2 Week Update and Background

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by FixaUppa, Apr 21, 2018.

1. FixaUppa
      Batty

FixaUppa Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      didn't use earplugs as loud live music played for an hour.
      It's been two weeks since the ringing started after I attended 3 loud bands in a small pub. After looking at a tinnitus loudness scale I would say my ringing is at a 3 or 4. This past Monday I went to an urgent care and saw a Dr. He said my ears weren't blocked and I did not have an ear infection. I insisted I take an audiogram. After looking at my results, he said my hearing is OK, but I had some hearing reduction in the left ear at higher frequencies and should still be able to hear conversations. I feel I couldn't hear those frequencies because the T was louder than the sound at those frequencies. I didn't look at the audiogram. He prescribed me 5 days worth of 40mg/day prednisone and some anti nausea pills (which were more expensive than the prednisone and I probably could've done without). I finished that prescription today (Friday). I don't have a regular Dr., so this was just someone I saw at urgent care. He also said I should see an ENT after two weeks if the T doesn't end by then. I think the prednisone made my legs ache.

This past Tuesday I started taking NAC, Mg, and Vitamin B Complex. It seemed like my ears starting popping and I could hear better shortly after I took this mix. By Wednesday I added taurine and melatonin (for sleeping). Before I went to sleep that night I could barely hear the ringing. I was listening to some T sound therapy and the water heater blower fan. After I turned off the sound therapy and the fan went off, that was when I noticed less ringing. I had to go to a quiet room and really listen for it. I would say it was at a 0-1. It was a brief moment of relief. But the next day it was back to the usual range and has been since.

The muffling, muting, or pressure (feeling that ears need to be popped) seems to switch from ear to ear. So one side feels more muted then the other, then it will switch. I feel this feeling is slowly improving and my hearing is slowly getting better. I still can't figure out, if it is hearing loss or some sort of off-balance pressure in my ears. I still have a nauseous feeling usually starting around noon (could be from the prednisone), even after I took those expensive anti-nausea pills. Although, today I didn't take them and the nausea wasn't that bad. The pain in my ears has ended or subsided. I think this could have been caused by hyperacusis in the very beginning? Maybe the prednisone relieved some of the pain?

I am 38 years old. In my younger days I did attend a few shows where I did not wear earplugs, but I never got tinnitus that lasted more than a couple days. I have been to some small venue shows and large concerts more recently in the past years, but I always wore earplugs. This one time when I did not wear earplugs has given me persisting T.

At my current job there are some loud sounds I am exposed to. I drive an ATV for short trips lasting up to 10 mins, test smoke detectors, operate power tools, rarely use a backpack blower, operate snow blowers in the winter, go into the pool shed where pumps are constantly running, run appliances for testing, etc... I didn't always use ear protection for all of these duties, sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't. Of course now, I am constantly taking my earplugs in and out all day, and even started using earmuffs, because they are quicker to use.

I have a new realization of how loud our modern world is. I attended a Pow-Wow for about thirty minutes last weekend, but I had earplugs and had to occasionally cover my ears, because I was worried more damage was being done. Afterwards we went to a local Hawaiian BBQ spot downtown that was blaring their stereo. I also had earplugs then, but I shouldn't have stayed and eaten there. I was with my friend and he wanted to sit and eat in the restaurant. I saw a movie at the theater with earplugs the next day. So I lied when I said I'm avoiding loud places and I regret it. I really need to avoid loud places.

I ordered more supplements and got a book called "Save Your Hearing Now". I will try to follow the diet, supplement, lifestyle, and protection guidelines in this book. It's given me a shred of hope, as well as the success stories I read on this website.

I'm trying to stay positive. Sound masking is helping, especially with sleeping. Being busy at work sometimes keeps me unfocused on the ringing. I thought an update and background might help. Thank you for you responses on my first thread as this prompted my to see a doctor right away and begin some sort of treatment.

I hope we all get better.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      That is one of the best strategies there is when we have no magic pills to help our T. Being positive will keep away the limbic system and the fight or flight response, thereby making it easier to habituate to T. Good luck. Take good care. God bless.

• Like Like x 2