Acousia Therapeutics

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Samir, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      I want to start a new thread about this company! I know that not a lot is known about it, since it's a small private company. It seems to me that they are written off as insignificant too easily!

However, the founder of this company - Prof. Dr. Hubert Löwenheim - is a senior clinician and researcher with focus on otology and neurotology. He was the first to describe the involvement of cell cycle regulators, especially p27Kip1, in the proliferation and differentiation of hair cells and supporting cells in the cochlea.

In 1998, he founded a company called Otogene AG with the aim to identify an inhibitor of p27Kip1 as a regenerative drug. He also founded Otogene Inc. in Seattle as a subsidiary of Otogene AG. In 2002, Otogen AG ceased its operation, but the US company has continued its operation and is now known as Sound Pharmaceuticals Inc.

Acousia is involved in the EU funded Regain project (ID 634893, EU contribution 5834340 EUR), as well as the Otostem project (ID 603029, EU contribution 5999784 EUR).

Professor Löwenheim is assigned to be the coordinator of the Otostem project. There have been several EU funded projects aimed at hearing restoration over the years, but this might be the biggest one so far. It's international too, because we have the US involved. We find several familiar names here, like Albert Edge from Massachusetts Eye and Ear, one of the founders of Decibel Therapeutics. We also find Stanford university on board, where we know professor Stefan Heller and his team is working on bringing back hearing for millions of people under the so called SICHL initiative.

Other names I want to mention only briefly is professor Helge Rask Andersen from Uppsala university (the only place in Sweden where you will find regenerative research efforts concerning the inner ear), and Rolf Jan Rutten who is the founder of Audion Therapeutics.

Professor Hubert Löwenheim is in it too deep to be neglected as insignificant. After all, he has been selected to lead this project, with all these big names in the field. So with this thread, I want to give the man some credit and recognition for his 20 years of dedicated work in inner ear regeneration. His company may be small and private at the moment, as most startup companies are. But I hope we will hear from this company very soon.

• Like Like x 9
    2. Michael Larsen
      Surfing

Michael Larsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice
      • Like Like x 5
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Thanks for sharing Michael!

So to sum up what it says in the Action On Hearing Loss article.
      • Small molecule drug
      • Gamma secretase inhibitor (GSI)
      • Middle ear injection
      • Successful in (mammalian) animal models
      • Phase I trial starts at Royal National Ear Nose and Throat Hospital in London during the second half of 2017.
      • Phase II trial will start at the end of 2017 and will run in the UK (UCL Ear Institute), Germany and Greece.

• Like Like x 4
    4. dmorg

dmorg Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know, hearing loss related?
      Apparently I have been living under a rock. With all the time I spend online reading about hearing loss(research) I don't know how I missed the REGAIN PROJECT. Brightens your day when you see news like this.

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Michael Larsen
      Surfing

Michael Larsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice
      @Samir

In Germany :) it sounds good, do you think you must have a German citizenship to participate ?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Where do I apply for citizenship? ;)

I don't know about that. So let's wait and see. But I would expect all citizens of participating countries to be allowed to take part.

7. 90's Kid

90's Kid Member

Wow I've never heard about this project !

Is it like FX / Genvec with regrowing hair cells ?

Phase 2 during the end of 2017 ? It's so exciting, is it as promising as FX ?

• Like Like x 1
    8. dmorg

dmorg Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know, hearing loss related?
      At the bottom of the blog it says another blog coming out end of month from researchers/clinicians running REGAIN trial which will provide more info regarding how you can take part.

9. Michael Larsen
      Surfing

Michael Larsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice
      You can always come by and pick me up :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 3
    11. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      If Frequency and Regain both are preforming clinic trials in 2018 that would make 2 concurrent hearing regeneration human trials. How many human hearing regeneration trials have ever taken place? Genvec would count as 1. Has their been any others? Does seem like a changing tide in terms of treatments. My one grip would be that synaptic focused companies don't have the urgency or effort that hair cell companies do.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. 90's Kid

90's Kid Member

That's reallyyyyyyy coooooool.

I mean, it seems like now we know that regrowing hair cells is the BEST way to cure tinnitus.

I remember about Auris failure, but it was an old process based on old papers.

Now it's litteraly booming, like all companies are working as fast as they can to be the first on the market.

I bet that by the end of 2017 with EU trial, if it works the others companies like FX and Genvec will accelerate their work.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      How do we know that ?
      Obviously this is awesome news , but we have no proof at all that this will cure tinnitus.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Didn't expect this at all! Good news!

• Like Like x 2
    15. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      right. It's pretty well documented that over a long period of time, chronic tinnitus causes gray matter density changes in the brain. In some cases this is actually tissue growth, but the thing most associated with tinnitus distress afaik is gray matter loss in the right anterior insula.

So, there's a question of to what degree the brain will repair itself, if hair cell loss is truly reversible. Only one way to find out....

• Creative Creative x 1
    16. 90's Kid

90's Kid Member

Because our current knowledge shows that regrowing hair cells is the current best way to cure T.

• Like Like x 2
    17. Blackneq

Blackneq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hypeeee

18. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      From the blog post it looks like the treatment will turn supporting cells into new hair cells, so if new supporting cells don't grow after the treatment it might compromise the treatment of Frequency Tx which needs supporting cells.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. jcloth

jcloth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am really happy that Phase II is scheduled to follow Phase I so quickly, bodes well. The race is on

• Like Like x 1
    20. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      If you follow Audion, this isn't exactly news. The problem is that this approach directly differentiates existing SCs into HCs so it results in a loss of SCs.

21. 90's Kid

90's Kid Member

So why didn't we hear about REGAIN/ACOUSIA before today ?

It has a high chance to cure tinnitus induced by noise and we'll have phase 1 result before 2017 (and maybe phase 2) !

I still don't get why we are overtalking about FX, Genvec... But this project did start around 2015 and phase 2 before 2018 !

• Like Like x 1
    22. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      I had heard of it before today.
      We certainly don't know the possibility of success (for either hearing loss) before a Phase 1 trial. (For FDA trials, the probability of moving from Phase 1 to 2 is is a bit less than 2/3, and the probability of moving from phase 1 to approval is < 10%.) Moreover, the schedule of a phase 2 trial will depend on the results of the phase 1 trial and the regulatory agencies. The company does not set the actual schedule.
      The project may have started in 2015, but the underlying results are from 2012 or 2013.

• Like Like x 1
    23. 90's Kid

90's Kid Member

It's only your purcentages dude, but I'm really hopeful since they prepare Phase II right after Phase I (means that it will succeed).

- If Phase I and II succeed the treatment will be on the market 1 or 2 years after.
      - If it doesn't succeed like it was planned, others companies will learn about it and go faster.

It's all good man :beeranimation:

• Like Like x 1
    24. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      After a phase II you have to run several phase III and some of them need quite a large number of applicants. So not one or two years after.

Either way we'll know about the efficency of this treatment quite soon (end of next year pronabl)

25. Oh my days! Am I reading this right? Trial in London!

I was wondering what has happened to the Regain project. This is great news to us deaf/ hard of hearing people.

I am scheduled for cochlear implant removal surgery in the next few weeks (right ear). My question is after implant removal would this therapy work? As it requires supporting cells to be turned into hearing cells. How would this work on an profound ear? I can always go for my left ear which has severe HL.

I would rather wait and apply for the phase 2 trial as phase 1 is merely concerned with safety issues regarding the therapy.

I live 90 mins away from London and I will definitely get in touch with the clinical team. Eagerly waiting for next months blog

• Like Like x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      May I ask why you are removing it?

No one really knows what the results will be of this trial.

The real question is if you have enough structural integrity left in that cochlea. This is where inner ear imaging technology could be useful, to help objectively answer this type of question. Unfortunately, we don't have the technology yet. Until we do, we have to rely on patient history and audiologic testing.

Did you get any improvement from the cochlear implant? How long have you had it?

I know there is something called insertion trauma. I am not entirely sure what type of damage to the inner structures of the cochlea these traumas cause. But this has been a heavily debated topic for many years. This trauma can vary in severity, depending on type of electrode used and how it's inserted. Insertion through the round window is considered less traumatic than cochleostomy where they make a hole in the bony part of the cochlea to insert the electrode. Then there is debate on what quadrant of the round window membrane is best to use as to avoid insertion trauma. So they have been trying for many years to find the best ways to insert the electrode, and design the electrode so that it causes least amount of trauma.

So the severity of any structural damage caused by the implant will depend on the type of electrode used and route of insertion.

Insertion causes trauma, and likelihood for a successful therapeutic treatment decreases. However, removal of the implant is likely to cause further trauma. So if you are seriously considering to participate in the trial, perhaps you should postpone the removal of the implant? Maybe you could keep the implant and receive the therapy? This is something you could discuss with your doctors and the trial organizers. I know it's a gamble and not an easy decision to make. But I think you should consider this alternative. Unless you really must remove the implant for some reason.

27. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Do you mean our current guess is that this is the best way to cure T ?
      There is no proof of that , not that I am aware of.

28. jacob21
      Amazed

jacob21 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 > 2009 "cured" >2nd onset June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induce ( loud music )
      This project seems promising! As Razah said don't know if it will cure T for those who have some hearing loss , but we don't know if it won't as well 50/50 ...

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. NatureHiker
      Angelic

NatureHiker Member

You're right. Curing tinnitus by restoring hearing is only just a hypothesis. But it's the best shot we got so far. And a lot of bright minds support this hypothesis.

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 0.04.34.png

At the very least, if restoring hearing doesn't diminish tinnitus then tinnitus researchers can strike this off their list and focus on researching other methods for a cure.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    30. wizman

wizman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1987
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      It may also be good to hear again with or without tinnitus

• Like Like x 2