3 Weeks of Hell...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sofie C, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Sofie C

Sofie C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      26/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluid
      Hi All,

I've been lurking here for the past three weeks (rather obsessively according to my partner).

My ears started ringing on the 28th of January 2018. It scared me but I fell straight asleep, the next morning I was starting a new job so I had to put it in the back of my mind.

I had been sick with a cold so I assumed it could be this, went to my local GP and she said that she could see a small bit of fluid behind my ears (both were ringing but the left was very ..eh.. pitchy?) anyway she gave me antibiotics and sent me on my way. A week later I went back because it didn't stop. Different GP, checked my ears and still said there's a tiny bit of fluid and the ringing WILL stop. I found it hard to believe, he gave me sleeping tablets (my partners mother already gave me some), some stemetil (which in my opinion made the ringing worse) and sent me on my way again.

For the first week, I had severe anxiety, didn't eat didn't sleep without aid, had an hour of severe H but pushed through it and went on. It's making me anxious still but nothing compared to the first week.

My left ear feels funny, kinda like numb or full. ENT's are highly expensive here in Ireland so I'm unsure.
      Some days the ringing isn't bad, then it's like BAM loud again, for example yesterday I went for a nap and woke up with such high pitched ringing ... I had To get out of the house.

My biggest problem is thinking too much.
      The doctor has told me this is because of fluid, but I'm constantly worrying it's because I've listened to loud music and gone to concerts. Because of the anxiety I've been clenching my jaw and tensing my neck therefore I worry it's TMJ.

I don't know what I hope to get out of this post, maybe tips on how to cope. Masking sometimes works and other times doesn't, not due to the loudness but moreso due to the high pitch of it all. I'm stopping the sleeping tablets soon because I don't want to be dependent.

But yeah...
      That's me ...

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Frizz
      Confused

Frizz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Elephant ear washer (Ear syringing)
      Your story sounds almost identical to mine. Fellow sufferer of ETD here. Honestly I tried everything to deal with my symptoms, from decongestants to nasal sprays, and nothing worked but steroids. I took methylprednisolone on a rather short six day taper starting with 24mg, but unfortunately when I finished it off the problem came back, and now in desperation I'm on a taper of Prednisone, praying for the best.

As for coping, I seriously wish I could help you, but I'm not dealing with this well at all, but I know a lot of people here have it probably worse than me and are trying their hardest every day... I'm sure they could help at least somewhat...

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      A very common cause for T is damage to the auditory system. While not perfect, a hearing test can provide a baseline to check if you have obvious damage to your hearing. A "perfect score" doesn't mean you don't have damage, but a "not perfect" result is indicative of damage (it's a sufficient condition, but not necessary).

I'd suggest that as your next step. From now on, please protect your ears from loud sounds.

Good luck

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Michelle Hopkins

Michelle Hopkins Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Sofie C

I totally feel your pain and anguish! I've had my T for maybe 12/13 years and it's always been somewhat manageable for me. About a week ago I tried some devices and hearing aids to try and to help but they have made it so much worse and I'm really struggling to cope now! It is then that I joined this forum and have gotten some good advice from people. I too find that some masking attempts don't work because of the initial level of the T....ive started taking magnesium tablets in the hopes that it may reduce the noise.

We all know that stress, anxiety and worry all contribute to our T getting progressively worse. I'm going to start Yoga to see if it helps.... Try and remain positive and i would def go to your ENT department if you can!

All the best
      Michelle

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sofie C

Sofie C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      26/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluid
      I really hope it helps you! I'm gonna wait another week and go back to the GP if it's still bad. GP's here cost €60 Euro a visit so that sucks!

Thank you very much! I've considered a hearing test and will most definitely take this on board!
      Ive been taking magnesium every morning also hoping this helps! Thank you very much for your comment! ♥️

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You could try taking amitriptyline. It is non-addictive and it doesn't make you feel drowsy the next day.

Check out the thread below where I summarize everything (27 tips) I learned about managing tinnitus after reading the posts on this forum for the past year.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

• Like Like x 1
    7. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Constant thinking and obsession with tinnitus, is very natural. It can take quite a while to manage and get a grip on the tinnitus. Each person is different and our circumstances are also different. I suggest that you talk things out with people that you trust and care about. Possibly talk to a therapist and explain just how you feel.

Years of loud music/places can take a toll on your ears. Since you have tinnitus now, i suggest that you protect your ears and avoid loud places/people. Avoid negative places/people. Do NOT overprotect your ears and over-obsess. This will just train your mind to be scared of all noises.

Not all noises are harmful and dangerous. It will take some time to learn how to deal with tinnitus. Come here and seek support and please avoid reading negative posts on this forum.

As my good friend @Michael Leigh says "avoid headphones at all costs". Headphones can be harmful to the ears and I agree with him on that.

As my good friend @glynis says "Time is the biggest healer of them all". Healing simply means, that we can slowly adapt/manage/cope/habituate and live our lives with tinnitus. You are not alone, we are here and will always support you :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1