Acoustic Guitar?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Keegan, May 13, 2016.

1. Keegan
      Cool

Keegan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not sure
      My great passion is music. Hence, why I might be here in the first place. Wish I knew more of the benefits of ear plugs earlier. Sigh.

Is acoustic guitar safe to play with T? I use my decibel counter and it brings me up to almost 90 db. I don't know how accurate that is though.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      I would say yes, acoustic guitar has a very 'natural' warm sound to it. I doubt it would do damage to the ears, but if it feels uncomfortable, you can always wear some filtered plugs and will enjoy your playing without compromising on the sound quality

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keegan
      Cool

Keegan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not sure
      Thank you :) Yay!

4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness

I have musician ear plugs and just bought a new fender guitar and want to learn it, so yes those types of guitar are not all that bad at all....

5. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      Hi all. I am reviving this thread because I have been learning the the acoustic guitar for the past 2 months; the same period where my tinnitus have suddenly become very temperamental again. T seems a bit louder and I have been experiencing increased frequency of fleeting tinnitus, which is not my baseline. I just wonder if there's any connection between these 2. I thought guitar shouldn't posed much harm to the ear but I realize the right ear feels a bit wonky after practice. Could it be because my right ear is constantly facing the guitar when I check the placement of my fingers?

I put on foam ear plugs when I go for my 1 to 1 class and use the ear muff when I practice at home. It sounds like an overkill but the right ear still feels a bit off after each practice.

Would appreciate any inputs.

6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I have stopped drumming and playing plugged in, I can however, still happily play my acoustic guitar and even slap on my acoustic bass. I've noticed spikes from singing though. We are all different with different levels of damage so just test the waters with your toes and not your head.

7. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      FYI for those that are learning I can answer questions about music theory.

8. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      You can reduce the volume of the guitar by putting pieces of insulating foam inside the guitar through the soundhole. You can also get soundhole covers, from online music outlets, or Ama zon.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Many people have found that nylon strings have helped them a bit due to a softer sound. If you have a steel string guitar you can get "silk and steel" strings from Martin - which have a less abrasive tone. They're the right tension for a steel string's truss.

• Like Like x 1
    10. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I agree that nylon is less shrill than steel-strings. Also, if you're having a chronic problem with higher frequencies and you're noodling and doing originals rather than playing well-known covers maybe consider switching to baritone (yes, there are actually acoustic baritone guitars). Also, the type of wood matters. Mahogany yields a mellower tone than other woods. And playing with fingers is milder than using a pick.

I've found my ear gravitating towards the baritone end of the musical scale where I'm less sensitive but I still love the chime of 12-strings. I just have to keep things at an acceptable volume threshold.

11. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I want a baritone so bad. Check the vibes.

Mark Lettieri: Baritone Funk

12. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Is that really the Pawn Stars guy in your avatar?