An Exact Cure Will Not Emerge Soon...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by burakh264, Jul 31, 2017.

1. burakh264
      Asleep

burakh264 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      electric shock
      Hi everyone...

First of all, this opinion belongs to mine and it may seem a bit skeptical. I do not want to break anyone's hope. I am really disappointed that though many researches are focused on overcoming tinnitus or reduction of adverse effects, a cure, which at least even gives significant relief, is no existed or may not ever be. I tried all possible drugs and methods. But why??? What is the real problem?? So many unknown causes that trigger tinnitus? Or does the technology drop behind in terms of imaging for the inner ear or auditory cortex in brain? I think all possible factors affecting tinnitus is so diverse and more integrative approach for a cure becomes difficult accordingly.

But I think another problem arises here. Pharmaceutical industry is mysterious and overcoming serious diseases may be prevented consciously. My grandfather used to take cancer drugs for his pancreatic cancer and my father suffering from brain cancer is on the medication with the same way right now. (15 years before and after) What has changed? Has drug industry developed so much? Is the technology advancing well? I think a cure for some diseases are hindered for some reasons. (no one can explain why cancer treatment has not focused on at least transforming it to the chronic disease rather than overcoming it completely…If the process had been like that, my father’s doctor would not have said to me “your father were in a good situation compared to those who had same malign tumor and two years life for him after onset were miracle) At this point, I do not strongly believe conspiracy theories but I believe cancer kills sufficient amount of people ensuring population balance.

But what about tinnitus? It neither kills people nor balances population. But tinnitus exhibits some weird characteristics because one of its trivet is relating to the “military sector”, in other words “defense sector”. Let me explain.

Defense industry is very attractive and competitive among the world. Many countries are developing their technologies to get ahead during wartime. These kind of technologies are one step ahead of those for civilians though they enable dual use. For example, if you want to buy new cameras, you would probably prefer to choose high-resolution, long battery life, automatic zoom etc, but may not want to use multi or hyperspectral properties, infrared /electrooptical integration etc just like the military. But while the military technologies are advanced, civilian counterpart benefits from them up to some POINT. This point is not sharing advanced military technologies with other countries, which most developed countries have regulations to limit exportation. Here is my question about tinnitus: “Which military technology is as important as recovering the ability of a well-trained soldier who has been disabled and got tinnitus after an explosion?” If it is true, lets assume that we have an exact cure for tinnitus. In this case, would it be accessible to the public? Or “Which military technology, enabling a well trained solider to regain his power, can be shared to other countries which may be potential threat in any conflict?” Nothing is important beyond the well trained solider. I think possible cures may be hided for these reasons and I strongly believe that exact cure will not come soon….or ever...

• Like Like x 2
    2. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I am not holding my breath for an actual cure. I am certain that will not happen in our lifetime.....i think it is many many MANY years away.

What i do have hope for is a more effective treatment which can bring down the volume or have it go away for hours/day at a time, and that i think is much more possible to happen in the near future.

• Like Like x 4
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      burakh264
      Asleep

burakh264 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      electric shock
      It would be the nice or a temporary solution, if we had a chance to pre-paid exchange our brain with someone during a day for at least 6 hours.

:):):):)

• Like Like x 2
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Twenty one years ago when I first got tinnitus and hypercusis, like many I was going through a very difficult time coping with it. I read a newspaper article that helped to change my outlook and to think more positively, which is possible even in our downtimes. It read: 19 out of 20 medical conditions cannot be cured. Tinnitus is a very common condition that comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same.

Fortunately, most people do habituate and are able to carry on with their life doing everything that they want to. In the early stages of tinnitus, by this I mean the first six months to one year, many people learn to habituate and often without any medical treatment. Some have it quite severe as I did. If help is available then I advise people to pursue this route. Help comes in many forms: Tinnitus counselling with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist trained in the management and treatment of tinnitus. Sound therapy using a sound machine etc. Various relaxation techniques including MBCT (Mindfulness Behavioural Cognitive therapy. TRT (Tinnitus Retraining Therapy) CBT (cognitive Behavioural Therapy) Medication can also be beneficial.

I have helped to counsel various people with tinnitus. One such person is a member of this forum who was going through a very difficult time and believed his life was over and that he would never habituate. Please read the post below.

From darkness into light.

Tinnitus is not an easy condition to live with when it is severe. So it always pleases me to hear when someone habituates and is able to put the passed behind them and look forwards to a brighter future. A forum member contacted me recently to express just that and has agreed for me to include some of his comments although his name has been changed. Anyone having difficulty habituating I hope they will find this post helpful.

Last year Marcus was in a distressed state and convinced he would never see light again at the end of the tunnel. He works as an electrician and while up a ladder one afternoon, suddenly heard a loud ringing coming from a fire alarm that was on a nearby wall. He didn’t pay it much attention and wasn’t concerned about his hearing as he believed it would soon stop. He continued working but this proved not to be a good idea as the alarm continued for another twenty minutes. When it finally stopped and there was complete silence he then noticed ringing in his ears. Over the following days and weeks it gradually became louder and more intrusive.

I remember his out pouring and condemning himself in this forum as if it were yesterday. He couldn’t believe he had done such a thing. Staying in that vicinity with no hearing protection and not coming down off that ladder had resulted in his whole life being turned upside down. With the benefit of hindsight one is often able to see mistakes that could have been easily avoided if they only knew. In his own words life as he once knew it was completely over. Married with two young children he enjoyed regularly going out with the family but all that came to an abrupt end. I and other forum members tried to make Marcus look at the positive things in his life and not to give up hope but little of this was having any impact. The walls of negativity that he had built up to surround himself were just too great and it seemed no amount of good advice was able to get through.

His symptoms will be familiar to those that have suffered noise trauma to their auditory system. Intrusive tinnitus with hyperacusis, that can vary considerably especially in the early onset of the conditions. I understood his distress at not being able to enjoy listening to music even as a form of distraction from the noise. Everything sounded distorted to him as if it is coming out of a broken speaker and his ears would hurt when certain sounds were heard. His appointment at ENT was some time away which is often the case when tinnitus is not accompanied by dizziness, balance problems and impaired hearing or continuous pain in the ears.

Contrary to what some believe, the best treatment for tinnitus in the early stages and when there are no additional symptoms, as mentioned above is to leave it alone. The ears and auditory system are very delicate and often right themselves when left alone. Many people habituate to tinnitus within the first six months sometimes a little longer and the condition has been known to go away completely. Marcus had taken time of work, as he just wasn’t in a good place and couldn’t function properly. One good thing is that he was under the care of his GP and taking medication to help cope with his moods. Tinnitus can be such an emotional roller coaster in the early days so often no two days are the same. An antidepressant often helps a person from becoming too down so acts as a safety net when those low points arrive.

Marcus became a frequent visitor to this forum and I believe it helped him, although his outlook on recovery was quite bleak and negative. Perhaps knowing there were people around him in this virtual world of cyberspace, gave him the support and sanctuary that he needed to vent his frustrations which at times I believe were overwhelming. I hadn’t seen him for quite a while but got an acknowledgement from him recently by private messenger. I have omitted my comments.

It changes a lot over time doesn't it. Not just one’s perception of it but the tone itself.
      For me it ranges from a jet engine noise to hum, I used to hear it all the time but now I only hear it in silence.

Just past the 1 year mark for me. Feeling much better now. It sure does take time.
      How's things with you? I really appreciate the help and advice you have offered to me over this time, and the help from other people in the forum.

It's a terrible condition. I did go too see Guns n Roses last weekend at Slane castle. Used professional ear plugs, was a great show and no negative consequences apart from a crazy two day hangover lol

The fact the concert was outdoors made it possible, it still peeked at over 115db at times.
      I still haven’t been seen at ent yet, did bother chasing up the appointment. No point really. I will take your advice and chase up ent and see if I can get an appointment. Just to do the tests.

Yes
      , I'm much much better now, I was in a very dark place. It was a terrible time. Things have improved, the distortion in music has gone and things sound normal again. I can even setup an eq system hear the different frequencies, when I first suffered this I couldn't hear bass, everything sounded flat, really was a bad time, I'm surprised I survived it to be honest.

I now have a new appreciation for sound and music. I just wish I understood this before. I still have slight balance issues but mostly I am happy my hearing has improved, It is very difficult too accept when it happens as I am sure you know.
      I will always use hearing protection at loud events, concerts etc. The guns n roses concert felt fine with my pro plugs in and I noticed many others using plugs too. Good to see.

I’m back at work and able to spend time with my family. Thanks Michael for your advice (even at those times when I didn't believe it)
      Marcus

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      That Marcus story is an absolute inspiration Michael, thank you. Especially as i can relate to his reaction in the beginning, thinking his life was over, that he had built a wall of negativity around himself. I see myself in him and knowing that he made it trough and got better gives me great hope that so can i :)

• Like Like x 1
    6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI Sandra,

I am pleased that Marcus' story has helped you and given you the inspiration to carry on. It is quite normal to be negative when tinnitus is intrusive especially in the early stages but things will get better it just takes time. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself and wondering how long it will take to habituate. Just take each day as it comes.

Michael

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      burakh264
      Asleep

burakh264 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      electric shock
      HI Sandra,

I am pleased that Marcus' story has helped you and given you the inspiration to carry on. It is quite normal to be negative when tinnitus is intrusive especially in the early stages but things will get better it just takes time. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself and wondering how long it will take to habituate. Just take each day as it comes.

Michael
      The subject that i want to draw attention has disappeared unfortunately....

8. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Yes, I really hope for, some kind of discovery in this area. Let, for, the beginning not cardinal, type of stem cells. At least to start with some kind of medicine or therapeutic manipulation. It's a shame that ACRN did not live up to expectations. Today, neuroscience and the human brain are very popular. I believe! Although, I talked with the representatives of the "frequency" project and they said that they were still far from real measures .. it a little upset me. If governments allocated a little more money for science, this process would be faster. Instead of spending such money on weapons and wars. Is one of you a member of the American Tinnitus Association, or British?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      burakh264
      Asleep

burakh264 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      electric shock
      Neither of two..I am not sure that they are spending or not..Here is my proposal: Let the tinnitus be solved by DARPA. :) It would be more effective than inconclusive trials or researches.

10. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      @burakh264

I´m not saying you are right or wrong in terms of an upcoming treatment or cure.
      But there are interesting things going on as we speak in several areas of hearing loss and tinnitus.
      And the area of research is growing as we speak, at least according to the sources of this forum.

I also see from your profile that you have had T since 04/2017, thats under 6 months and you claim to have tried every possible drug and method. I would have to say you have been extremely effective since many people use up to a year to habituate or try methods of relief. I have been suffering for 20 years, but still I have many drugs or methods to try for relief left. It does not help in trying 15 drug at the same time or doing 10 different excercises a day, one have to stay with it for a while to determine if it works or not. I do not believe any of this will cure me 100%, but I am believing in some relief if you stay consistent on some of the methods like diet, exercise, mental positivity, yoga etc. If you really have had T only from April, it´s a little to early to jump to the conclusions.

If you however are a long time sufferer my points have less relevance.

I wish you the best!

• Like Like x 1
    11. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      The main problem with this theory is assuming that pharmaceutical companies want to kill off people, or customers that would buy their stuff if anything they would want to find a patentable, long term pill like cure for diseases like cancer and tinnitus.

12. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hello...

Back in 2008, there was no or little talk about hair cell regeneration, gene therapy or potassium channel modulators. There was little in the way or new and exciting discoveries coming to light that I find is happening more and more often. Back in 2008, most treatments were 'snake oil' and the only potential therapy was LLLT (laser therapy) that was questionable.

So what I'm I saying? It's now 2017 and I have witnessed a great surge in research and things coming to light, things being investigated.

So, I'm hopeful for a cure/effective treatment. It's what keeps me going and personally I'm fascinated with the progress.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      In my opinion it is in the brain. Why I think.It is due to mine came out of blue and I have no priors, no meds, no loud music, but extend stress. I also think suffers that got T with loud music also shock the brain. also there are different styles of T and It's very varing, and t has a mind of its own. Now granted I only had mine 3 months, but changes every day. I think doctors should also put more emphasis on brain functions and less on the ear, due to they tried for years on the ears. When they took out the ear and they still heard it, then it comes from the brain. What if they did a blood transfusion to the brain and wrap the ear on plastic.

14. layzell

layzell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      inner ear infection
      I've been looking at what's on the net about the brain and the best easy stuff I found is called "Searching for the mind" by Jon Lieff MD.

There are many aspects to the functioning of the brain and I had hoped to find something to explain tinnitus at a deep, technical level because it's only when we understand the root cause of something we don't like that we stand much chance of correcting it. Otherwise what faults do our experiments in finding a chemical cure aim for? You can't just aim to "cure tinnitus." You have to have specific targets to do with how, in great detail, the brain functions.

But so far I haven't found anything that looks promising except possibly faults made by dendritic growth while the brain undergoes changes using its plasticity. But there isn't any research to quote for this effect, so far as I can see, it's only my hunch.

But I've been doing research in scientific subjects all my life. I'm 81 yrs old now. I did discover that the brain uses its plasticity all the time to correct or allow for life experiences of all kinds. That's how we learn for example.

But because of the enormous complexity in how the brain functions, whatever the situation in tinnitus-ridden the brain may be it's hard to imagine how a chemical drug will cure the symptoms if we don't know exactly how it's supposed to do so. I hope that doesn't depress anyone.

With all the research going on we may understand the subject sufficiently in a few years time.

• Useful Useful x 1
    15. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I am not betting on a cure. Admittedly I am pessimistic but I just find it more realistic to learn to adapt and relearn how to live life. If new medicine and treatments come out, that would be amazing. Until then I am on a journey to find out how to be happy (a problem that existed well before T showed up) again. Life is brutal. There are so many people today who are hurting, who have their lives permanently turned upside down. As a culture, I wish we acknowledged it more. People need to know that to be scarred in life altering ways is normal.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1