Another Concert Thread

Discussion in 'Support' started by st0rch, Jan 29, 2015.

1. st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I was invited to a concert recently. Since my T onset 1.3 years ago, I have yet to go to a movie, concert or something similar and it seems to ruin my quality of life.

I have slowly habituated to the T, and would of course be wearing hearing protection and standing near the back, but recently I have become depressed with my withdrawal from society. I would take breaks, and the person I am with said if it's too loud she doesnt mind if we leave (she's great).

I'm looking for advice. as this band literally carried me through some suicidal / depressing times of my life. I would love to see them live and feel something other than complete depression for once since I've had T.

Any experiences with concerts after T that have worked out for any of you? Thanks again, I really need the support right now. I love this forum.

2. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If you are in the situation that you have to choose between giving up social life and go to events you are worried might aggravate your tinnitus, in a fashion you've already lost. If you don't go, it will depress you. If you go, you will be very worried and in worst case you will have caused your ears more damage.

The only possible way out of it, in my opinion, is to build up a social life around activities that does not threat your hearing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Hey storch, which band is it ?

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      So I shouldn't go?..

5. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      A lot of the people who will respond are feeling at their worst tinnitus wise. Many of those do not share the passion for music in the first place, nor have they experienced how essential it can be through the hardest times of your life, meaning there is no way they'll understand the loss of not being able to go.
      I'm for one struggling with the same thoughts. In a sense of how we might potentially be able to go properly protected without sustaining proper further damage, we have indeed lost by not going.
      I know two guys from a pretty successful heavy metal band who keeps on rocking and playing. (theyre not metallica btw..)
      Once in a while on facebook they'll pop up on a huge noisy motorbike, or as one of them, driving his noisy bus for work. I've spoken to them about t as they both share the struggles and thoughts presented here, and they reply without keeping on doing what they love, there's naturally no point.
      Knowing where you come from it's definitely not as easy a choice, just know many keep on rocking successfully :)

• Like Like x 1
    6. Going to a concert scared and worried can´t be that fun:(. There is a reason why people spending time on this site. @Tenna, talking about Volbeat?

7. Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      Go and be prepared for your next thread "I shouldn't have gone to that concert" :p

If you have habituated to the t then there is no reason to be too depressed over it, and enjoy the songs from a sound system less than 85 decibels and so they say u should be ok

Maybe you should "test" the t water with a more sensible movie or something to gauge a reaction instead of the dreaded concert noise

8. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I got T in 1974.
      I went to many concerts after that, either with cotton or earplugs. Well, I didn't know that the throbbing bass sounds were screwing me up. Bone conduction. Very damaging. But I'm sure the earplugs gave me some protection. Not enough though. I've seen some great concerts but I'd gladly trade them all for a little decrease in my T. I've habituated, but the whole thing has been a pain in the ass and not worth the music.

9. pactribe

pactribe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert, while wearing earplugs (SNR 19).
      Those ear plug companies should inform their customers about the fact that hearing protection does not protect against sound waves through bone conduction.

10. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I'm going to a Rolling Stones concert in Atlanta tonight (yea, with my earplugs), and for the rest of my life I'm going to be thinking: "What a terrific concert. So glad I went!!!!!"

No way am I going to let my tinnitus drive my bus.

• Like Like x 1
    11. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Nice! Have fun! :)

I admire your attitude towards tinnitus and life, and if I may ask:
      Is there anything you wouldn't do because of tinnitus? Are there any situations that you'd avoid where others wouldn't? Would you go without earplugs if that would make you enjoy the concert more?

I find it hard to balance 'not letting tinnitus drive my bus' and 'taking too much risk'. Even if can eventually habituate to anything, the time spent doing so may not be worth the one night of enjoyment.

Thanks!

12. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      I consider going on o gig today.
      @Dr. Nagler i had ear infection month ago and my ear hurts a bit. Not a lot. Doctor took puss from my ear for examination but said there is no inflammation. Would you say its safe to put earplugs in my ears noe and attend that event? I know you cant diagnose me. I do not have major ear pain. Mild at most and my neck hurts like during indection. Mot sure what to do. No fever though.

13. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Planning on it! Thanks.

If you're not driving your own bus, then what sort of a life is that? I know it's an unpopular thing to say here, but tinnitus is a sound. It's not like you are incapacitated. And if you are (like I was), then for goodness' sakes do something about it!

No

No

Absolutely not. I'm not crazy!

Sure, I'm driving my own bus. But I'm not doing it with blinders on.

I get that. But there's a difference between not taking too much risk and refusing to take any risks at all.

This has nothing to do with habituation. It has to do with how you choose to live your life. No matter how loud, bothersome, or intrusive my tinnitus might be, there is just no way I'd miss a Stones concert.

You are welcome.

14. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Dr. Nagler ...Glad you're getting to see them before the Rigor Mortis sets in!.....:LOL:

rolling-stones.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      I just yesterday turned down the offer of a ticket to see Mogwai in London with an old friend that I haven't seen for a couple of years. I used to love that band back in their early days. They are b*****d loud though and I've seen 'em ten times already. I think I'll avoid any risk to my ears. When I try to listen to music at home nowadays the enjoyment is lessened by tinnitus and I don't want to let tinnitus lessen it any further than it does already - not for the sake of one night. I still think I'm driving my own bus. I'm just driving it carefully.

• Like Like x 3
    16. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      schoolbus.jpg

17. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mogwai would be one of the band's I'd avoid too. Just one of those bands for which a high volume is part of their 'thing'.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Not knowing why you had pus in your ear to start with, I could not say. I'd check with your doc. If you cannot reach him or her in time, then why not pick up a pair of protective earmuffs and use them instead!

19. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      It is virtually impossible to avoid any risk to your ears.

20. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      True enough. In context, I meant by going to the gig.

I'm not trying to generalise my own decision as the one everybody should take. That particular band play very loud. I just wanted to present an alternative to a subtext some people might detect in/read into your answer... that to choose not to go would be giving in to tinnitus... would be a failure of personal agency or strength or something. I think it is important not to be emotive about decisions like that and peer pressure can be dangerous. I wanted to present my own decision as an equally valid one just to balance that out...to say that you are 'driving your own bus' whatever decision you make, so long as you make it yourself.

I admit I am cautious these days. I am that way from experience, from trusting that it will be OK once too often.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    21. Xorthian
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had only 30 minutes to decide :) i went with it. My ears did not hurt, ear canal feels like it want some massive scratching but i will just use antigerm/fungal drops. Ive decided that in worst case scenario i will go to er. Heck maybe my ears actually did hurt from using those drops as they are based on glicol or gliceryne. I just had to chill out. I'm on ipad now so writing is kind of anjoying but i have some massive positive message to write in next days, and thats thanks to you!

22. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      So the Rolling Stones concert was FANTASTIC!

Here's the set list:

Start Me Up
      It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll (But I Like It)
      All Down the Line
      Tumbling Dice
      Doom and Gloom
      Can’t You Hear Me Knocking
      You Gotta Move
      Some Girls
      Honky Tonk Women
      Before They Make Me Run
      Happy
      Midnight Rambler
      Miss You
      Gimme Shelter
      Jumpin’ Jack Flash
      Sympathy for the Devil
      Brown Sugar
      Encore:
      You Can’t Always Get What You Want
      (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction​

See photo from last night's concert below. (No, I didn't take it!)

I wore my musicians' earplugs (with 15dB filters) throughout, which brought the decibels at my ears down to a very comfortable level. I took them out just to check what the sound was "really" like for a few seconds - and I could not believe that folks can actually enjoy a concert like that without protection. I do not have hyperacusis, and still the noise level was so uncomfortable that I could hardly wait to put them back in.

Earlier in this thread @walkthroughwalls asked ...

"Would you go without earplugs if that would make you enjoy the concert more?"

... and, to the contrary, I can unequivocally state this morning that I would not have enjoyed the concert at all without them!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    23. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What an amazing set list! Almost all songs are legendary :)
      Good to hear you enjoyed it!

Isn't taking out your earplugs, even if it's only for a couple of seconds, a bit risky? That volume-peak, in combination with the rest of the day, could be harmful, or couldn't it?

24. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I really did. And so did around a gazillion other fans. My wife had been to a couple of Stones concerts in the 70's and early 80's. She said that they were both terrific, but this was the best by far.

I'm glad you asked that question. Look, everything in the world is "a bit risky." The question is whether or not you consider whatever risk there might be to be an acceptable risk. And as I see it, the chance of my incurring a clinically significant auditory injury (i.e., something that will make a lasting difference) from 10 or 15 seconds without earplugs at an open air rock concert is pretty damned low!

25. Lisa123
      Overworked

Lisa123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I got tinnitus because of mogwai.. Went to one of their gigs unprotected.. Dumbest thing ever..

26. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Why was it dumb?

Dumb is lying down on the railroad tracks in the way of an oncoming train.

Dumb isn't doing what 99% of the population does, not unless you knew ahead of time that going to a Mogwai concert without earplugs could actually cause real harm to your auditory system.

So, Lisa, did you know ahead of time that you might develop severe intrusive tinnitus that might literally change your life? I bet not!

27. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013

So I do not think the way to think about it is, "can I ever go to a concert/movie etc. again?" You should think more, "am I personally, emotionally ready to do this and still enjoy it?"

I got T about two years ago from a concert. I didn't go to many, it was blues music and the concept of plugging my ears to listen to music didn't compute - I had no idea something like this could happen. So I had a lot of left-over fear about those kind of events.

That said, since then, I've been to bars, movies, and a concert. I wore earplugs to everyone single one and they were all fun. My T was no different when I left than from when I came in. I didn't get any crazy spikes sneaking up weeks later either. I think as long as you feel ready enough that you'll have fun and not panic the whole time, and as long as you protect yourself, you're going to be fine and have fun. If you're not ready yet, accept that and wait till you are. T is a trauma and healing emotionally and physically takes time. If you don't go though, just make sure you make room to imagine yourself going to an event in the future. That way not going isn't such an upsetting thing :)

Hope you enjoy either way!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      This is very true. I am in a band and feel that just now I am starting to emerge from this emotionally to a point where I'm starting to enjoy band practice again. I use 15dB plugs (and force my bandmates to do the same, though they don't always listen) and have earmuffs at hand, although I've carefully come to realize that the muffs muffle the sound too much and don't really give any added ear protection benefit. I've also found that after a few months of practicing for an hour every week that a) I don't have any lasting effects and b) I enjoy it more. I've also been somewhat wary of going to movies though I've been to a few but am planning on going to Jurassic World with my wife on Friday.

Psychologically, one of the best investments I've made with T is buying a pair of musician earplugs that has a keychain I can connect to my keys. It means I literally bring them everywhere I go and it makes me feel good.

29. Xorthian
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So my T is barely maskable. I care less and less with passing days.
      Yesterday i was at slipknot live performance. Noise level between bands was 85db. When they played it was 4 times louder so probsbly around 105-115db. I wore 30-40db foam protective plugs. When they started to play i could barely hear my T in front rows @20-25 metrs from stage. It was on closed stadium so i decided to move to back rows after 1 or 2 songs. There i could hear my T clearly again on level with music. Actually i heard it probably even better than now i do when im on moderately busy street with 75d noise. I cant mask it entirely in restaurants either.
      So i ended up around 100+ meters from stage with earplugs and after whole gig i didnt have any problems hearing nor fullness in ear. My gf still feels her ear is full though but i warned her. I took plug for 10 sec off at one point cause i wanted to push it further and wow it was unbearable. No idea how i attended those events before....

After gig i might had some additional sounds in head. I cant even tell for sure if they werent my everyday sounds. I will let you know op how it turns out. I have like 3 or more sounds and one is still changing so hard to tell. I was curious if i can ever attend those events. Definitely bass and bone conduction can be problem. Im tired of t dictating my life. Will do audiogram tommorow as well.

30. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Going to one of their gigs unprotected isn't the dumbest. I went to ten of their gigs unprotected. Now that is dumb! Still, sorry to hear about your misfortune. It was Bardo Pond that originally did it for me I think. In a tiny little venue. I wish I knew about earplugs and tinnitus back then, although actually music only gave me mild t compared to what I have now.

I love the passion of Mogwai's first few records, but nowadays I kinda hold that band to be really irresponsible for playing at the volume they do. And for John Cummings stupid guitar mangling sessions at the end of gigs (don't know if he still does that but it is a bit dumb really for a grown-up). Still, not many bands can lay claim to a tune that does things to your soul like Helicon 1 or Mogwai Fear Satan do.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1