get better with some time :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Catshrk

Catshrk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello @Juan Dublin,

I actually haven’t gotten my MRI done quite yet, it’s scheduled for this Friday.

We’re both on the same boat unfortunately, my GP, audiologist, and ENT all told me that my ear and “inner mechanisms” were all looking good.

I’ll update you after I get my MRI done.

Today marks my 3rd week with tinnitus. Sending good vibes and I hope that you recover soon!

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Juan Dublin

Juan Dublin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Catshrk - I'm still feeling very positive and everyday I get more assurance this is a temporary condition.

Our cases are so similar - Everything seems to be fine with the Auditory systems but let's not lose hope. I know how mentally demanding this condition is, but it will get better :)

If I can ask you, was there a big difference between the ENT and the Audiologist? I have an appointment booked for next week with the ENT, although I'm not sure they will bring anything new to light.

My next steps would be to get back to my GP who mentioned something about scan too. I guess at this point I'd like to understand what drives my tinnitus, although I also know there are cases where you never find out the reason (in which case I think I'll also be fine for me... although I'd like to know).

Let us know how the MRI goes, and do not forget to get some ear protection with you (i.e.: earplugs)... I heard those machines can get loud!

All the best and wish a prompt recovery!
      Juan

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Catshrk

Catshrk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am also trying to stay positive and trying to keep my expectations realistic :)

To answer your question, an audiologist mainly focuses on your hearing and your ear structures such as your eardrum, ear canal, cochlea, etc. an ENT will take a look at your ears as well as your nose and your throat.

Just remember that you’re not alone, we’ll surely find a solution one day. In the meantime let’s stay positive. Thanks for the earplug reminder!

15. Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      It may take awhile, but it will get easier. As hard as it may seem I would advise trying to get back to your old life as much as possible. That means not hiding under the covers. Yes, you are suffering. Your mind is very strong though and just as much as it is focused on tinnitus it can also focus as hard, if not harder on the truly important things such as school and bettering yourself. Be patient and give it time.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Catshrk

Catshrk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Update!

Hello everyone,

I finally got my MRI done today and I got some results back already, thought it could take some time for further interpretation.

I have no idea what these results could suggest, but there does seem to be some sort of connection with my tinnitus? I’ll most likely have a follow up next week or the next, so I’ll be sure to post another update.

My results are as follows:

110BF932-6A40-4DDD-8710-F0CA73D9EDDD.jpeg

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Catshrk

Catshrk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello everyone,

So it’s 2:31 AM right now and I’m terrified. I recently recovered from my left ear ringing for about 1 1/2 months, and now my right ear has inexplicably started to ring loudly.

Before, my left ear was just a hissing sound, but has faded away.

Now my right ear started ringing at around 12:00 at a loud volume and high frequency, a volume that not even my sound machine can mask. I’m panicking and I don’t know what to do.

My doctors believe that the source of the ringing is Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension, though they aren’t 100% sure. I’m due for an LP (Lumbar Puncture) sometime soon, but I’m not sure if it will help me.

Why does my mind play these cruel games on me? I was on the road to getting my life back on track, and now the cycle is repeating itself.

18. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to hear this happened to you. I’ve been dealing with it for 13 months now. You will most likely be dealing with this for quite some time, so try not to fall apart. I wish I’d known this was a chronic issue, but I didn’t. I want my old life back too before this demonic issue started, but honestly the only thing you can do is give it time. A read a lot of cases clear up in 16 months - 2 years. So just hang in there...

19. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Upper respiratory infection
      How are you doing? You are only 17!