Advice Please: Yoga Classes, Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Luman, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      In 2016 and 2017 I took two semesters of Hatha Yoga at a local community college, the classes are continuing ed, not part of an accredited curriculum. The classes are 90 minutes, and if you can't do all of the exercises, nobody is judgmental.

Now, since the tinnitus started, in the daytime or early evening, if I fall asleep for even 5 minutes even in a chair, upon waking my tinnitus is ramped up to morning roar levels, and this is very disturbing. I'm wondering if perhaps it's too soon to take Yoga again, due to the possibility that the poses or lying down will do this to me, and I'll end up not going back thus losing my money.

I really enjoyed those classes, they run for 8 weeks in the fall and spring, but now I don't know if I should go this semester.

I have not tried any Yoga at home since the tinnitus started some six or seven weeks ago. Any thoughts?

2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
    3. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most probably TMJD and neck issues that came with it.
      I do yoga regularly, I haven't experienced any spikes during & after the classes. I don't think you will fall asleep in a yoga class that is full of people lol.

It is not that easy to relax that much during classes when you have tinnitus (compared to before), so you don't need to worry about falling asleep IMO. But it surely helps you to habituate by allowing you to experience an environment where you can relax while you are still hearing the tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hatha yoga is great as helps with great breathing techniques.
      I recently took part in a Hatha yoga class and was so relaxing learning all the techniques and doing meditation and Mantra.
      Love glynis x

5. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does your yoga class play music? Mine does and I'm having a spike :/