A Prospective Study of Caffeine Intake and Risk of Incident of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by bill 112, Mar 15, 2014.

1. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Well I was reading the Daily Mail today and they had published an article about T stateing that new research suggests that people who have caffeine based beverages 3 to 4 times a day were 20-30% less likely to develop T.It also stated that people who have T could reduce it by having caffeine based beverages 3 to 4 times a day.This study was conducted through Harvard University.This is most likely BS but whatever.....

• Informative Informative x 2
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Like Like x 1
    3. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Lol wish this worked for me. I would drink two cups in the morning and prob another 3 throughout the day.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks Markku but I dont know how to add links not exactly a wizz kid with computers :)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Most likely BS research there was a story a few years ago saying eating too many banannas could cause cancer and then a year later there was a new story which said having a bananna a day would prevent cancer??Just pointless research next weeks article will probably be walking 2 miles everyday causes herpes!!:)

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. Hattukoira
      Tired

Hattukoira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2010
      Hmm..my T is always quieter after drinking one can of energy drink. I'm not sure if it's the caffeine or other things like vitamins(B12, B3 etc.) that does the trick.

edit:
      Eating bananas calms down my T and they are delicious. lol. I hope that latter story(about the bananas) is right. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Redbull gives you wings??Should be Redbull stops the rings!!:)

• Like Like x 5
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      • Like Like x 2
    9. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Didn't help me. I drank tons of coffee for years....ha ha then I stopped after I got T, now I am back to a couple cups a day

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Tom KW
      Fine

Tom KW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Coffee seems to lower my T as well:)
      can't drink too much though, I'd be walking around on the ceiling (y)

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Coffee has shown to help with many brain related diseases and also prevent them like Alzheimers etc. Makes sense that it could also help with T. Most T advices tell however to STOP drinking coffee / caffeine. If a coffee drinker suddenly stops drinking coffee there will be withdrawal symptoms and thus also stress -> increased T.

12. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      It is a problem that affects some five million Britons. But tinnitus – or at least the risk of developing it – could be tackled by drinking three or more coffees a day.

The findings, from a study involving nearly 70,000 women, suggest caffeine may have a protective effect against the condition – a constant ringing in the ears that can drive some victims to suicide.

Decaffeinated coffee did not have the same benefit.

Pain: Tinnitus is a crippling condition - but could be treated by drinking coffee, a controversial study suggests

Researchers in Canada who tracked coffee-drinking habits in middle-aged women found those who drank three to four cups a day were 15 per cent less likely to develop tinnitus and those on more than four cups were 20 per cent less at risk.

The results, published in the American Journal of Medicine, are controversial because it was thought that too much caffeine made the ringing worse.

But after a 2010 study found tinnitus sufferers who cut caffeine out of their diets saw no improvement, with some actually getting worse, scientists decided to look at whether the world’s most widely-consumed stimulant might be beneficial.

13. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      haha thats made me laugh so hard i it drowned out my ringing hahahaha, mabe laughter is the the key i would laugh my ass off lol... good one bill112

• Like Like x 1
    14. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      As it doesn't say anything else about the lifestyles of these nurses it can't really be considered reliable. It may be a significant number that have not developed tinnitus and drink more coffee, but it could just be a random statistic. It could be influenced by any other number of things too, but they don't mention that they've ruled other things out and adjusted to take account of them. And because it wasn't designed to look for tinnitus it may not have had a very good question set for it, which also will influence the figures.

The problem with the news papers (thinking about the thing with bananas mention above) is that they want a big story, so they overplay small findings from some research and make them out to be fact. In reality they are usually just an interesting statistic that popped up, random things happen and you can misrepresent virtually anything using statistics.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      A tinnitus study involving 70'000 women ... ??!! Who ran the study ? God ? lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    16. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      If this is anything like the original Harvard Nurses Health Study (http://www.channing.harvard.edu/nhs/), this is a goldmine of data with a huge number of participants. I can't remember whether I actually analyzed it or intended to (in my former life as an academic), but it really is one of the largest studies of its kind.

From the website:

The Nurses’ Health Studies are among the largest and longest running investigations of factors that influence women’s health. Started in 1976 and expanded in 1989, the information provided by the 238,000 dedicated nurse-participants has led to many new insights on health and disease.

This Nurses health Study II is discussed here: http://www.channing.harvard.edu/nhs/?page_id=70. There, it explains:
      After exclusions for incomplete forms and women who did not meet study criteria, a total of 116,686 women remained in Nurses’ Health Study II.

This is definitely legit.

-Golly

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The study is definitely legit, it's just how this piece of data is represented that needs to be reviewed a bit more than has been reported.

Their definition of tinnitus and what other factors may have been in play can make a big difference. You need to really dig deep in the statistics and analyse them in different ways to make sure the relationship between tinnitus and coffee isn't false, due to other lifestyle choices. It could also just be a completely random result; drinking loads of coffee could have a strong correlation with having blonde hair, which wouldn't be reported cos they know it's silly.

It is interesting but it does go against the other controlled studies on caffeine to date. Who knows, something in coffee may actually help, I can bet we'll see somebody proposing a study into it soon.

• Winner Winner x 1
    18. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      All good points. And I might add that regardless of how a statistical study turns out, the result need not apply to a given individual. I have experimented quite a bit with diet in connection to my tinnitus, and have found no relationship between caffeine and my head noise. So, whether or not the study is valid, it has no bearing on me.

-Golly

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Absolutely agree. I eat really well, all my food is home cooked, no added sugar, no jar or packet sauces, low salt, no more than 3 tea / 2 coffees a day (too much caffeine makes me jittery and edgy). Makes bugger all difference to my T either.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. Ray Seddon
      Amused

Ray Seddon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unprotected hearing damage
      Hmmm... I don't put much faith in this - I drink too much coffee (espresso also) and it hasn't helped me much - still buzzing away merrily, but then I'm not one of 70,000 women? I'll wait for next week when there'll be another study that says it works the opposite for men... <sigghhhh>

21. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yeah, thought I was alone in this , have read so much about people stopping coffee when hit with T .
      For me it has helped immensely ! I did not drink coffee before T , but I started just to try and get hyped up and get shit done.
      Works wonders for me and guess what , I am OUT/Crashed at about 11 in the evening , starting coffee helped my decades long sleeping problem as well ...weird stuff?!

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. t-man
      Suicidal

t-man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I stopped ingesting caffeine in hopes of calming my t down. It didn't have a significant effect but I sleep a little better and now a coffee will get me buzzed so I just stay away from the stuff.

23. Snake Plissken
      Crappy

Snake Plissken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      Didn't seem to help me! Major caffeine habit for years before my T started.