Acoustic Shock/Trauma — Help!

Discussion in 'Support' started by COYS, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      do you get it from noise? Is it one or both ears?

2. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Nah, I don't get it from noise. I do get it when I like hiccup sometimes, or when I stand up too quickly. Mostly in the right ear, but sometimes happens in the left.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Mine is definitely worse in the mornings. I only really notice it when it’s silent and there’s a sudden noise.

Sometimes when I finish talking. It’s like a spasm that I can feel specifically in my ear.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      that's what I had but it was more frequent.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Really hope mine gets better. I’m hopeful

6. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Oooh. Mine does it when I talk too sometimes, but it's getting less and less every day.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      That’s good to know !

Mine only does it when I talk sometimes

8. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      My fluttering, trigeminal tingling, ear fullness is basically gone. My ears get full on occasion. It's manageable.

Stretch your neck. Give it time.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Thanks Tom

The general vibe I’m getting is that these symptoms get better/resolve in time

10. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      @Tom Cnyc How long would you say your tingling sensations took to go away?

12. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      It took me 10 months or more to do away with the pain hyperacusis symptoms.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      @Contrast did your T decrease too? My T isn’t my biggest concern as it’s quite mild.

Has your pain completely gone now ??

14. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Similar for me.

I still get it after a spike. Interestingly it’s usually the last day of a 2-3 day spike and I almost welcome it because it usually coincides with my ears quieting down a lot.

After 4 months of issues following an ear infection my tinnitus is very low for 3 weeks now.

Have faith, it can get better.

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      @Tom Cnyc thanks :)

I’m having good and bad days at the moment. I’m sleeping much better at the moment too which I think helps

16. magiccat

magiccat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice Induced
      @Tom Cnyc How long did it take for your noise induced tinnitus to start improving? Thanks!

17. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's hard to say. Healing isn't linear, so any date I give you - I've had BAD days after that.

This started for me in May of 2016. I started living life again October of 2017. Hopefully that provides some context.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    18. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.

Wow. Kick that T in the ass, you rock star.

19. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ha. Thanks man. I'm back at a point where I really only hear it in bed when I first wake up and when I'm about to go to sleep. It was like this for nearly a year before my ear infection.

I'd have never dealt with that spike that lasted from Nov - March if I wasn't afraid of Amoxicillin also. I have "regrets" on that one.

I've said this before but, I go to concerts all the time and it hasn't hurt my recovery. This summer I have two festivals, and 3 shows planned already.

Recovery is possible, everyone. Keep faith.

• Like Like x 2
    20. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Please don't give dangerous "advice" to people suffering from real hyperacusis.

• Agree Agree x 3
    21. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dude, seriously shove off.

First - you're suggesting I didn't have a "real" problem. I had to wear earplugs to do literally everything for a year. Your tone is beyond lame and let's not whip it out for the rulers in the suffering olympics.
      Second - maybe I'm not talking to you. That may be a concept that is difficult for you, but there are other people in this world. Maybe I'm talking to a version of myself that needed to hear that life isn't over. A lot people just like that find themselves on this site. This place is a vat of negativity and god forbid! someone feels better and comes back with a positive message from the other side everyone just needs to tear it down.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.

• Agree Agree x 4
    22. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I can tell you for sure, 100% sure, that someone with real hyperacusis cannot go to concerts, not even with earplugs and earmuffs on top, and that real hyperacusis does not heal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Aren't there different variants of hyperacusis when it comes to tolerance? Which also implies hyperacusis is unique to each individual as well? Like some people can't handle dogs barking with H, but another person can. Some people can handle loud volumes of music or voices through a TV, but not their own voice. The burr of a plane engine, but not the consistent rattle of a fan? These are all experiences I have read about - and not just examples, so... it's kind of rude that you're saying he didn't have it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      There are totally separate forms of hyperacusis they have no pathologies in common.

It was Jastreboff who lacked any critical thinking skills and put them all together, and now the field has two decades worth of catching up to do.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There are still sounds that get me. I can go to a concert but truck brakes really aggravate me.

When I get a tinnitus spike, on the last day my ears get sensitive. It usually lasts a day.

I also didn't say that when you're in the pits of a hyperacusis battle that you should be going out to very loud places. I took a year off from everything loud before SLOWLY reintroducing life. What I wrote was
      This means that resuming life hasn't hurt my recovery. Nothing more.

Also, I saw a shrink that specialized in tinnitus and hyperacusis and he told me MOST hyperacusis goes away. I personally know a pro DJ that have recovered. I personally know a producer that has recovered. I have recovered. Neil Young recovered. Andy Timmons recovered. Countless people have. And so can you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    26. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I've had my hyperacusis for over 20 years now, and it doesn't go away. For most of that entire time, I didn't even think to protect my ears, so my hyperacusis not getting better is not from overprotection. But I did avoid loud events, because exposing myself to loud sounds could at times literally "shatter" my system for up to several days, leaving me wishing I could just die.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I have real hyperacusis and you don't. Just saying that for probably a fairly small minority like myself, the prospect of ever going to any kind of loud event is really pretty much out of the question. Unless I'm willing to suffer disporportionately for it--which I don't. But everyone person has to test the waters for themselves to see what they can handle and what they can't. And if they can safely handle something they enjoy enormously, then I say go for it! -- Best...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      pain or loudness hyperacusis?

There is no such thing as just hyperacusis, but rather several medical conditions caused by noise injury merged together thanks to audiologist not having critical thinking skills.

28. Ray552

Ray552 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma

By shatter your system do you mean it left you feeling strange , or out of it , I noticed whenever I would be exposed to louder sounds I would become emotionally out of whack and feel strange for the next couple of days .

29. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As in when the truck drives by and hits brakes my ears feel shitty and I get the urge to "protect my neck", shoulders up, etc. Hands over ears. I often walk around with earplugs in in Manhattan for this reason.

As to the end of a spike? My ears just ache and and are generally sensitive, and I tend to just let them recover those days. TV low volume and stay at home type of day.

30. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I dont really think there is anyone with hyperacusis who can bear the noise of a plane engine nearby. That's the very definition of the sound a person with true hyperacusis cannot bear, the sound will literally feel like is going through you. Same for concerts or power tools. Saying that someone with true hyperacusis can use a power saw or attend a concert wearing earplugs is just a nonsense.