A Do-It-Yourself TRT (Tinnitus Retraining Therapy) Guide?

Discussion in 'Support' started by WesWeaver, Dec 19, 2015.

1. WesWeaver

WesWeaver Member

I'm interested in trying Tinnitus Retraining Therapy on my own with pink noise.

How would you recommend I get started?

My main questions relate to what pink noise to use and at what volume and frequency level?

2. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      WesWeaver

WesWeaver Member

4. Vincent777
      Supportive

Vincent777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      25/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced after a rock concert where I played
      Greetings, has anybody tried this and does it work?

5. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      The Chat Hyperacusis forum would probably be more helpful to you at this time. This sort of thing is their forte.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Vincent777
      Supportive

Vincent777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      25/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced after a rock concert where I played
      Thank you PaulBe.

7. Rezident_Zinger

Rezident_Zinger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I fell asleep with my headphones.
      Hi, guys...

I am a new member to this forum. I have not read anyone else's posts. However, I have been on other forums in the past. Please don't be insulted that I am making a post without being involved in the community.

I have just recently realized that TRT might be nonsense. It is absurd to have to pay close to $5,000 for devices to be made, and counseling services. The devices make noise. The noise could easily be recorded, and uploaded to iTunes.

1. Does anyone know what kind of noise is necessary for TRT? Is it "white noise", "blue noise", etc?

I have custom made ear plugs that I have inserted my earbuds into, and I use the with "violet noise".

2. I experience sensations that feel like static, in different areas of my body, but they are random, and not significant. They are more powerful with the loudness of the noise. I have also experienced them with music, in general. Does anyone know what this might be?

3. I used to tell my doctors about my muscles twitching, randomly, and that I correlated it with music. No one had an answer for me. Does anyone have any clue?

I have been able to deal with T/H since 2001. Now, I have decided to treat myself, after doctors telling to "forget about it", telling me that normal sounds should not affect me, and yet, I get symptoms such as coolness on my scalp. The lack of empathy that professionals have, and the passivity with which those who are supposed to be helping is evil.

I have made tremndous improvements with living with T/H, but I know that if I could overcome both, my life would be, greatly, improved. I go to the gym everyday, I teach photography, and I perform comedy. I will buy the TRT manual, and begin my therapy. Thanks.

8. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      Have you read the Jastreboff-Hazel book (you mentioned you were going to review the TRT manual), or:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0ahUKEwiGvaK2vsnNAhWEVh4KHSOrCogQFgg9MAQ&url=http://studentacademyofaudiology.com/sites/default/files/journal/JAAA_11_03_05.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFA_m__blZ9YNZJFJnIpRrE6RIYXQ&cad=rja

TRT makes no claims to patented noise by any means, and the devices worn are known as 'white noise generators'. The main benefits are that they can be worn constantly, don't block the ear canal, can be adjusted for each ear in volume, and the wearer can forget they are wearing them (this is the goal). They can be purchased as cheaply as $900 US if one shops around. Again, the sound is not so special (white noise in general), but the package and means of delivery is. One of the main complaints you will find on this forum is that ENTs and other mainstream medical professionals routinely dismiss T patients with little explanation or care for their overall well being. TRT counseling is exactly the opposite of this. My TRT pro has T, is an expert audiologist, has treated many people with T and H, and was fantastic. TRT is not a cure for T, but helps people to habituate, who otherwise would find it difficult or maybe impossible to accomplish.

Best wishes, you will find many supportive voices on this forum, Trebor

9. Rezident_Zinger

Rezident_Zinger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the info, Engineer, but I have always wanted to see what the devices look like, but have not been able to locate an image. Do you have one?

I have been listening to white noise, recently, bu even at the lowest level, it seems to bother me. I can listen to loud music, and be better.

I switched to pino noise, because it seemed softer, but still I experience sensations throughout my body, which go away with avoidance of sound...so I am not too worried, but it seems that TRT might not be for me if this is the case, but I will still continue to entertain my options.

Thanks.

10. Rezident_Zinger

Rezident_Zinger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I will read the article on the link, and buy the book in July.

11. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      The book is good. Its important to 'have the faith' when you are doing TRT. The book helps as it lays out a rational hypothesis to explain why the two components of TRT might work. (counseling + WNG usage)

Here's some good WNG's. I own some over the ear pure tone devices. They are reasonably priced compared to buying them from an ENT or other. They ship from the UK anywhere in the world.

http://www.puretone.net/pt_tinnitus.html

I've heard other folks say they don't like the white noise. I get it. For me, it was fine and immediately distracted me from my T. I think the important thing is to have background noise that distracts you, at a lower level than your T. As you progress, lower the volume of that noise. Eventually, you are left with your T only, but you are fully habituated, and don't need the background noise. I'm at this point after about 17 months. Its slow, and there are plenty of 2-3 week setbacks that challenge your confidence. Its a rocky road. Be prepared for the setbacks. Don't let them sap your confidence. The purpose of the background noise is to lower the relative strength of the T signal, lower your anxiety, and give you a pathway towards habituating the T signal that would otherwise not have existed at full T volume without background noise. The TRT counseling is extremely helpful to building the patients faith that the process will work, and weathering the setbacks. Its part education, part coaching, part audiologist ... but an important element for most people that otherwise would not habituate on their own accord.

Best wishes! Trebor

12. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I just ran across a pretty remarkable testimonial by a man on a ME/CFS forum who used Tinnitus Retraining Therapy with GREAT success, soley by following the instructions in an online video. Per the title of this thread, I felt it definitely fit in the "DIY category". Here's the the link to the post: My Cure for Sound Sensitivity. Below is the beginning of his post: The rest of his post describes exactly how he made it work. -- @Michael Leigh

"I have discovered something that has cured my sound sensitivity, it is TINNITUS RETRAINING THERAPY. I had HORRIBLE sensitivity to sound, and tinnitus retraining therapy SAVED me. The sensitivity was so bad that I was literally on the verge of ending it all, I thought there was no hope, I thought there was no chance it would work, but I had to give it a shot, and it WORKED.

I highly, highly, highly recommend it to all CFS patients suffering with sound sensitivity (hyperacusis). It works for all types of sound sensitivity, no matter the cause. It is the only CFS symptom that I have ever been able to improve. If sound sensitivity is something you are struggling with, please please please try tinnitus retraining therapy. I did it without spending a dollar. All I did was listen to this video..."​

• Like Like x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

HI @Lane

Thank you for this information and I'm pleased that the person in question managed help himself doing DIY TRT and using headphones! Great job and I congratulate him.

Some people believe if they have TRT and I mean the proper treatment: wearing two white noise generators and having regular counselling with an Audiologist/Hearing Therapist and it doesn't work then the treatment is scam and they have been robbed. This is not necessarily the case.

The person in the link you provided had one of the most essential ingredients that I think is required to enable someone to habituate and move on with tinnitus. That is having a positive mindset. One can have difficulty with their tinnitus but still retrain a positive mindset and I've explained this in many of my posts and articles. Unless positivity is present, doesn't matter whether a person has the best tinnitus treatment in the world they will not get much success from it.

As well has having good quality counselling with a Therapist, the patient has to reinforce positivity by engaging in things they like to do. Accentuate the positive things in their life as this gives direction and purpose. It is for this reason it's vitally important, a person with tinnitus does not get too attached to negative thinking people at forums who believe treatments for tinnitus do not work.

A member of this forum tried DIY TRT and it improved his tinnitus and hyperacusis, is @Coffeebean When you have the time please read his posts as they are well written and interesting.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    14. Fanny1

Fanny1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Lane could a layperson understand this as getting a callous on your hands? Your body doesn’t like the skin getting ripped up and the skin gets thicker... so by gradually turning up the volume, the brain adjusts?

I’m interested in trying this DIY method, I tried the “Tinnitus Mix” but it seems to suppress the tinnitus for 2 minutes... then it comes back... but my painful hyperacusis never changes.

Thanks... maybe you could explain it for a non-scientist :) and non-native English speaker.

15. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Fanny1 -- That's a good question, one I really don't have an answer for. One thing I did notice right away, was that when I started listening to the faint hiss sound in the video, I found it to be rather calming. This was unlike other various kinds of TRT sounds or videos I've run across that were supposed to be helpful. I found most of them tended to at least somewhat irritate my ears or nerves, and it didn't seem like a good idea to press things. But this sound feels different, and I anticipate giving it a try, which I'll start out doing without headphones.

BTW, I'm not a scientist either, which I believe sometimes gives me certain advantages. I think if I was an overly rigid scientific thinker, I wouldn't be as open to non-scientific possibilities. Sometimes thinking outside the box solutions are not only worth trying, but they often work, even when science hasn't necessarily confirmed it. A bonus is that the ones I'm interested in trying are usually relatively low-cost, safe, and effective. Doing things on my own also gives me a greater sense of control. I realize that's not everybody's preference, but it works for me! :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1