21 Years Old — Went to Sleep One Night and Started Hearing Noises in My Ears

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by pdot, Jan 31, 2021.

1. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      @pdot— try some of this stuff. It’s a powder. I mix it with warm water from my Keurig. It might help you calm down some. One ENT said to take Magnesium for tinnitus. I sincerely hope you get better young man (joke).

7FA28C62-E5C9-438F-BE9E-2D1CA84A2ED7.jpeg
      I thought she was a woman, but could be a man? Some people don’t put the right gender in their description. I just awakened with static in my left TMD side. :(

• Like Like x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pdot

pdot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Steph, thanks so much for your words. It has reduced so much in the past two days. I have been diverting my mind. I hope it goes completely but after having it only for a week I’ve realised a lot about my life. And how I should never have taken it for granted all these years. I realise the value of every second, and every minute. I went out for a walk and felt a lot better. I’m remaining hopeful but people on here have helped me a lot including you. I will try my best to remain hopeful. And not give up. <3

• Like Like x 6
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pdot

pdot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wait, does my profile gender say male? I didn’t even know. I haven’t actually changed much on my profile besides photo. Haha. Definitely female. Thanks, I have been taking B12 as well. Oh no, I hope it gets better soon.

4. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks. I have to see a TMJ surgeon ASAP as this noise bugs me. Certain injections may stop it if it’s related to inner ear muscles or irritation of the ear canal. It’s tough sometimes to get a referral. I’m glad your noise has reduced and hope it goes away entirely.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. buttercake

buttercake Guest

This is something good. Tinnitus taught me to not disrespect or ignore somebody else's suffering. Good sign, that you are already experiencing some fading. Protect your ears in noisy environments and you ought to be fine very soon.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      I promise you, if you are thinking about ending your life after one week with tinnitus, you severely lack education on the disorder. I don't mean to be condescending, but it's the definition of an irrational suicide. Euthanasia should be reserved for people with all of the medical facts clearly laid out, plenty of time has gone by, and the medical outlook for the future is well understood. Multiple people should be involved, analyzing all of these things.

You don't even know the cause, probably know very little about the future of regeneration medicine, probably are low on sleep. What if it's a totally correctable problem?

I'm not saying these things to be mean, but to talk some rational sense into this situation. Many, many people improve after a week of tinnitus. In fact, one of the reasons why tinnitus and hyperacusis are not taken seriously is because so many people drastically improve with time.

The people on here are hearing freak shows (I say that lovingly as one of the biggest freaks) -- often the worst of the worst. One week is waaaay too early to make the determination that the rest of your life is ruined.

• Like Like x 3
    7. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      It can most definitely get better, it can go away or it can get better. You are in the early stages. Get yourself to a calm state. Don't make a big thing out of it. Be very careful of noise. Dismiss those crazy thoughts, start rethinking about yourself. Yes, yourself, be your advocate and you can turn it around for the best.

To your health and well being.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pdot

pdot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I think you’re right. I needed a reality check. Obviously it was quite scary to wake up and have this, that’s why I feel like my life went suddenly downhill. I’m sorry if you thought I was being irrational but sometimes when something is so overwhelming and scary, my anxiety gets so severe and I have these thoughts. I was not trying to be reckless in my words. I’ve always had severe depression and anxiety most of my life so I guess this added to it. However, I’m now trying my best to cope, and be hopeful. Still scared though.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    9. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @pdot, did your MRI go okay or did you decide not to have it done? I see some places like CDI in the US have some quieter machines. I was checking with them about their pain management doctors and looked at some of the newer MRI machines on their website. I like the more open models because of some claustrophobia I got recently with the traditional tube type.

The noise in my left ear is ramped up today because of deep scaling done at the dentist.

https://www.mycdi.com/services/

10. sophielynch

sophielynch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection and wax removal
      Hi! I wanted to ask how is your tinnitus at the moment? Mine has become reactive to the tv :(

11. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Were you referring to me or @pdot? Mine seems reactive to TV also.

12. sophielynch

sophielynch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection and wax removal
      Anybody really! And it sucks, doesn't it. I can still hear it but it's so much easier to deal with when it's quiet.

What caused yours?

13. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have HF hearing loss, TMD in left jaw, and some neck issues, so maybe some of each. Have you tried Gabapentin plus Klonopin? Is your noise just in ear you had an ear infection in? I had an airplane barotrauma in my left ear years ago so that may contribute also.

I see you haven’t had your tinnitus very long. I hope it improves in time. It’s easy to get paranoid over it. I can have a good day and then it resets when I wake up from a nap or overnight.

14. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      Did Klonopin/Gabapentin work for your tinnitus? If so, how long did it take to see benefits? And lastly, are you still taking the combo?

KWC

15. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I second this. Neck issues can make everything worse.

Personally, cervical pillows didn't fit my neck so I bought a 14" Easter Peep plush (eyeballed plush at Goodwill till I saw something in a good shape). It fits perfectly and helps. It's not memory foam, though, obviously so every few months, I keep having to buy another one off of eBay. The point is though, find something comfortable that works for your neck if a cervical pillow doesn't.

• Like Like x 2