Antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, MAOs, TCAs, TeCAs)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Pat, May 10, 2012.

1. Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Um, what are potassium channel modulators??

2. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      "Tinnitus is thought to arise from neural hyperactivity. As potassium ion channels play an important role in regulating the resting potential and spontaneous and evoked neural activity, potassium channel modulators may represent potential therapeutic targets for tinnitus therapy. Potassium channel modulators have also attracted attention as potential therapeutic targets for pain, epilepsy, anxiety and other hyperexcitability disorders (148, 149). In a preliminary report utilizing a rat behavioral model, the potassium channel modulators flindokalner (BMS-204352; MaxiPost™), and its (R)-enantiomer (R-MaxiPost™) reduced behavioral evidence of salicylate-induced tinnitus in a dose-dependent manner (150). Both enantiomers are KCa1.1 (BK) positive modulators and Kv7.1 negative modulators (149, 151). MaxiPost and its (R)-enantiomer modulate Kv7.2-Kv7.5 ion channels positively and negatively, respectively. These results suggest that potassium channel modulators may represent new therapeutic candidates for tinnitus management."

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. labrat10687

labrat10687 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      When I was on Amitriptyline the dose I was on was 50mg. It worked at that dose so in my case there was no reason to increase it. It also did away with my daily headaches.

4. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Don't make this wrong if your T stopped with trobalt + cat's claw avoid amitriptyline is ototoxic.

5. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I know...Sad isn't it?

6. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      MY T/H were caused my a regimen of ssri' and Cipro. 3 years later Im a mess. Ive battled dont drink dont smoke
      eat well exercise all right. The conclusion that strikes me is I have to get off these drugs to have any kind of life.
      I want to taper off Venlafaxine see how the T/H work out.

7. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Ive never meet a doc who fessed up about any med. Why would they, they push the stuff.
      You have anxiety and depression what do you get from an MD? Im really fighting for my life.
      Recently went to another shrink. She gave me Oxcarbezapine saying it will tame your tinnitus.
      It messed my up, crying for three weeks. Less sleep more T/H. They have huge egos never admit any
      wrong doing.

8. labrat10687

labrat10687 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I would have to say that people should avoid every drug there is because none of them are 100% safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. tdn
      Sweet tooth

tdn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trazodone
      I would be EXTREMELY careful with these kind of meds.

I got my tinnitus from a single 75mg dose of trazodone / trittico. Never had any ear or tinnitus problems before (tbh I didn't even really know or care what tinnitus was). I took a single pill before going to sleep (got more or less knocked out by the trazodone), and woke up with my BRUTAL 11/10 tinnitus that hasn't stopped almost 3 years later.

It's funny really, the trazodone was prescribed because I had some (slight) problems with insomnia and it ended up giving me super-insomnia (thanks to this relentless screeching in my head). Oh well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. Every one of these drugs report T as side effect..yet when your mental health is going down the toilet, what do you do?

I'm surprised you have docs that care enough to look. Mine sure don't!

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. with that said. .anyone try wellbutrin?

12. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      yeah, dr.nagler

13. implying his T resulted from wellbutrin? I thought it was hearing loss? @Dr. Nagler did wellbutrin give you T?

14. labrat10687

labrat10687 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I tried Wellbutrin at first and it did not help me in any way. When I finally tried Amitriptyline it helped a great deal with my sleep.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Maybe this has been discussed here a thousand times, if it has sorry.

The question I have is, is there anyone that has gone off any of these drugs after a extended period of time and experienced a reduction in their tinnitus or hyperacusis?

16. MarioT
      No Mood

MarioT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + SSRI medication
      There does not seem to be a single f"§§§%ng antidepressant that does not have T as a possible side effect....
      T is much more bearable when I dont feel exhausted, depressed or anxious. From that aspect one would think that maybe antidepressant medication could be the solution to this seemingly unsolvable problem.
      On the other hand though it was Citalopram that gave me this torturous present... I would be an idiot to start another antidepressant and taking the risk of worsening an already horrible T, wouldnt I?

17. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Yes don't go that road. I will not go it either.

18. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Remeron is a common AD on this forum and people have had good results using it

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Probably the best thing I've read at TT.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    20. inadmin

inadmin Member

I did, and noticed an increase, stopped right away, after 1-2 pills. Christian78 had a very noticable worsening from it which never went down.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. ="inadmin, post: 102614, member: 1113"]I did, and noticed an increase, stopped right away, after 1-2 pills. Christian78 had a very noticable worsening from it which never went down.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear about Christian78 :(

22. Melbournian

Melbournian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/1991
      Tinnitus became problematic for me in 1991 and in 2001, after some noise exposure and a flare up in my tinnitus, stressed out and at my wits end, I went to my GP, whom I had brought up my issues with tinnitus and he gave me a script for Paroxetine (Paxil) 10mg.
      After an adjustment period of a few weeks where I got used to the Paxil, I continued on for a number of months and did find that the Paxil, even at that fairly low dose did help me ignore the tinnitus more easily.
      Unfortunately, I then got into a relationship which quickly became dysfunctional (partly my fault, partly hers) and after a breakup and emotional trauma (long story) my dose on Paroxetine became 20mg.

Over the years, Paroxetine has been useful, BUT it can be and is a very difficult to come off and has a number of well documented withdrawal symptoms.

So, despite my efforts, now in 2015 I am still on 20mg daily of Paroxetine.

• Useful Useful x 2
    23. gintas

gintas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015-05
      any experience with Cymbalta, Valdoxan ? zoloft was bad for me . what the best for sleep ? taking lorozepam 1.25 and half Valdoxan for slepp. but not feeling good . nor sleep very ok- ok i have 6 hours of it .

• Useful Useful x 1
    24. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I should have done more research. Remeron and Trazodone are both ototoxic and I would not recommend them to anyone on this board. I am off Remeron for good. I will never go near that stuff again. I am trying to wean myself off Trazodone, but it's been an awful and difficult withdrawal period. If you don't need to go down this road, don't. And, don't ever, ever take your doctor's word for it.

25. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi Michael. I am currently tapering Trazadone very slowly. If you don't mind, can you tell me what your withdrawal symptoms are like?

26. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am down to 12.5 mg and have to say, I am all over the map, since I am withdrawing from Remeron and Trazadone. I am feeling terrible anxiety, moodiness, weight loss and many of the other ones mentioned. I keep reminding myself that each day it will get better. Only way to get through it.

27. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I'm down to 25 Trazadone from 75. I noticed that once I got to 25 the mood swings stopped. I am still taking 7.5 Remeron. How was that withdrawal? I hear that's harder to taper. Any T changes with tapering?

28. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      To be honest, no. My T has not changed at all. I've been told it gets worse when you're withdrawing, which is what is happening right now. I'm hoping it's going to even out soon. I found getting off Remeron was not all that hard, but I hadn't yet tapered off Trazodone yet, so my experience would be different from someone just tapering off Remeron. I'm glad to hear of your experience. It gives me hope, because the mood swings and anxiety are wearing me (and my wife) out.

29. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      This is very interesting. I am basically doing the reverse of what you are doing. I'm tapering Trazadone first, and next is Remeron. You tapered Remeron first, now you're tapering Trazadone. I am going very slowly, I'm 9 months into my taper. The reason being, I don't want to hit a wall on insomnia that I can't get past. Also T spikes. I had a couple that lasted a few minutes that were super loud and made me nervous to say that least. But I've read T spikes can happen when tapering. May I ask how fast did you taper the Remeron? You might be having the mood swings and anxiety as a combination withdrawal effect from both meds. I've done a lot of reading and these symptoms can crop up a month or more of being completely off an AD. Try getting as much exercise as possible. Gives you a nice seratonin boost and calms your anxiety.

Hang in there, it will get much better.

30. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm pretty sure much of my problem is indeed from Remeron withdrawal, which I stopped cold turkey. I am tapering off Trazodone much more slowly now. I am up against an insomnia wall and have been struggling with the associated anxiety. But now that I recognize what's likely going on, I am going to put together a plan and stick with it. But, my goodness, does this ever feel awful.