5 Months In... Does It Get Much Better?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sgguy46, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hi 46 yo asian guy and i am 5 months into severe T which i can hear almost everywhere except the shower. It is a sharp 13khz metallic ring in my head. It came on after a flu and a period of stress.

Been thru all the panic attacks, depression and anxiety and sleepless nights. Almost two months of nightmare. Now i am sleeping again and learning to not react to the tinnitus. I just let it ring. Sounds good ...BUT

Now i am just in a numb state. I have no interest in anything. I just want to sleep. Life has lost its taste. Nothing is enjoyable anymore.

Does anyone else feel like this? Is it normal? Has anyone gotten past this? I want to learn to enjoy life again even with this sound in my head. Anyone with similar experience and have gotten out of it? Thanks a million.

2. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Hi @Sgguy46 what you describe is perfectly normal and mirrors the same situation I went through. You should get out there and slowly get yourself back into the things you previously liked doing. Remember to continue to protect your ears going forward and carry a set of ear plugs with you if you find yourself in a loud situation. Remember, time is your friend here :)
      I would also suggest reading through the success stories here to see how other people went through these situations and came through just fine.

• Like Like x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi sgguy46,
      It sounds like you still have some depression so maybe see your doctor and see if you can have some talking therapy and if on AD meds maybe increase them.

Tinnitus is not nice to have but remember we are in total control over what makes us happy and show our ears who's the boss ....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thanks Rube and Glynis
      I feel i am a different person now ... and i fear i cannot get myself back

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You will I promise.
      You might feel like you have fell off the bottom step of a ladder and finding life hard but baby steps and you will climb back up again.

Try looking forward to the small things in life as add up to big ones and your confidence will come back also.

Think about watching a evening program with a lovely hot drink and think of going for a nice walk tomorrow and going buy a paper .
      Make small plans that don't put pressure on you so can go at your own pace .

Keep posting for support and will be here for you also.
      Have to go out soon but will be on later in the evening.
      Welcome pm me and even phone me if in the UK ......lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Hi, Sgguy46,

It sounds like you would benefit from an anti depressant, as you describe Classic symptoms of depression, which would certainly be a normal response to all of this. I know this as I am a mental health clinician by training. I also think you would benefit from some CBT. I am no an expert in T but do know a lot about CBT. From what I have read, it will help with the habituation process. Please make an appointment with a psychiatrist or other appropriate provider or counselor for help. We all need a little help now and then and dealing with T is a profound challenge.

Wishing you all the best.

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      I feel the same way sometimes... I keep referring to "my past life"...but I know I've got to stop this.