Advice on Sleeping

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sparkle92, May 11, 2016.

1. Sparkle92

Sparkle92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16, constant since 3/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus, Allergies, TMJ, Stress
      I am currently experiencing a spike in my T, it is very loud mainly on my left side although it is in both ears. I have been under a lot of stress and get up during the night often. Any advice on getting to sleep? Also, I'm afraid this spike will last forever, are there ways to lower T? Does it get better? I have had it constant since March (started intermittent in November) and at first it didn't bother me that much. I'm only in my 20s and am afraid of this getting worse in the future. Thanks for any advice!

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      since the cause you have do not indicate inner ear damage - it seems very much reversible so I would spend more time on finding ways to deal with those allergies, viruses stress or TMJ and yout Tinnitus will be history - unlike folks with permanent damage.
      Zinc helps with viral infections and we have a Zinc deficiency diet unless you eat oysters everytday.
      For stress..don't know maybe have a good beer and watch a good movie

• Like Like x 1
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Don't be afraid, it is not the end of the world :)

Tinnitus sucks bad, it really does but you are very young and can cope, trust me you can. It is scary because it is something new and new things freak, all of us out. Now, in regards to sleeping....You can try melatonin, tylenol PM, unisom. These work well and can give you much needed sleep.

A spike in your T could be related to many issues, stress, lack of sleep, more noise. Don't dwell on it getting lower, it may or it may not. The key is to not measure how loud it is, just let it be, if you have to mask it and distract yourself from it.

I got mine as a teen and it was hard and still is hard but I love my life and will not let the T down me and make me a victim....

Be well...

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sparkle92

Sparkle92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16, constant since 3/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus, Allergies, TMJ, Stress
      Thank you for your replies. @Bobby B, I'm not sure if there is physical damage yet, I am getting a hearing test at the end of the month. However, would my ENT notice damage looking into my ear or do I need a specific test or scan done? I am currently taking zinc but need to up my dose as I'm only taking 15mg. Yes during the day and watching tv is a good distraction. It's the nights that are bad, my white noise machine does not mask my T.

@fishbone thats encouraging that you had it since a teen. I agree that it's scary but I will eventually cope like so many others have. I will try melatonin. I feel if I sleep more I will habituate faster or develop a better attitude towards it

5. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      Yes, I have some advice you might want to try.

As mentioned in my introduction and the 5000 man survey that has been done here on TT, you should avoid any foods containing MSG. Something not discussed yet is avoiding all Aspartame like in used in 'light' drinks.
      If you avoid these two your synapses should have less neurotransmitters to use in generating the tinnitus. I know diet is something we all neglect, especially when we're younger.

If you want to you could try to take GABA pills in the evening on occasion. You can buy these freely in vitamin or body building stores. GABA is the natural inhibitor in the brain and it will dull everything down, you might find this useful when your tinnitus spikes.
      But don't take them daily, people report you build up a resistance.

Should you try any of these and experience results please share the results.