35 or 40 Years — Really Don't Know What Silence Is...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Auto.Pilot, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Auto.Pilot

Auto.Pilot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/1985
      Hello all,

I have been lurking around for a few days and decided to introduce myself. A desk-job worker and part time drummer in a Motown/soft rock band. I play drums a lot and did not protect myself for many many years.

T since ? I have no memory silence... guessing at least 35 years. Oddly, it never gets worse and never gets better. Always a high E-flat. I have resolved myself to a lifetime of T. I have never discussed it with any doctor. Why am I here? Not long ago, a chiropractor friend told me that T is the leading cause of suicide in senior citizens. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      No.

Depression is the leading cause of suicide in elderly people.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I work in aging issues. Agreed, depression is considered to be the major cause... although I don't know of significant research that definitely tracks "cause" among older suicides, although there are reliable stats of suicide rates by age. ATEOS may correct me on my research statement. Elders are right up there with teens in terms of suicide risk, stats show. Senior suicides tend, by anecdote, to be related to terminal illness or dementia issues, financial problems, bereavement and loss of autonomy.

As far as documented rates: Tinnitus-based suicides appear to be very rare among all age groups. You might want to ask your friend where he got his information, @Auto.Pilot.

And.: I also have resolved myself to a lifetime of T, although I only have had it for barely a year. But something else will ultimately take me out. My tinnitus, as much of a bear as it can be, will not kill me and never will extinguish my will to live.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      But T leads to depression and anxiety, at least for me.
      So I don't know where I will be in one year if I cannot habituate or the volume drops.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Hey Martin, my thoughts exactly ... on meds for D and A caused by T, and i also dread the future !!! But i'm taking the advice of the many wise people on this forum, and will not allow myself to think about the future, i can't worry about something that hasn't happened yet, i'll worry in a year when and if my T has not improved, by that i mean Habituation.
      This is hard to do as every day i wake up and think here we go again!!! what if this, and what if that, so i push those thoughts out of my head, and start thinking about what i have to get done in the day that i'm living now, i tell myself never mind about next week, next month, next year, etc, etc, get on with today!!! On that note i'm wishing you a good day, with good thoughts, we'll do this Martin, just remember to protect those precious ears as best you can ... if in doubt get your plugs out...

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Suicide goes across the board on age, look at children these days ,lots more peer pressure,than ever was in my day,never knew one case of bullying in my young years,but lot of youngsters have resorted to this,in recent years,so schools are trying to stamp it out,kids get depressed as well as adults,now Drs are looking out for these signs,along with teachers.
      Adults well I'd go along with Lady Di,health age related issues can put an adult into thinking suicide,lots have no family,and very little outside contact,especially when they live on there own,lots are old school,don't want to be a bother.
      So I don't think T has more .id say it was rare,other health issues my guess not only T if anything .
      These sites encourage people to talk,thanks to the internet.look how we all chat away,all good.

• Like Like x 5
    7. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      In my first months of tinnitus i remember researching this. Everything i saw said that people with T were not more likely than others to commit sucide. Ill try to find the links but iv e heard it a few times on this board from others as well.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hi Carol.
      Yes. Living day by day. But the world is demanding. Job, family, everyone. Not easy to function with A, D, T and side effects. Currently I have good days with my family on vacation. Really enjoy the time.
      I hope we will get used to this. Give it some more months. Dr. Hubbard says, most people habituate between 12 and 18 months. But I have to remind me every day.
      BTW, I have no noise-induced T. Mine came from anxiety/stress. I do not protect my ears. I enjoy places where it is very loud since I do not hear my. Of course I protect where also people without T would get hearing damage.
      Take care and all the best,
      Martin

• Like Like x 1
    9. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      By 2020, a drug or procedure will manage, reduce or eliminate T.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 3
    10. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Even on our worst day,we still got to believe that one day this will be a thing in the past,there finding cures every day,or getting closer ,new drugs for various ailments that few years ago weren't around.Never say never.Im with you Jay.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I really have a good feeling about autifonys drug.. For all we know that could be the cure and its just sittin there waitin to be tested.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Auto.Pilot

Auto.Pilot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/1985
      Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. This is very helpful.

Can someone please explain habituation?

jim

13. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Hey Jim, Habituation is basically when you no longer react to your tinnitus. It does not carry any emotional weight and you can go about your day as you would without it. Its just there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Auto.Pilot

Auto.Pilot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/1985
      Ahhh - Sort of like when I formerly lived near an airport. Visitors would ask how I could handle the noise, but I had blocked it out. I didn't actively attempt to ignore the sounds of landing airplanes. It just happened over time. This is not true for my T, however. I'll need to investigate.

15. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Exactly. Good luck on your journey, these links maybe helpful if your trying to habituate they have been quite helpful to me.

http://stringplayer.websitetoolbox.com/post/words-of-wisdom-2964711

• Like Like x 1
    16. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hey A.P. welcome to the group. Well I am 67 & have had T for a bt over 2 years, the type of T is like standing next to one of those jets taking off, for me it's Jets 75% of the time the other 25% is like a Piper.

Born & raised in The Big-D. Saw a lot of Motown performers at dances at the Armories, Club 182 and some I can't remember their names. Hitsville USA Motowns former headquarters is about 45 minutes away. They turned it into a museum of sorts for the public.

Oh yes, as to your question. I myself have never thought of offing myself for T or anything else for that matter. I figure sooner or later I'll be gone anyway, what's the rush....

• Like Like x 2
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Auto.Pilot

Auto.Pilot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/1985
      I have lived in metro Detroit my whole life and visited the Motown museum for the first time last year. Very cool place! I learned that many of the background sounds like clapping and finger snapping were added by random people who were hired out in the street. Barry Gordy was a busy guy!

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Auto.Pilot

Auto.Pilot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/1985
      wow... there is a lot of great info on that linked site. thanks!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      That's the way to go Grace,right positive thinking,I know you've had some rough old days,like us all,but you keep thinking the way you and others on site do,it's hope that keeps us going,I look at the gene found for breast cancer,that's not long been found,now women as well as men get tested for faulty family gene.Hope is eternal they say,just got to believe it for tinnitus to.Keep your chin up,soldier on.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    20. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Yes it is a very cool place to visit. My favorite home bred Motown singer is "Smokey" to me he still sounds pretty good for being 74