Afraid of Tinnitus Getting Worse from Sleeping with Silicone Earplugs: What Are the Risks?

Discussion in 'Support' started by David Ashley, Oct 3, 2020.

1. David Ashley

David Ashley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Def as least related to depression/stress.
      My dilemma is that the only way I will get an undisturbed night of solid, healthy sleep is by using earplugs. I've used the foam ones in the past, but I don't trust foam ones anymore - terrified to use them, because the morning I woke up with the tinnitus, and my whole life changed permanently, I had slept kind of badly on the earplug and it was sore in my ear. I don't know if this is even the cause, but I'm just flat out terrified of sleeping with them again. SO - I have turned to silicone ones, and for the most part they have worked successfully for me on a lot of occasions.

I hadn't used the silicone ones in a while, and after a new neighbor moved in above my apartment, I've been resorting to them again, just for the past week.

Two days ago I woke up and the tinnitus was noticeably worse. Was totally unnerved and scared all day at the prospect of it being another permanent increase. It may have gone down in the past two days, it's kind of hard to tell. I've been super stressed out lately, things have been rough. Honestly I should really stop drinking coffee for the moment.

I looked around on these forums and some people suspect that the suction caused by the silicone earplugs could damage the eardrum, which is not necessarily permanently, one guy said it takes his tinnitus a month to heal... I mean that sucks but I can live with it, with just knowing it's not permanent.

Now I'm faced with this dilemma. I need the earplugs for sleep - but I'm very afraid of something else going wrong.

For the record, I do not push these deeply into my ear in any way, there is a tiny protrusion that goes into the cavity but the rest is flattened out and mashed around the ear canal. I'm not thrilled with pushing these things in, I worry about putting that pressure on my ear - but plenty of people seem to do it without incident.

Anyway - looking for reassurance, looking for advice, looking for miracles. Any will do (but miracles first, please).