Advice on Flying

Discussion in 'Support' started by Forever hopeful, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Hi,

I have to fly next week. Five hour flights each way Monday to Thursday for work. I am an anxious mess. I love to travel and now am paralyzed with fear. I have not flown since T. I know many folks with T in my own life who fly often and have no problem. My audiologist and ENT said it was fine an it would not cause any harm. My ENT has T also. Audiologist said many with T enjoy the hum of the plane as it masks their T. I have ETD so my ENT gave me affrin as an immediate decongestant and recommended "airplanes " to help with the pressure on take off and during descent.

What I am worried about is the noise level. I have been advised not to wear earplugs as someone I know actually got T b/c their ears could not de-pressurize. I am currently coming off of a spike due to some moderate noise exposure and also increased pressure in head due to ETD and a touch of a cold.

So I am paranoid. I have read about many of you flying. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

2. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      I'm scheduled to fly next month and am also dealing with what I hope is only a spike due to noise exposure, so I am very interested in this topic. I did find a thread on this: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/flying-tinnitus.1001/
      The consensus seems to be that flying is okay, but I understand your concern.

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Thanks. I will be getting the plugs knows as " Earplanes" that are supposed to address the pressure issue. They sell them right at the local pharmacy.

Danielle

5. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You'll be fine with the decongestants , and for the noise I used a noise cancelling headphones with low music volume the whole flight and when the pilot announces descent I remove them just until we're close to the ground other wise you'll be fine :) (my flight was 9 hours ) if you don't have headphones u can use ear plugs while cruising just not on descent

6. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      You'll be fine... I've done two trips to Vietnam in the last 4 months and was in transit both times for a total of 96 hours.

Noise cancelling head phones work well.

However, I WOULD cancel the trip if I had a head cold.

• Like Like x 1
    7. suera

suera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      I had the same fear the first time I flew with T but now I like it because I always sit right over/near engine and if I am lucky it does mask my T. I love when that happens!

8. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Hi does noise cancelling headphones able to equalize pressure during take ascending and descending?

9. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
    10. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      So if I put on noise canceling ear plugs during ascending and descending any issue?

11. Joshua

Joshua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      I think it's different for everyone. I tried earplane plugs and had to take them out, found them uncomfortable. Regular foam plugs work for me but I've found it best to fly open-eared, no plugs at all. I just don't watch movies anymore - read or take some melatonin and sleep. But it all depends on your T, your other health factors, and how more or less you've habituated.

12. engapol

engapol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2015
      Planes are fine, the noise level is far from harmful and some of the newer commercial aircraft are spookily quiet. I've been on many intercontinental flights over the last 10 years and only one has given me any trouble with ear pressure.