Alternatives to NAC (N-Acetylcysteine)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Amv, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hi all!

I have used NAC a lot and I believe it is a good medication to take from time to time with tinnitus, but it really upsets my stomach, and causes dramatic inflammation in my stomach and digestive system.

Can you recommend any other antioxidant useful to protect ears in case of higher noises, long flights...etc?

Thanks!

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Have you considered reducing the dosage? How much are you taking?

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      @GregCA thanks a lot for your reply Greg. I have tried reducing dose and other brands, but my stomach bloats a lot, I suffer from IBS so i think I cannot tolerate NAC more :(

I was thinking on taking L-Cysteine supplement from GNC as is the precursr of Gluthation, but I don't know if NAC also delivers other antixoidants or benefits, maybe also trying directly Gluthatiion supplements, but i dont realy know if this is the same as taking NAC.

4. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Are you sure it's the NAC that's causing the upset? I take NAC (650mg) always first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, with a glass of water. I then wait five minutes before I have any food or coffee/tea. It has never caused me any upset. But if you want to try other options, you can try PharmaNAC tablets or liposomal glutathione.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Thanks @vttbx unfortunately i have tried all presentations and forms of NAC and i cannot tolerate it any more :(

I will stry with the Liposomal Gluthatione, txs! Any thoughts on trying de L-Cysteine instead of NAC?

6. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      L-Cysteine is not well absorbed and won't increase your glutathione levels. NAC is water soluble.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hello All ! Just to let you know I went to see my ENT today (he is a good person and a good professional), besides having congestion and Eustachian Tubes congested which are increasing my Tinnitus Level :(

I told him about the NAC issue, besides the Gluthation, he told me another alternative is a medication called Erdosteine , similar to NAC and recently studied favorably against Cistaplin Ototoxicity as it exherts protection in the Cochlea. He told me is not as studied as NAC but also exherts protection and to try with that if I cannot find the Gluthation.

I will let you know any side effects, I will take it during a week for descongestion issues also.

Best regards to all!

9. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Now that sounds like a decent ENT. They're rare as hens teeth.

If you get the glutathione, please make sure it is sublingual kind because it does not fare well via the digestive system.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Liposomal Glutathione is the most absorbable form glutathione. I take it along with effervescent NAC and NAC caps.

11. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, I take sublingual glutathione now instead of NAC. There’s research that shows it’s better for increasing systemic glutathione.
      I used to take effervescent NAC previously before capsules because they werent prone to oxidation being sealed individually in foil, but the only stuff I could get had aspartame in it, so stopped.

12. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      What brand of sublingual glutathione do you take? PharmaNAC has artificial sweeteners as well so I don't know of any that don't.

13. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, it sucks they put them in. I'd be happy to take them even if the taste is horrible without, well, they still taste awful with it too. Anyway, I take Terry Naturally Europharma clinical glutathione. It has maltitol in it, but I haven't heard as bad things about it as with aspartame.

14. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      I just read an article on N-acetylcysteine used in a severe mercury detox case - the person improved in 3 days using 50 mg/kg per day NAC coupled with 500 mcg/day of Selenium. Has anyone tried taking more than daily dose on the bottle of NAC, for tinnitus or taken selenium along with it?

(Case study if anyone is interested: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/24734306.2017.1392076)

How much NAC have you tried taking? (The OTC comes as 600 mg but if trying the above dose the amount for most adults would much greater... albeit this is being used in a triage setting - but is 600 mg enough?) I am also wondering if it using NAC before going to the dentist is more to do with the mercury exposure than the sound of the drill.

15. Rerun

Rerun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m having the same issue. Maybe you’re reacting to just too much sulfur? NAC and a few other supplements have sulfur. I was taking NAC for about a year and my stomach just started to react to it. I have a history of SIBO and am looking into hydrogen sulfide SIBO? Just a hunch of course. I definitely need to check with my doctor. In the meantime, I’m going to try lower my sulfur intake.