AM-101 TACTT1 Results Released

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Brian32

Brian32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Who are you contacting to get this information? I tried to get in touch with the woman listed on the clinicaltrials page and the U of Miami. I wasn't able to speak to anyone at either place. I left a message with both but I'm doubtful I hear anything back.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      If anyone lives in the Midwest region near Iowa they can PM me about the Am-101 trial or the micro transponder study. I can give you a contact email for the tinnitus clinic at the university of Iowa. Assuming you meet the inclusion criteria I think they are interested in finding patients.

3. Jake
      Irritated

Jake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Would you happen to know where I can find contact information for the KU study? I checked the KU Med center website and I wasn't able to find anything about it. Thanks!

4. cmurem

cmurem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2012
      Hearing restorarion project members think that if the jobless nerve cells reattach again to the restored hair cells they will stop producing phantom noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      underneath the hair cells are cells that can transform into new hair cells. The information to tell these hair cells after the other one dies `built new hair cell` is blocked by a protein called `notch`. Notch is the communicator between cells, it is this one that says what a cell should do. So they discovered a drug that would block this Notch signaling pathway which lead to the cells to grow into new hair cells. unfortunately it was a bit random and it only worked with very young baby mice and not as good with older mice. So this is the step they are at now to understand why this happend and how to change it. So after this it is not actually the cell that produces the phantom noise but a part in the brain that stopped receiving information form the ear and is trying to `make up` for the lost frequencies. thanks a lot brain! ... ;)

ps you probably wonder how can they know all this and check it. so they actually colored the cells underneath the hair cells green, using a gene from some animal forget which one but I think it was a fluorescent jellyfish... so when these cells turned into hair cells after Notch was blocked they were green ... so they could see them differently from the old ones and could measure where they grow and such. I mean isn`t that totally wicked ... I have good hopes in these scientists cause that stuff blew my mind!

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
    7. Leo1994
      Suicidal

Leo1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Honestly, how many here belive this will work for chronic tinnitus as well?
      Iv had tinnitus for 9 years now (since i was 10 years old). I wanna hear silence before i die!! :(
      I wish this will work for chronic tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Leo1994
      Suicidal

Leo1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      So how do you go to concerts now?

9. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I`m not sure if it will help for chronic T, there are different opinions about it and I think w`ll just have to wait and see. The problem is everything is so regulated that there is no room for extra experimentation. and these companies sit on there money like a mother goose on her eggs. On the website it says that they suspect it will not help chronic T because of the brain-memorization thing, but if I remember well Erlend had a email communication with one of the workers there and she said she could n`t see why it would not help with chronic T. I think his post is on the previous page.. I personally don`t hope for miracles with this one. Although it is amazing that any future patients will be helped with this. Good luck man, something`s got to come along soon. Can you only imagine the Tinnitus news feeds in the next three years? Maybe they don`t have a cure available yet but at least they will have a MUCH better understanding and even an end date for a cure.

10. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I was basing it on Markkus claim that he had recieved an email from am101 boss, who said there was no decline in effociency from the 1 month patients to the 3 months patients. Also, if ot's in the brain, which is so flexible, I hope and think you can train it away

11. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Im nearly sure, that noise induced/drug induced T is not in the brain, but it comes from damaged nerve ends in cochlea. MRI shows excited auditory sections of brain, but in my opinion these are excited, because they "hear" phantom noises, comming from damaged cochelar nerves. If AM101 can calm down those nerve ends, sending of T will dissapear and auditory parts of brain calms down too. This is only a theory, I cant guarantee it, but I believe in it.

• Like Like x 2
    12. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I`m not completely sure if this is the case but let`s hope. But what I don`t understand is and I want to write this in the biggest size possible. Why have n`t they done a chronic Tinnitus trial yet???? Do it, find out the results and than done and over with it. These scientist are supposed to be smart but they lack common sense. Or is there some other force at work?!

edit;

The brain doesn`t hear phantom sounds, it is the brain that makes the phantom sounds. the nerve endings are dead so they can`t produce anything anymore which is why the brain makes up for it resulting in a sound. I think this has been put out by scientists before. It`s like with phantom feelings. it`s not the hand that feels something it is the brain interpreting sensations on the nerve endings in the hand. When you lose the hand there is no nerve endings creating phantom feeling, it is the brain making up for it.

13. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      thats not certain.. then why would am101 work at all?

14. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Because the nerve endings need time to die off. Thats why am-101 can work when they are still in that stage. And in this process they change in the output or the chemical processes they activate or conduct. Let`s hope i`m wrong but I think it is something like this. But it is a good question. What would am-101 do that triggers the brain not to respond to dead nerve endings after treatment? Cause they are going to die anyway ... mysteries.

15. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma

Ok - but if this is true, why AM101 doing its job in acute phase of tinnitus? If is T in the brain, AM101 cure has no point in all phases of T (acute, subchronic, chronic...). My explanation is: If hair cells died, support cells with no function replace them. But nerve, connected before to now not existing hair cell, also damaged by noise overstimulation, begin produce phantom signals (excited, because overproduction of glutamate - maybe reaction to non existing hair cell).

But maybe I am wrong. I hope Im not.

16. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I think there is a difference between damaged hair cells and nerves:) I dont thin the nerves in the brains center of hearing and touching are damaged. I think simply the hair cells are in the cochlear are damaged and thats a bit different. If there was nerve damage inside the hearing and touching center then you wouldnt probably also feel it when someons touches your neck, wouldnt be able to turn your head etc. Thats also why many patients can change their T through for example turning their head, moving their eyes etc. Simply the brain is confused.
      Alsom, probably they are trying it on acute patients because it is a lot easier to get funding for a research with certain boundaries. Science is like sport nowadays and there are certain limits. Therefore I think in the bgeinning they have to have a certain test group and up to 3 months is a lot more concrete than chronic patients which basically means everything from lets say 2 years up to 30 years.

17. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      I think that am-101 goes to the broken haircels and makes some kind of temporery repair
      and that gives the brain the idear that everything is ok so it doesnt make these fantom noice.
      I dont know how how medicine contact kronic t .Perhabs from the buttom where it is broken of.

18. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Stina:

Yes, but they are unplugged from non existing hair cells. Cutted off. Its like hair cells were amputated - in my opinion, this may be kind of damage. T can change by turning head etc... - yes, if i squeeze my jaws, white noise type hissing appears. But this happens also before my T onset. Because all nerves are connected together. Before my T onset, in absolutely quiet room i can feel very quiet white noise in my head (not ears) - but i had to be very concentrated. I think, this is common electronic noise of brain.

19. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma

Its not accurate. Broken dysfunctional hair cells die and disappear. But maybe not nerve endings are responsible for tinnitus. It can be - than damaged hair cells with many broken stereocilia, but partially functional and still alive, are producting tinnitus? And Am101 can repair its damaged metabolism and calm them down? .... I really dont know.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Yeah it could be:) But it could also be that different people have different sorts of damage. Honestly I think that if doctors dont know what is going on then we dont either. Lets just hope that AM101 will also work on chronic patients:) Also, if the third clinical trial completes in Dec 2014 there is hope that it will already be on the market, in say, 4-5 years:))

21. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      as I could understand,there are also other medicinal Companies trying to make medicine to kronic t.

22. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Do you know in which countries they are and how successful have they been? I also have a feeling that a lot of the newest information is only available for medical experts in certain databases that we dont know of.

23. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      There was a guy here in tt from a medicine Company who mentioned 4 or 5 Companies but i cant find it.

24. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Well I guess it doesnt matter:) If smth comes out in Denmark you can send us the medicine;)

25. t-man
      Suicidal

t-man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I don't. Once my T got to a point where it became too intrusive, I stopped.

Once you loose an eye to diabetes, I'd hope you'd have enough sense to stop eating cake.

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Do you avoid all loud places (such as bars, clubs) as well?

27. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Does anybody know? If we have a member with a shot at getting into the trials I think we should help him, so he can report back!

28. Jodi
      Confused

Jodi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      What is "SMTH" in Denmark?

29. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Hey all.. New here...im 23 I got T on november 14th 2013 from real loud exposure... And had a really loud ring in my right ear which dissapeared after 2 days.. Thought it went away but few days after noticed it just went down to like a really quiet ring.. When i cover my ears theres a high pitched ring ( really quiet) and then another noise that fluctuates like a bell or something.. And my right ear hisses kinda like static when im in a quiet place. Deff notice it when sleeping so i have to put a white noise masker under my pillow which masks it all. Went to an Ent got my hearing checked and still have near perfect hearing.. Doctor said i was really lucky cause i was basically partially deaf with that loud ring which recovered after two days.. And that the noise thats still there should fade into the backround. Most of the time it does but i dont know bout anyone else here but before i had T i would get the temporary ear rings for like a few secs that would go away.. And i still get that like every two weeks or so where
      My right ear will just spike up for few secs then drop back down and each time it happens my panic and anxiety just goes crazy cause im afraid one these times its not gonna drop back down in level. But idk im trying to accept that this most likely will get worse and im gonna have to deal with it. But i just pray that we can all be cured in the next 5 - 10 years.. But if all of these trials are for acute T.. In 5 years all of us will be chronic sufferers and I fear that it wont effect us :-(.

30. super07

super07 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Your story sounds exactly like me. I'm 26, and I had my loud noise exposure in a bar 3 days before my 25th birthday. Same deal with the ENT, same deal with freaking out when one ear spikes like you are talking about. Absolute panic. I have the same concerns about AM101.