A Very Loud Vacuum Cleaner Caused a Severe Tinnitus Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by volsung37, Jul 29, 2020.

1. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I have had tinnitus since 2014. For the past couple of years it grew milder and most of the time I could ignore it.

However recently I used a very loud vacuum cleaner for about a half hour straight while renovating a property. I noticed my tinnitus had spiked immediately after I switched the thing off. Now back to levels like 3 years ago.

Take nothing for granted and protect your ears from loud noises!

2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      Oh damn, I remember you. So sorry to hear you're having a spike.

Hoping your tinnitus is s short lived spike.

Have a look at the nicotinamide riboside thread. I think it would be worth consideration.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cheers deb. Remember you too. These hhings happen I suppose

4. JohnL99
      Mellow

JohnL99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise induced
      Volsung, did your spike hopefully go back to baseline?

My tinnitus got lower and I habituated to the point where it was really nothing more than a minor bother for the last 2 years. For the past couple weeks for reasons I can't really easily discern I'm going through a spike. It started with new electronic tones and a few absolutely horrible days. For the past 9 days it has improved every day. It was barely detectable until yesterday it flared up again. Got pretty bad last night. Today it came back hard to ignore again but does not seem quite as bad as last night. I guess recovery is never a straight slope. I have been super careful protecting my ears and not used headphones at all.

I guess the electrical tone has not come back since the very beginning of the spike. The days it's hard to live with is when the air hissing gets very insistent and louder. Sometimes it will almost have a sizzling sound to it.