6 Weeks with Tinnitus: Could Listening to Programmes with Earphones at Night Have Caused It?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ggina, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Ggina

Ggina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been suffering from tinnitus in my left ear for around 6 weeks. I’m looking to get some information as to whether it should be a cause for concern?

I used to listen to programmes using earphones throughout the night. Could this be a reason for getting tinnitus even though the volume was low?

I have no hearing loss, just a beeping sound in left ear which changes through the day from a constant high pitch beeping in the morning to on and off throughout the day.

Any advice much appreciated.

2. Kirstystired

Kirstystired Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Wish I had some advice for you. Hopefully someone will come along and offer their advice xx

• Like Like x 1
    3. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      @Contrast can teach you about hidden hearing loss, which you might have.

@Michael Leigh can teach you about the dangers of headphones/earphones.

I can tell you that 6 weeks is a short time to have tinnitus and you can still get better. Give it time.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ggina

Ggina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @ajc thank you so much for the information and positivity I realise that 6 weeks is nothing compared to some people and mine is not as bad as I have to listen to hear it which is why it’s worse in the mornings when it’s quiet.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Ggina

The most common cause of tinnitus is exposure to loud noise and is typically caused by using earphones or headphones of any description. Using earphones throughout the night is not a good idea as you risk developing tinnitus. The ears were not designed to have audio pumped into them through earphones even at low volume all night. This is probably the cause of your tinnitus. My advice is to stop using earphones/headphones/headset immediately for at least 3 months, until the tinnitus hopefully goes away or reduces to a low level.

My advice if you want to take it is to never use headphones again even at low volume. These devices are dangerous in my opinion but it's your choice. Please click on the links below and read my articles on tinnitus that you might find helpful. Try to avoid sleeping in a quiet room by using low level sound enrichment. More about this is explained in the links.

Best of luck
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ggina

Ggina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Michael Leigh thank you for the advice. I have stopped using the earphones as soon as the tinnitus started. Some days are better than others. I have not noticed a change so far but I will certainly take your advice and not use them and hope it will get better. Thank you so much.

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Ggina

You are welcome.

Please take your time and read all my articles as they were written for people with Noise induced tinnitus. The thing not to do at the moment is to go to any doctors for treatment just leave your ears alone. The only thing I recommend if you're feeling stressed then talk to your doctor about this. If you are experiencing: deafness, dizziness, balance problems or acute pain in the ears, then this needs attention. However, I suspect your tinnitus is noise induce and for this, the best treatment for now is to Leave your ears alone. Just read the articles that's all you need for now.

Take care
      Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ggina

Ggina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Michael Leigh you have been very helpful and informative I will take time and read the articles! Thank you again you’ve really put my mind at rest. You can get panicked from using the internet for diagnosis especially with tinnitus is only one ear.

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Ggina

I have had noise induced tinnitus for many years the same as other people in this forum. Please do not waste your time reading information on the Internet for cures or treatments because the best treatment for you at the moment, is to leave your ears alone and do nothing. Your tinnitus will improve with time so just be patient. As I have said and it's mentioned in my articles, if you're feeling stressed, anxious this is normal in the early stages of tinnitus so talk to your family doctor about this.

Michael