3 Weeks and Two Days In

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Pierromcdo, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Pierromcdo
      Supportive

Pierromcdo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Guys..Just created my account.
      First of all sorry for my english, french is my first language.

Im a 30yrs old man from montreal.
      My tinitus has started friday 10th february this year...No Idea why.. was drinking a beer with a friend at home around 11pm..
      When he left, I turned off the tv, and I realized that i was still hearing a buzzing sound. I went outside..the buzzing was still there.
      I went to bed and tought, well, I'm tired, tomorow it'll be gone.
      But no luck, that night i heard it until the morning..

I went to a doc a week later, everything seems fine, gave me sinus rince and nazonex for 5 days for good measure.. No effects..

I saw an ORL last week, has'nt found anything, just looked at my ears, told me to do an earing test and to come back see him with the results..

I went to an osteopath the same day, she told me that I was really stuck near my skull, and she could help me with that.. took 2 more appointments..

I am really depressed since..I cannot maintain my sleep because of the buzzing sound!! And it is hard to concentrate at work with that :(

I always think how fine my life was before, and how miserable I am right now..

At least i found some way to relax after work by listening some hair dryer sound over youtube, that somewhat masks the buzzing... Thats what i have been doing every night since the start of this nightmare...

But here is something strange, last week on monday, wednesday, friday and today, uppon waking the buzzing was strong, but after my shower, the buzzing was gone....

But whenever I go to sleep, even for short naps, the buzzing is back...
      I took a mini-nap today around 6pm..like 10 mins, woke up, ears was buzzing.. I stand up and moved a bit, the buzzing has faded...luckily..

I have noticed that when i close my jaws and forcing a bit, it boosts the buzzing too...

I tried some rivotril last week and it puts me to sleep for 3-4 hrs but no changes on the buzzing...

Tonight i will try some nytol to sleep, I need to have a good rest...

I will try also a dental protector, to see if its a problem with my jaws...

Well sorry for the big message with all kind of informations..I just felt I needed to share it with peoples that lives the same thing!

My familly and friend knows that I'm struggling right now but they cannot really understand what I'm going trought.

Thanks for reading this, i feel a bit better right now..

2. Jenni8619
      Inspired

Jenni8619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Salut!

I just created my account tonight as well. I know exactly how you feel right now, the last week has been horrible for me and all I want is a good night sleep! Trying to wrap my brain with all this information, wanting to educate myself on this matter, it's kinda scary and anxiety likes to creep in.

I keep telling myself to relax, don't overthinking everything, breath and some light will shine through.

Stay strong.

Hugs,

Jenni

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pierromcdo
      Supportive

Pierromcdo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for answering!
      I just read your intro, well we are about the same age and have the same concerns about the future..living with this, the job, dating, everything...
      Really scary!!

At this point, I just hope it fades away on its own :(:(:(

Hope you'll get well!

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum from another Canuck, @Pierromcdo. I am on the west coast though, in Vancouver of beautiful British Columbia. Sorry to hear of your suffering. A few years back I was in similar suffering with severe tinnitus and hyperacusis. T & H turned me into a mess initially and I had relentless anxiety and panic attacks upon waking up with loud T scream. I thought my future will be a catatrophe. How wrong. Today I am back to living a normal, happy and absolutely enjoyable life. I wrote my success story to share some insights and strategies I learn from other kind members, and some of my own. Here is the story if you like to check it out:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

Regarding your sleep issue, you may want to try several things to help you sleep. Perhaps try Melatonin, a natural supplement fo help sleep. Second is masking your T with some nice soothing sounds. Hair drying sound may not be as appealing or relaxing as some of the nature sounds, such as rain, waves, forest sounds etc. Here are some suggestions to diversify your masking:

1) Mask at bed time so you can sleep better. Find whatever sounds/music that are soothing to you. You can use a sound machine or sound pillow for this, or a computer with speakers.

2) If you need masking on the go, try load an ipod with nature sounds or music using itune. If you have a smart phone, you can download free APPs for soothing or T-masking sounds.

3) If you have computer and speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds too:

TT's audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: https://mynoise.net

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

This increase in T upon waking has been explained by Dr. Nagler before in this forum as to why T seems to be so loud upon waking up or after taking a short nap. Some call this the 'awakening response' of the RF. Here is a c&p of his original text:

“I have always felt it to be due to the role of the reticular formation in tinnitus perception. The reticular formation is a primitive structure in the brain stem. It's a "vital sign monitor." When you wake up, the RF checks to see whether or not you are alive! It looks for heartbeat, respirations, blood pressure, temperature - basic bodily signs. It does not care whether or not these signs are good or bad - just that they are present. And as far as the RF is concerned, tinnitus is part of "expected" body function in an individual suffering from severe intrusive tinnitus. So when you wake, your RF checks to see whether or not tinnitus is present. And if it doesn't immediately find the tinnitus, the RF seeks it with a vengeance - - especially in the post-nap state, when there has been inadequate REM sleep and when, therefore, the RF is on already "high alert" that something might not be quite right. Theoretically - very theoretically - this RF hyperactivity in seeking tinnitus, which in a person with severe intrusive tinnitus it equates with life, results in temporarily markedly augmented tinnitus perception.”

Finally, if you can alter your T by jaw muscle movement, you may want to check out if you have TMJ issue. You can google it or search this forum on TMJ and you should find lots of info. Good luck. Take good care. God bless.

5. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      This is what many of us struggle with. Almost seven months into tinnitus and hyperacusis, and I still see my life as before ear problems and after ear problems.

But it's not a good way to live. Dwelling on the past is never a healthy thing.

For me, the most plausible cause was noise exposure so there really isn't much I can do (at least, not where I am). But if you don't know the cause and if you don't think it's noise exposure (either a single incident or cumulative), I think it's worth trying to find out what the reason is because it may be something that can be treated. Good luck.

6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Pierromcdo
      Welcome to the forum. Exposure to loud noise in the most common cause of tinnitus. Do you regularly listen to music through headphones or play computer games wearing them? Do you attend concerts, clubs cinema etc where loud sounds/music is played. Do you work in a noisy environment?
      Hope you start to feel better soon.
      Michael

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pierromcdo
      Supportive

Pierromcdo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Was listening music with headphones on computer at work.. but never too loud, and mostly podcasts...
      Maybe its a cummulative effects of all this years of headphones usage...
      :/

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It sounds like headphones could be the cause @Pierromcdo especially if you use them often. It is easy to play them too loud without realizing it. I advise to stop using them for a while even at low volume. My own opinion, if headphones is the cause then I would never use them again. I have written an article for people new to tinnitus that you might find helpful: Tinnitus, A Personal View. Please click on the link below.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

9. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      There is still a very good chance it will go away, it hasn't even been 3 weeks.
      Try some MAG and other supplements as well.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pierromcdo
      Supportive

Pierromcdo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I stopped the use of headphones since...

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pierromcdo
      Supportive

Pierromcdo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the support guys!
      @Michael Leigh , great article and very encouraging.
      I'll let you know how things will turn in the next weeks.

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanks for your kind comments Pierromcdo, and I hope things improve for you soon.
      Michael

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pierromcdo
      Supportive

Pierromcdo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      *Quick update:
      I just bought some melatonin to bring back my sleep. Talked with the pharmacist and she told me not to take melatonin,gindko and magnesium at the same time, because if it helps, i will not know wich one is effective!
      So hope i'll be able to sleep in the next few weeks!

*Good point: I'm not that depressed about the hissing anymore, if it goes away cool, if it stays, I'll just live with it. I dont know if this hissing is a bit smoother or if im starting to get used to it, maybe just the fact that it doesnt stress me as the first two week helps!

• Like Like x 1
    14. Jenni8619
      Inspired

Jenni8619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hope you get some good night sleeps :)

FYI, melatonin might give you some weird crazy dreams!

Jenni

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pierromcdo
      Supportive

Pierromcdo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Jenni8619 Damn, usually my dreans are already crazy lol . You how are you doing?

16. Jenni8619
      Inspired

Jenni8619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Pierromcdo LOL!!

The last 3 days have been better! I've been getting some sleep, makes a difference! I have my appetite back, so I must be feeling better haha! I still get anxious once in while, when I really start thinking about everything! But my T hasn't been bothering me as much since the ear pain, pressure and neck pain is gone! Thank goodness!

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pierromcdo
      Supportive

Pierromcdo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Jenni8619 Happy to hear you got your sleep back!! Sleeping is so important. Great that your major symptoms went away!! That is some good news! You are getting your self back on track!
      Let.me know how it goes in the next days!