Antinitus Tinnitus Patch — Does It Work?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Tinnitus Talk, Oct 10, 2015.

1. October 10th, 2015

Akloma Tinnitus AB (company behind Antinitus) threatened legal action against our non-profit organization due to some of our members expressing their opinion of Antinitus being a scam in the original discussion thread.

While we admit no liability whatsoever in relation to the allegations made, to bring matters to closure and to avoid lengthy and what we feel completely unnecessary legal proceedings, we decided to show a gesture of good will by complying with their request to delete the earlier thread.

In this new thread, let's have a constructive discussion about the company and the product.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Mats Reimer MD

Mats Reimer MD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2008
      This product looks like pseudoscience.

A transparent adhesive patch is placed behind one ear. The pattern in the "matrix" is supposed to "convert ordinary, chaotic light into fractal light that affects water molecules ... into a coherent organised state with natural fractal order". This so called "organizing" of the body's water is somehow supposed to help against tinnitus. For some unspecified reason the "matrix" in the patch apparently wears out since a new patch must be put on every day for several weeks.
      http://www.antinitus.com/how-it-works/

The inventor probably believes in his work, he has been working with "synchronized" water for years. In the patent applications he seriously claims that light filtered through his "topographic geometrical matrix" can alter the properties of water, even lowering the freezing point to -8*C.
      http://www.google.com/patents/US20110130703
      http://www.google.com/patents/US20100217359

It is true that there has been two small clinical trials, but no publication in any peer reviewed journal so far. In my opinion it was shameful that they got ethical permission to do the trials since it is such an obvious waste of time for the participating tinnitus patients.

In it's advertising the company claim to have official approval, but all they have is the lowest level of permission for medical devices, a certificate of registration where they have made a simple declaration that the product is not harmful. But it is harmful. To the patients' wallet.
      http://www.akloma.com/new_CE_Certification_2015.pdf

The Antinitus patch is not for sale in North America or the Scandinavian countries. I believe this is because these countries have stronger protection for consumers, or stronger regulations of medical products. I have been informed by the Advertising Standard Authority in UK that they "received a complaint from a UK consumer about advertising by this company that appears on its website, and the complaint has been referred by the ASA to the Swedish self-regulatory body". Unfortunately this leads nowhere since the "Swedish ASA" Reklamombudsmannen only deals with advertising aimed at Swedish consumers, and the patch is not for sale in Sweden... Catch 22.

I have been blogging about this sad (but also comical) story since 2012, and the latest news is that the company Akloma has been acquired by another Swedish company, Paradox Entertainment, which is listed on the stock exchange First North/Nasdaq. While I do think the inventor is sincere (but wrong), I'm not so sure about the doctors and other members of the board.

Below You can find links to my Swedish blog. I'm afraid that GoogleTranslate is not that good at Swedish.

Mats Reimer
      Pediatrician and sceptical blogger for the magazine Dagens Medicin ("Today's medicine")
      Gothenburg
      Sweden

http://www.dagensmedicin.se/blogg/m...sa-patienters-tid-pa-aklomas-tinnitusplaster/

http://www.dagensmedicin.se/blogg/m...gare-som-reklam-for-bolagets-tinnitusplaster/

http://www.dagensmedicin.se/blogg/m...mmenderar-svenska-tinnitusplastret-antinitus/

http://www.dagensmedicin.se/blogg/m...barbaren-betalar-for-magiskt-tinnitusplaster/

http://www.dagensmedicin.se/blogg/m...ot-tinnitus-hittar-kryphal-i-konsumentskyddet

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Imagine a questionable Cancer cure company suing and trying to take down a Cancer support group.
      That is all I will say on the matter at this point.

• Like Like x 9
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 2
    4. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      They were bought by a video-game company? Now that's even stranger lol

• Like Like x 3
    5. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Not really, they are into fantasy.

• Funny Funny x 4
    6. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Haha! I actually liked some of their games. Shame...

7. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Use this patch while reading the Tinnitus Miracle Cure and all your troubles will be behind you.

• Funny Funny x 7
      • Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      British Tinnitus Association says the following:

Antinitus has been receiving a lot of publicity lately, especially via social media. There is no evidence that it works, and it has been around for some time. The packaging in small print says “clinicially demonstrated” not “clinically proven” and we have not received details of the claimed evidence from the manufacturers despite a request from our Chief Executive.

Unfortunately, any medical problem for which there is no standard cure or reliable treatment is fair game for those who wish to take advantage of people who are seeking help for their problem. Newspapers and magazines and especially the internet, routinely publish advertisements about "tinnitus relief." These ads are usually accompanied by what appears to be convincing testimonials.

* Those seeking treatment should be aware that, no matter how compelling, testimony is not evidence.
      * Testimonials never indicate how many failed to find relief.
      * These so-called "miracle cures" have not been scientifically tested for safety or effectiveness.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      They will sell this and earn money until the last idiot has found out it is useless.
      And this can take some time.

If they would be convinced of their product, they would send Tinnitus Talk some samples and if it works, this forum here would be a better promotion than anything else.

• Funny Funny x 2
    10. Sven
      Not amused

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Akloma/Antinitus: Since you obviously read this thread; how come you never ever reply to critical and/or skeptic comments or questions? I asked you twice on Facebook and you blocked me AND deleted my posts. The other day I saw that someone else had linked to a website from 2012 with the exact same trial results as the ones you posted. No reply and today that had been deleted as well.

Why would we NOT think that you're fake? You've done nothing so far to prove us wrong.

(Not that I actually expect an answer here, either.)

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Mats Reimer MD

Mats Reimer MD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2008
      The local newspaper Göteborgs-Posten made a small article about my latest blog, about this Swedish company selling questionable medical products on other markets. But I'm still hoping that other mainstream media dig into this story.

• Like Like x 2
    12. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Thanks @Dean holloway for your status update (I'm just posting this here as well because not everybody reads the profile status updates):

Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 21.32.32.png

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    13. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      antinitus-karolinska-institutet.png

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. donico
      Creative

donico Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's what I thought, evil people trying to get rich on our hopes, not that the pharmaceutical companies are any better.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      If Antinitus worked, the company that made them would be zillionaires, and the story would be on the front cover of the New York Times.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Mats Reimer MD

Mats Reimer MD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2008
      The strange patch (with the topographical matrix creating coherent light that structures body water) is now sold by the company Sensori AB (former name Paradox Entertaintment). They sold the rights to "Coonan the Barbarian" and bought Antinitus.

http://www.bloomberg.com/profiles/companies/SORI:SS-sensori-ab

• Like Like x 1
    17. Charron
      Badass

Charron Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sshl???
      My son found Antinitus on Facebook, with big claims of success.

Lol I'm going on Facebook right now to tell everyone it's pseudoscientific fantasy! I thought as much but thought I'd ask the experts!

Hahahah Antinitus just deleted my post on Facebook, hhmmmmm wonder why!!! Says it all really doesn't it x

18. jclarke

jclarke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      husband has tinnitus for 18 months
      I bought these 'plasters' for my husband who suffers terribly from tinnitus and they were a complete waste of money. Please, anyone contemplating purchasing these don't - they really do not work

19. Goldilocks
      Lonely

Goldilocks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Original T 1995, aggravated T 2014, increase 2016
      Tried them about a year ago. Did nothing for me.

20. barnacle
      Worried

barnacle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise et al.
      Why did none of their studies use a placebo patch? Only one answer I think!

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      I'm not sure but I sense some sarcasm here :p,i think it's hilarious how a product that is a patch gets bought by a gaming company.It's just beyond irony them threatening with legal actions is laughable (although i'm aware it's serious) A " patch " is going to cure my Tinnitus,yeah right,the explanation of how it works is like Geralt using his alchemy inventory to mix all kinds of potions and herbs.

Yes!! that right there is a red flag.Especially them avoiding their native soil.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. buzzer

buzzer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I had seen a tweet by Julian Lennon that said he didn't usually recommend things but that he recommended the Antinitus Tinnitus Patch.

So I researched it and saw a lot of positive posts and some press releases.

So I decided to try it as any chance of something helping (and also natural) was worth a try, and at any price.

I had a friend in Italy purchase it last fall 2015 and send it to me in the US, since you can't order it from here.

Used it as directed with no result at all.

Of course it says the one month supply may not be enough, but at the $100US and no change, I decided not to get more.

Also started to see a some negative post showing up on Internet after trying it.

At this point I feel it is all marketing and unless they have third party clinical trials I would not purchase again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. ayda

ayda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dermatitis
      On June 16 I made the purchase of the patches. It is assumed that when you register and pay a tracking number is sent but that never came, so I sent the receipt to sales@antinitus.com, info@antinitus.com, support@antinitus.com, which are the contact emails and report everything.

I wrote on the Facebook page and every time I make a comment they erase it. In the Messenger of Facebook, I wrote and told them to send email proof but I get no answer, and no tracking number for more than six weeks. No one answers.

For me this is a scam and if you see on the Facebook page, all comments are asking for the product but none saying if it worked. I demand my money back, even if the product arrived. Is that understood.

24. Terrym

Terrym Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music (I think)
      I bought and used Antinitus. The only thing it did is lighten my wallet.

IT DID NOTHING FOR MY TINNITUS AT ALL.

I emailed them a couple of times to ask for a refund. I emailed them to complain about the scam they are running. They never replied to any of my emails.

Stay away from the ANTINITUS SCAM.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Mats Reimer MD

Mats Reimer MD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2008
      Hi, the company behind Antinitus is still loosing money every year.

They have published a small pilot trial, but since there was no control group that's not worth much.
      The patches are now for sale to Swedish customers also, and I have asked the Swedish consumer protection agency to have a look at their advertising. The Medical Products Agency is already making an inquiry.

The paper Dagens Medicin (Today's Medicine) recently had a skeptical news piece about the product, but unfortunately that text not online, only in print media.

In Swedish
      IMG_4481.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    26. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Should also mention that Tinnitus Talk is the forum they are discussing in the article but it isn't mentioned by name @Markku @Steve

27. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      A translation of the article generously provided below by @Samir (thanks!).

I'm going to make some inquiries in an effort to find out what kind of data Antinitus presented (if they did - they said they were planning to in the article) at the World Tinnitus Congress (which was earlier this week).

dagens-medicin-antinitus-patch.JPG

FIRST SECTION:
      There is no evidence that the tinnitus patch is working

A medical patch that's claimed to relieve tinnitus is now being sold to patients in Sweden. But the critics say that there is no evidence that the product is working.

- "At first glance I think this is a little strange. I find it difficult to understand that it is allowed to sell this type of treatment without having hard evidence that it is working," says Gerhard Andersson, a tinnitus researcher and professor in clinical psychology at Linköping university.

We are talking about the Antinitus patch that's being sold directly to consumers by the Swedish company Sensori. After being aimed at foreign patients at first, there is a now a Swedish version of the site where one can order the patch at a cost of 790 Swedish crowns for a three week treatment regime.

The patch is attached behind the ear and is said to convert incidenting light into fractal light through a raster. This fractal light is in turn supposed to produce water molecules and give "biological tissue a more coherent state." According to the company's hypothesis, this "could" relieve tinnitus.

Control group missing
      There is no basic scientific study published that would directly support this mechanism. But a small pilot study has recently been published where five of ten patients reported less tinnitus distress after using the patch for three weeks. According to the company, a similar result has been achieved in another study with one hundred patients that is yet to be published.

- "It is difficult to draw any conclusion from these two studies, where there is no control group and no blindfolding of the participants. I hope that the company will do a proper placebo controlled study," says Gerhard Andersson.

The company claims that there barely is any placebo effect in tinnitus treatment. Gerhard Andersson is doubtful about that.

- "My clinical experience is that there is a placebo effect in caring for the patient alone. Just because no significant placebo effects have been observed in other studies does not free the company from doing a controlled study for the treatment," he says.

Threatened to sue
      In several previous blog posts, Dagens Medicins' blogger Mats Reimer has raged against the patch which he considers to be a pure scam product.

- "The company is making money off of tinnitus sufferers' inability to find another treatment. There is only one placebo effect here. As far as I understand it is the unreasonable and unproven biological principle that the patch is said to work by," says Mats Reimer, who works as a children's doctor in Mölnlycke and himself is suffering from tinnitus.

Similar criticism has also been founded on the world's largest web forum for tinnitus sufferers, the British Tinnitus Talk. But that time around, the company threatened to sue for slander.

- "They knew that we would have limited resources to defend the freedom of speech of our members. But we were fortunate to find a lawyer who worked pro bono. In the end, we found a compromise where we took away the most critical posts," says Markku Vesala, one of the founders of Tinnitus Talk.

The Swedish Medical Products Agency is investigating
      Antinitus is a medical device in the lowest risk class. This means that it can be put on market with low proof requirements for its medical claims. The Medical Products Agency is now investigating the product, but the agency is not willing to comment the case until the investigation is finished after the summer.

SECOND SECTION:
      The Company: "We know that the patch is beneficial"

At Sensori, the founder and CEO Tommy Rönngren is upset over the statements saying that the Antinitus patch is a placebo product and that the company is using tinnitus sufferers to their advantage.

- "We are likely the biggest on tinnitus research in the world. We have invested over 100 million Swedish crowns since the year 2000. It's strange that we are receiving critique instead of applause for having a Swedish innovation that's reaching the World's height," he says.

"We know that it has effect"
      Tommy Rönngren states that the patch is not a placebo and motivates that by saying that the placebo effect when tinnitus studies are concerned is very small - at least according to a review that the ENT doctor Peter Åhnblad has recently done, using eight recently published placebo controlled tinnitus studies.

Furthermore, Tommy Rönngren points out that within the studies that the company has done so far, it seems that the relief of symptoms was greatest four weeks after completing the treatment, and that one of three had a lasting relief two years after the treatment.

What evidence do you have that fractal light can affect the hearing experience?
      - "Data on the mechanisms is due for publication. The mechanism is in part a hypothesis, but we know that it has effect because we see positive results in clinical studies", says Tommy Rönngren.

But your uncontrolled patient studies have very weak evidence value...
      - "Two clinical studies have been conducted and a third study is in progress. All the studies have been conducted and continue to be conducted in accordance with the regulatory framework for medical device products. Evidence value is very high, just as in our post market follow ups. We will present more data on the World Tinnitus Congress in May."

How do you comment the fact that you conducted a legal process against a patient forum because critical comments were posted there?
      - "We were slandered and pure inaccuracies were claimed."

Hoping for breakthrough
      The turnover of Sensori for year 2016 was 1.3 million Swedish crowns while the revenue was a loss of 14.2 million Swedish crowns. According to the latest annual report, the company believes that year 2017 could be the product's commercial breakthrough.

• Like Like x 2
    28. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      o_O

I could not find any reference to it in the WTC abstract that Markku posted earlier today.

Please do! But don't be surprised if you find out that they did not attend.

:facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    29. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      There are actually three companies registered.

Sensori AB > Svenska Tinnitus AB > Antinitus AB

Antinitus AB
      Org ID: 556761-5355
      Business & Purpose:

In Swedish: Bolaget ska bedriva forskning, utveckling, tillverkning och marknadsföring inom området för bioteknik och life science, äga och förvalta aktier och annan egendom med anknytning därtill samt driva annan därmed förenlig verksamhet.

In English: The company will carry out research, development, manufacturing and marketing within the area of biotechnology and life science, own and manage shares and other property with connection to the same and carry out other thereby compatible business.

Svenska Tinnitus AB
      Org ID: 559026-7844
      Business & Purpose:

In Swedish: Bolaget skall bedriva forskning, utveckling, tillverkning och marknadsföring inom området för bioteknik och life sciences, äga och förvalta aktier och annan egendom med anknytning därtill samt driva annan därmed förenlig verksamhet.

In English: Same as above. Except for a slight alteration of "ska" into "skall". Comparable to the English "will" vs. "shall".

Sensori AB
      Org ID: 556536-8684
      Business & Purpose:

In Swedish: Bolaget skall bedriva forskning, utveckling, tillverkning, marknadsföring och försäljning av produkter samt utbildning inom området för bioteknik och life science, äga och förvalta aktier och annan egendom med anknytning därtill samt bedriva annan därmed förenlig verksamhet.

In English: The company shall carry out research, development, manufacturing, marketing and sales of products and education within the area of biotechnology and life science, own and manage shares and other property with connection to the same and carry out other thereby compatible business.

You can PM me for a Plain English translation.

30. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Says it all, really!