A Man with Tinnitus for 30 Years Didn't Know What It Was

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jason37, May 11, 2018.

1. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I worked with another home inspector today who has bad tinnitus for thirty plus years from shooting a .45 into a creek bank and didn't know what it was called. He asked me why I had ear plugs in while they were pouring concrete. And I told him I had tinnitus in one ear from a gun shot...he looked at me and "is that what they call that?"

We talked for quite awhile and he said he has never used earplugs in every day life since that time! He doesn't really know if it has gotten louder but when we went to lunch he could hear it over the highway noise with the windows down.

He was quite puzzled while I was interested in his ears all day....when we were done he said thanks for letting him know he had ringing, he hasn't heard it in years. Some people just don't care I guess.

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 2
    2. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Different strokes for different folks. Some people do indeed deal with it much better than others. A friend of mine had it for three years (and pretty loud) without ever mentioning it, until I told him about mine. Same thing goes for my grandfather. He was in the navy and worked in the engine room for many years, when they hadn't even a clue about the damage noise could do. He has lived with it for 60 years and only started talking to me about it when I was distressed from my own initial experience with it. He always says he 'fights' the noise to the background when it starts creeping up on him (he's an avid reader nowadays).

That is not to say that we aren't dealing with a sometimes debilitating condition, that certainly deserves treatment or a cure. But it shows us that habituation is often possible, even though it is only the next best thing. Sure, these people could still let themselves be 'annoyed' (to use a euphemism) by it, but they choose not to let that happen.

• Agree Agree x 5
    3. Daniel95
      Tired

Daniel95 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Approximately 01/10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/sinus Infection/headphones/maybe antibiotics
      My father is a similar case. He never mentioned his until I got it, but his is so severe that I don't understand how he didn't go crazy. Yet he doesn't care. He says there's more sounds than he can count and he can hear them over everything, but it doesn't bother him at all, and he can "tune out" of it whenever occupied by something else. He always impresses me with something new.

If it wasn't for him I would be entirely convinced habituation is impossible. Still, it's no replacement for a cure.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Anselmo

Anselmo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin
      There are 320 million people in the US and 60 million have tinnitus. Of those 60, 10 percent never adapt, or have an extremely hard time doing so. I fall into that category, as many of you do. We are the 10 percenters. I never new anybody personally who had t until I had it. Then they started falling out of the woodwork. My good friend, and a host of other people. My brother has it, and never missed a night’s sleep. Who knew? I guess the severity and other factors play into this nasty condition.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      "There are 320 million people in the US and 60 million have tinnitus."

Without interruption? That would be really surprising. I am always careful with those big numbers. Same when they mention it in French magazines, they often also count people who briefly have a tinnitus every 6 months.

6. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Exactly the same for me. Didn’t know my dad had it until I was suffering quite significantly, and it turns out he’s had it bad for years. My dad is exactly the type of personality that wouldn’t let it bother him though. He never mentioned it once.

• Like Like x 2
    7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The ATA states here:
      "You have tinnitus, an audiological and neurological condition experienced by nearly 50 million Americans."​

I don't think it means "in a continuous manner".

8. Tempest
      Tired

Tempest Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Ah, the old good "Man up" generation, no shown feelings allowed.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. Anselmo

Anselmo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin
      @Julian87: Of course my French brother, there are all kinds of tinnitus. Intermittent t is one of them. These numbers are estimates at best. Mine went away after a week, only to return. I’ve had static or ringing ever since. Some t goes away for some people completely, with no explanation.

10. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)

The next sentence is about the "continuous T" though (20 millions)

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      That’s not what’s implied here. He just isn’t generally phased by health problems, mentally. In my entire life, I’ve never seen him let anything bother him, and that’s just how some people are. He’s had cancer twice, two bowel operations for a twisted obstruction, and he’s got heart failure. I’m the total opposite. Everything bothers me. Our personality type plays a big role in how we cope when faced with a challenge; particularly health problems. I’m quite an obsessive person which is why I struggle with even little problems. I only need one slight concern in my life and it can easily overwhelm me.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Have you habituated? It is the greatest thing.

13. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      My grandfather has tinnitus and really couldn't care less, it doesn't bother him... It doesn't prevent him from sleeping, he tells me that he just forgets about it. His is severe too.

I think it depends on personality traits, people who tend to be more emotional have a harder time dealing with tinnitus, whereas those who are more rational will just deal with it. Just my observation from being on this forum.

• Agree Agree x 1