A Resolved Spike After Attending Sporting Event — Can I Now Attend These Events Again?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Brooklyn NY, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, I attended a Major League Baseball game last week, and wore concert ear plugs with 25 dB filters. Afterwards, there was a spike that lasted 10 days. It has almost subsided to my baseline level.

Is it dangerous to try this again?

Thank you for your attention.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Baseball games have gotten WAY too loud since I was a kid. For some reason they now blast very loud music through speakers in-between innings and before batters come up. I'm not sure why they made it so loud, but the last one I went to I wore ear plugs because it was getting uncomfortably loud. I would suggest maybe going into the bleachers? Wherever there is less speakers might be more safe, but I don't know for sure. Sports games seems to be almost as loud as concerts these days.

3. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would stay away from MLB games. But, it is up to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      Damn I have been living Asia for a few years, not a big sports fan but I would love to attend a major or minor league baseball game or an NFL game (I imagine football is worse). In baseball my worst fear would be a crack of the bat but yes the between action organ and other music sounds like it is getting bad... Bummer.

5. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Nobody can give you a definitive answer. You may or may not be fine. A 10 day spike would be cause for major concern for me personally, and I would avoid the situation that created it from that point forward. But I'm very anxious in general and my worst nightmare is making my tinnitus worse because it's already pretty unmanageable.

If you decide to attend again, how about using both plugs and muffs?

You have to ask yourself how important these events are for you and if they're worth risking making your tinnitus permanently worse because that can absolutely happen. Then again it might not. Imagine this spike never resolved: would you regret going to the game then? Would it be worth it?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Did you drink at the game? Perhaps the spike is from Alcohol rather than the noise?

7. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      Damn bro, thanks.

8. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Well, let's put it this way.

What if the spike was 3 times worse and it lasted forever?

Would the ball game that took your tinnitus to the next level for eternity bring back good memories?

Maybe you might cherish the memory of the loud screams as its echo is being repeated endlessly in your head?

Modern humans have been around for 200,000 years, you don't need ballgames...

Adapt, find something else to go watch that's quieter...

You might think "life is short", sure, but tinnitus isn't short, it's eternal... and you'll need to live with the mistake of that single ballgame forever.

Not worth it if you ask me ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      We are all different and we all have different priorities but an event that spiked your tinnitus for 10 days sounds like your on the "warning track" and may want to listen to your body. It would not be worth the risk for me but I am not a baseball fan. CDNThailand asks the right "what if" questions in my opinion.

George