Almost 6 Months of SOUND Now

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ladymoon, Sep 5, 2017.

1. ladymoon

ladymoon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss
      The ENT said this tinnitus is from onset sudden hearing loss and with that I got as an extra special bonus Tinnitus. It is close to the 7500 Hz tone. I counter it at night with a sound machine all night long called summer sound. It sounds like a combo of white noise and cicadas. A fan at night also helps to drown the sound of the T. I'll admit that when I'm outside and in a place like the ocean or where there is water the noise quiets and at times it almost disappears. I have a hearing aid with a masker for when it gets awful. The therapy signal needs to play for about 30 minutes to settle the T down. Stress makes it worse but I haven't found a way to settle myself very well to reduce the T.

I go to sleep every night and pray when I wake up it will be gone but it's still there. I feel like a freak. I did nothing to cause this. No loud noises, no rock concerts, don't have music cranked up, don't blast music via ear buds and did not have trauma or virus that I know of. That being my background it makes this problem worse. I didn't do anything for this to happen so why am I being punished with this? I'm 65 years old and even though the rest of my life may be 20 years more, I can't see having this problem and don't really understand there is no cure.

I met a man at a picnic who had this for 60 years he got it from a bomb blast in a war. Surely this man should have some quite in his life.

Cancer can be cured, brain surgery can be successful so why can't tinnitus be cured?

I'm doing OK some times but I'd appreciate some help from you to give me ideas on how to get through the bad times. I was prescribed Clonazepam for the bad days but it makes me sleepy. I take lipoflavonoid because I think it helps or maybe I'm desperate and willing to dupe myself that it helps.

I hope to hear from some of you if you can help I appreciate your ideas.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      There is no reason why the world should be fair. Bad things happen to good people. I was struck by otosclerosis, a disease I did nothing to deserve, like many other people on this earth.
      You aren't being punished: you are just a statistic (sorry to be blunt), as Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss hits people fairly "randomly" (it can hit you even if you're in the best possible health).

Many reasons. Keep perusing this forum and you will learn a lot about it.

Take whatever works for you, placebo or not. Placebo is the best as it works with little side effect.

You could try sound therapy (I'm not talking about masking), if you don't have too much hearing loss and your T is fairly tonal.

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma is only one of many possible things that can cause tinnitus.There are many other causes which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug reaction or side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear-wax removal suction, ear or Eustachian tube infection or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion especially with a bad cold, TMJ, TTTS, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, head trauma & injury, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from sudden change of air pressure such as during landing & taking off on flights especially with blocked nose causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief for the loss of loved ones, untreated sleep apnea, extreme, extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, etc., etc.

You may want to check out the success stories and see how people can help themselves. There are many roads to Rome so different people may find help from different ways. In general, masking and using medications will help some. Others may find help from changing diet, such as cutting out excess salt, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, MSG, and eating more healthy foods and drinking lots of water. Others find help from taking supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, NAC, B12, D3, Ginko, etc.

Some will find taking natural herbs can calm the nerves and improve sleep. Both the calming of nerves and improving sleep can help tame T to more manageable level. You can try natural alternatives such as Melatonin, Lemon Balm, Valerian, Hops, Catnips, Passion Flower, Chamomile, Lavender, Kava, etc. You can do google search or check Amazon.com for each of them to know how people review these products, and see if you can take them as a supplement. Check out this site on using natural herbs for helping to sleep or to calm the nerves.

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...ealth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia /
      Take care. God bless.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi @ladymoon , welcome.

You are not a freak, a good percentage of people suffer from tinnitus. And, many of us have no idea why we have it or what caused it. Sometimes is just happens.

You are not being punished. Quite often, bad things happen to good people. You did nothing wrong for which you would be punished with tinnitus. I am not religious nor do I believe in any particular deity, but if one did exist I refuse to believe that s/he, being a loving and benevolent deity, would punish someone with a lifetime of torture (tinnitus).

Trying to remain positive is important and will help considerably.

@billie48 wrote his success story demonstrating how positivity helped him habituate.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

@Michael Leigh wrote the following, excellent post on negativity and tinnitus:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

I would recommend reading both of the above, and also search out posts by @glynis who is always wonderfully optimistic.

I know that you may not believe this at this time, but it will get better. And, you found this forum, which is filled with caring, supportive, and sympathetic people who understand your suffering and are always willing to help someone who needs support. We are here of you and will help you when you need it. You do not have to fight this battle alone, we will fight along side you, and help you through this.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1