6 Years Later, Tinnitus Does Not Matter to Me Anymore

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by PDodge, Apr 27, 2023.

1. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      If anyone remembers me, I've been a member of Tinnitus Talk for at least 6 years. In January 2017 I went to a house party that changed my life. As a long time musician (no hearing protection... yes I know), I was not diligent with my hearing. No one talks about tinnitus, no one talks about the way it can flip your life upside down in a matter of hours... or minutes. I suffered for at least 4 years with debilitating tinnitus. I'm talking a whole slew of noises from 5 kHz - 15 kHz. ringing so painfully that I thought of ending my life. I sat through it all. The mental anguish, thoughts of suicide, how my life would never be normal and only being productive on "normal" days when my tinnitus was low. Through diligence in protecting my hearing and being very VERY cautious in what activities I do, I can say that, 6 years later, my tinnitus does not matter any more. It's like an itchy ass. Sure it's there, some days worse than others, but it doesn't define me.

It's been a long journey, many sleepless, anxious, stress-filled nights.

Tinnitus Talk has helped me so much in learning and processing what's going on. I hope you all find peace in the madness and we can find a solution to this BS.

I might be around to answer to questions, but I'm forgetful and work a fucked up schedule.

Take care,
      Peter

• Winner x 13
      • Like x 7
      • Agree x 5
      • Friendly x 2
      • Optimistic x 2
      • Hug x 1
      • Informative x 1
    2. Stayinghopeful
      Procrastinating

Stayinghopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened with COVID-19 / Anesthesia
      Good to read your story!

What do you do for work and did tinnitus impact it?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      @Stayinghopeful, thanks! I work as a public safety dispatcher so ya, I did for sure. It was tough to hear the radio through the ringing!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Thank you for reporting back. Can you provide more details? Did you habituate or was it a combination of tinnitus loudness being reduced? Four years is quite a time to reach "no longer bothersome" stage.

5. RainbowCat
      Lurking

RainbowCat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hopefully @PDodge will reply to you, but what I have seen in many stories of habituation is that it comes in stages and you have setbacks. Probably they weren't suffering everyday during those 4 years, they had good days and other days were not so good, until approximately 4 years later their tinnitus was not a problem at all.

This is also what is happening to me. I'm almost 9 months in, and I can't say I have been suffering everyday, but for sure the last month I have been feeling happier and more "normal", while I still dislike my tinnitus. And I don't discard that I might have an emotional setback, but hopefully not... And most probably I'll be able to also shake those feelings and habituate.

• Like Like x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Combination of habituation + loudness reduction. As @RainbowCat said, I had constant, horrible tinnitus for about 2 years straight. And healing is not linear. I'd have one good day, then a bad week, then two good days and a bad month etc. until I had more good than bad days.

I had horrible ear pain + hyperacusis for a while, both went away after some time (year+?). I still have tinnitus but when I hear it, I just shrug my shoulders and am thankful I'm no longer suffering.

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    7. gameover

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      You people are so strong. I an with fairly severe tinnitus and mild/miderate hyperacusis, no pain, yet I feel like I need to end it. It's the anguish that's killing me apparently.

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Ah, you remind me so much of myself. I did, however, get over my anxiety stage much faster, and unfortunately my tinnitus hasn't gone down, but the massively improved stability has played a massive part. I, however, live my life to the fullest of my abilities and value every new day. I applaud your progress, brother, and wish you the very best in life :beeranimation:

• Like x 3
      • Hug x 3
      • Agree x 2
      • Friendly x 2
      • Informative x 1
    9. RainbowCat
      Lurking

RainbowCat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You are also strong. Most of us had or still have those thoughts. In my opinion, the difference comes when you challenge them, when you don't listen to them. For that there are many techniques.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    10. gameover

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      I wish. I am not sure. The worsening hyperacusis is truly debilitating me, and that's just loudness hyperacusis, no pain. This is hell on earth already, yet it can be worse? Fuck it.

11. RainbowCat
      Lurking

RainbowCat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It can also get better. Going the route of the negative what-ifs won't help you. We have risks of bad things happening all the time, in regards of anything, but you can't go living in fear and avoiding things all the time.

It's good to take precautions and know your limitations, of course, but even if you lie to yourself, it's much better to tell yourself positive things like "It's hard, but I'll learn to cope. I'll habituate, time is on my side".

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    12. gameover

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      I suppose. I am kinda trying to do things, get out, drive, see people, but since my condition has been (slowly) worsening I am not sure it is the right strategy. And I am not really pushing it.

You're right that while living normal I wasn't worried about "what ifs". Yes, the common thought was a car accident, driving is probably the most dangerous thing we engage in (except DIY'ing, which is how I hurt myself), yet we don't think about an accident every moment. I kinda did, and always have been hyper focused on driving (no distractions behind the wheel, etc), and it has so far worked. Wish I paid similar care to safety around loud tools. Well, I did, just made one time (fatal) mistake.

At the end of the day it's the suffering from the internal (tinnitus) and external (hyperacusis) noises that's killing me. Frankly, I begin to worry less about the future. The present is bad enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      Spot on @RainbowCat.

This is so true, and has always been my mantra deep within throughout this journey. All the "what ifs" makes you stuck in the past. Let us also remember that you only have to think about today, and cope with that (if that is where you are at right now). You don't know what tomorrow brings.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      @PDodge, congrats my friend. I'm really happy to see you have moved on so much.

It is incredible how fast the years pass, I feel like it was just a short time ago that I registered on Tinnitus Talk and read your and others' stories in search for some hope. Now it is also for me 5 years since getting tinnitus.

I hope to read an update in the future from you :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. SarahMLFlemmer

SarahMLFlemmer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accutane (withdrawl)
      Here for you gameover. Lean on us while we lean on you too! :cool:

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    16. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Two recurrent problems with @PDodge's success story:

1) A chronically itchy ass would drive me to insanity nearly as much as tinnitus has;

2) Various prescription lotions and steroids are available to alleviate this condition.

I swear that I do not go tendentiously looking for such objections; they just automatically occur to me while reading these habituation success accounts.

There is thus a hollow core at the heart of all of this advice that when considered feels like being told that it is easy to drive a car with two flat tires.

The summer has always caused a real, unbearable exacerbation to my tinnitus (and I have no idea why).

I frankly don't know if I am capable of suffering through another one; there seems to be some principle involved in refusing to be tortured any further by a Pitiless, Hideously Indifferent Universe.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    17. gameover

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      @PDodge, I hope you still visit here from time to time to answer this question.

Regarding loudness reduction, can you describe it more? Sounds like it was bad for 2 years, then what? Did it start gradually to go down? How would you describe its present level now? Thanks!

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Imagine a train coming to a halt + the pain that comes with that, that is how it was. I quit using any headphones. Any power tools, so much as a drill, I used earplugs/earmuffs. I found the pain went away first. I couldn't tell you when because I was still so distraught from the sounds. Definitely over a year or two. This might sound stupid because so many people here haven't had success with it but I made my own sound therapy that I used 30 minutes a day. Sometimes It would quiet the tinnitus, sometimes not.

I would say my tinnitus is present (same frequency level: 10 kHz+) but less intrusive. I don't know if I got used to it or if it got quieter because the first time with tinnitus is fucking awful. Either way I don't think about it often, but when I do, it's a fleeting thought and I am so diligent now with hearing protection that I never do anything risky with my ears.

Wish you all the best. Again thanks for Tinnitus Talk and its members for helping me through such a dark period in my life. I literally would not be here if not for this platform and you guys!

I'll be back once in a while for anyone who has questions. Thanks and take care.

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. gameover

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Amazing. Gives hope. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1