Antidepressants and Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Street Spirit, Dec 8, 2014.

1. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

my 2 cents- i have years of experience with Cymbalta. In fact, it helped me the first time so i haven't tried anything else. I tapered it off also quite easily, after 2,5 years of 30mg of use. Can't quit cold turkey though.

At the time i did not develope H, after i quit C and had some acoustic traumas i did not recover as i normally would. My theory is that C protected me. SNRI or serotonine reuptake inhibitor is widely known for pain easer as well. I'm on C again right now and my H has not come back after LLLT, about a year ago. Ofc i'm being overly paranoid, protective and careful these days. I would get on, at least somekind of a SNRI/SSRI-asap!

"If I recall correctly, 95% of Seratonin is produced in the gut"- then i would eat bananas all day, take sun and eat L-Tryptophan. But it has not been major help as i have needed the SNRI/SSRI to sensitize 5-HT receptor.

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/hearing/hyperacusis.htm

"Hyperacusis is very often associated with migraine (where it is called phonophobia). Because migraine is extremely common (10% of the population), it likely accounts for at least 90% of all hyperacusis. Migraine involves serotonin pathways, which are also postulated to be at the root of central hyperacusis"

food for thought

2. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      @rainman Great to hear you found something that helped you. Are you on them for anxiety?

3. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      I just took the 1st zoloft/venlafaxine pill while having dinner.
      The temezapam last night helped, I slept for 6/7 hours instead of the 3/4 hours or no sleep.
      I also took 1 xanax today.

4. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      @DutchGuy I'll be interested to read how you get on with it. Hopefully this time next month you'll be a lot better. Keep us informed.

• Like Like x 1
    5. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      I'll keep y'all updated!

• Like Like x 1
    6. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Nor did I imply that's all you would have to do. Taking an SSRI doesn't change the fact the vast majority of Serotonin is found in the gut.

ADs work by promoting the growth of new brain cells in the hippocampal regions of the brain to replace cells killed or prevented from growing by chronically high stress hormone levels in the brain, and strengthening connections between the emotional areas of the Limbic system and the frontal lobes which create consciousness. The process takes time, as well - up to several months in some people.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

Depression. Yes i know about hippocampal growth. AD only grows about 2% of it, luckily we NSI-189 novel molecule in human trials going, to have the opportunity to expand that growth about 10 times.

My hippo is hungry!;)
      tumblr_inline_mq81feF4X11qz4rgp.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (club drumming)
      We should have a TT picture competiton. Some of the images being posted recently are great :)

NSI-189 anecdote - T got worse:
      http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/58442-nsi-189/page-40

"I'm 5 days into it. The headaches have have been random but usually have been getting a headache for at least several hours each day...some lasting longer up to 4-5 hours. I rarely get headaches. They are mild headaches but definitely feel headachey. The headache does have a feeling of pressure that encompasses the entire head but the pressure is most noticeable across the temples and behind the ears. I also have developed noticeably worse tinnitus."

Headache without a headache - pressure behind the ears and temple. Been there.

9. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      ok everyone.....has anyone tried these EFT methods?
      Can anyone post who has tried them and what results?
      Perhaps we can have a small group on here who can try them to see what the results are?
      Below is how to do it without having to read all the other stuff.
      Basically it is tapping on acupuncture points (acupuncture is known to work cos it is currently used and has been used for ages in the NHS in UK) and mentally or out loud verbally repeating certain statements (so self CBT perhaps)....

http://emofree.com/eft-tutorial/tapping-basics/how-to-do-eft.html

Anyone up for this instead of taking pills and chemicals into the body?

10. Pasternak
      Stressed

Pasternak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      regular use of pain meds for years
      My advice would be: stay away from Remeron if you have H. For some reason, it is widely recommended on the forum, while H is clearly listed as a side effect on product leaflet. I recently had a huge 3 day long spike in both T and H after ingesting a single dose of 7,5 mg.

Also, the Midazolam hangover is a piece of cake compared to the zombie like state it induced.

11. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Yea I just read about the hyperacusis thing from Remeron :( Is there a way to win the antidepressant side-effect lottery? Like is there an anti-anxiety/depression drug that would not make T/H worse? Seems like all of them have the chance of ear problems getting worse..I'm not a gambler

12. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I take Lexapro and the odd Valium when needs be,neither make my T or H worse but just take the edge off of it.

13. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Lexapro my dr suggested..but I have read too many stories about it increasing T:(