Alternative Treatments for Otosclerosis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Greg9840, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Greg9840

Greg9840 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otosclerosis
      I had an audiology exam due to constant tinnitus in my left ear (fairly mild, can be masked with an air purifier running in a room).

They said I had conductive hearing loss and referred me to an ENT doctor.

The ENT doctor said I have otosclerosis in my left ear and my only treatment options are a hearing aid or surgery.

Are there any effective alternative treatments?

The only thing I could find after hours of Internet searching is sodium fluoride pills but I think taking large doses of fluoride is too risky in regards to my health.

Are there any other options?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      How did the doctor diagnose your otosclerosis (finding conductive losses is not enough)?
      Not that I know of.
      Yup, it's not great. Sometimes you gotta choose between Scylla & Charybdis. Been on heavy doses of fluoride for over 5 years now. Who knows what that will do to me, but on the bright side my otosclerosis doesn't seem to have progressed, so perhaps there is some useful causality here.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg9840

Greg9840 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otosclerosis
      The doctor basically just used my hearing test and tuning fork testing to conclude that I have otosclerosis and he told me to go ahead and sign the surgery paperwork just in case I want to get stapedectomy surgery in the future, but I should get a hearing aid consult in his office, as well.

I was a bit surprised because I had read that people are supposed to get a CT scan before getting diagnosed with otosclerosis. He didn’t mention anything about me getting a scan. Is that wrong?

Thanks!

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'm not a doctor, so this isn't medical advice.

It seems a bit light on clues to get to that diagnosis.

Certainly having conductive losses and fork tests results (I suspect Rinne/Weber) are good clues, but there are other things to look at: Schwartz sign, CT radiolucencies, stapedial reflexes, Carhart notch, patient history (family), and I'm probably forgetting a few others.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg9840

Greg9840 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otosclerosis
      Thanks! He did look in my ear. Not sure about reflexes. I don't think he tested that but the audiologist did mention that I had an impaired reflex in my left ear. Regarding patient history, my mother has hearing loss but I don't even know what kind. I need to speak to her. I was kind of surprised he said conclusively stated I have otosclerosis.