20 Minutes After Putting My Hearing Aids In, My Tinnitus Went Through the Roof...

Discussion in 'Support' started by MartinH, May 15, 2018.

1. MartinH
      Angry

MartinH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows?
      Hello All,

It's been a couple weeks since I posted, actually a couple weeks since I've logged on.

My tinnitus got considerably better, there were days were it was barely noticeable but it reminded me it was there from time to time.

So today I got my hearing aids. About 20 minutes after having them on/in, my tinnitus went thru the roof. It was nice in the MD office, I didn't think it was there anymore. But it sure let me know when I was on my way out the door.

I'm scared to put them back in, I feel like I"m back at square 1 now. It hasn't been this loud for weeks. Anyone experience this?

2. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I wonder if it is "reactive tinnitus". I'm no expert on this subject but I think there are some on here who are familiar with it. You can read a bit about on this website under the section "reactive tinnitus". Hopefully someone else will be able to give you a good answer if this is wrong.

https://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/your-role-in-treating-tinnitus-12792

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MartinH
      Angry

MartinH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows?
      Thanks Jason... I'll check that out. I haven't been able to find much online about it and the audiologist hasn't got back to me. I was told I had mild hearing loss and that hearing aids would "replace" what I lost and the T would likely quiet down a bit. For the past month or so it's been variable in loudness but it was pretty easily ignored. Yesterday it was like someone flipped a switch. I don't think it's as loud as it was when it first began 2 months ago because it was pretty easily masked last night when I slept. I didn't even take ambian or valium, which I'd been doing probably too often. I'm kicking myself for not just leaving well enough alone but I am where I am. I just tell myself it could always be worse. I'm not putting those things back on though. I'm just going to focus on getting as healthy as I can and getting off my maintenance meds. I've gotten old and heavy you can only treat your body like a garbage bin for so long before it tells you about it. So it's going to be be eating clean, a lot of exercise, and a lot of sleep for this boy from now on.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @MartinH,
      I wear hearing aids.
      At first put them on your lowest setting 1 and keep them in till an hour before bed and the same for a few days.
      If you need the next setting try it for a couple of hours and see how you go and you will adjust to them and couldn't be with out mine now.
      Hope they soon start to help you.
      Love glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MartinH
      Angry

MartinH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows?
      Thanks Glynis... did your ears freak out initially? I mean, my T got really loud. I slept pretty good last night and just had a glorious nap so it's not like it was when it first started, but it was so much better than now. I'm scared to put them back in.