Anxiety and panic are back!

Discussion in 'Support' started by terry123, Mar 5, 2013.

1. terry123

terry123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      I had an up day and sleep yesterday!!! This morning the HELL IS BACK. I JUST NEED TO SAY IT AND REALIZE THAT THERE ARE OTHER SUFFERING TOO.

• Like Like x 1
    2. aurelientt

aurelientt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Hey Terry, I can say that I understand how you feel. For the past couple of weeks I had been doing better. This morning, I woke up and had a near panic attack.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Joel

Joel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/13
      No worries Terry .. there have been a few times where i thought I was done with it because it got so quiet only to be slammed the next day with the "siren"

I am starting to learn what my best "distractions" are though .. for me it's best to exercise, play music (quietly) or listen to tunes (quietly).

Hang in there today.

• Like Like x 2
    4. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      • Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      terry123

terry123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      The noise is getting more faint, I am sleeping a little better with suplements. I feel like I am making progress.
      The panic attack as I start my day makes me feel like a trapped animal.

I have viewed the tapping exercise video. I am trying to deep breathe. and realize that this will pass.
      I go this site and am recieving support Thank you all who share. I am at the computer with the free rain mask you suggested for some relief

I am a recovering addict, for over 32 years and am fully aware of the dangers involved in using the benzo drugs to combat this panic and anxiety.

Nothing could be as bad as going back to that lway of life. I see my ENT today. I am hoping to have him OK a return to swimming. I think it might jus help with the stress and anxiety. I would appreciate any other thoughts or possible solutions.

• Like Like x 1
    6. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Are you using any kind of caffeine?

• Like Like x 1
    7. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      What kind of panic is it? Is it due to the tinnitus?

Also, get yourself some Chamomile tea or Tension Tamer tea. I use it to calm down when I get anxious and even in the morning if I wake up that way. I don't drink any kind of caffeine anymore. There are natural supplements for anxiety. Did you research that here or google?

I understand you don't want to take drugs, but if you take a as needed drug like lorazepam, would that bring on another addiction cycle for you?

• Like Like x 1
    8. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      There are other ways - non medication - that may help. I will post some other exercises and you can try them and see if anything works.

Dr. Serge King (psychiatrist) developed a breath/acupressure exercise called Dynamind http://www.alohainternational.org/html/dmteng.html

Ho'opononpono - You Tube has lots of exercises on it.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Joel

Joel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/13
      For me I can literally outrun panic and anxiety. Maybe you can out swim it?

Also some kind of meditative exercise to engage the mind as well... I'm an avid martial artist. Consistent training really does balance you out and can help with T anxiety. Even a low impact art like Tai Chi ... amazing stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      terry123

terry123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Any sugesstions what to do without using drugs to deal with the fear or anxiety.

My Sharing here seems to help. Maybe misery like company? Or I change my focus ?

Any Port in a storm. Anyone up for a conversation?

Terry

• Like Like x 1
    11. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hi Terry

A drug that helps for the occasional dealing with what you are concerned about is lorazeoam. I don't tkae the full does unless it is really a big issue.

As far as natural and supplements... you can goole that and see all kind of things. We even have some threads on that here. Try looking under Alternative and support categories.

I take inositol - ranging from 3grams to 6 grams a day. It is cheaper in powder form - Swansons.com and is slightly sweet so you can put it in juices.

Inositol, which was considered part of the vitamin B-complex at one time, is a natural carbohydrate that regulates cellular functions and enzyme activity. Inositol also plays a role in a few chemical reactions in your brain, which are related to mood regulation. As such, inositol is used to treat stress-induced anxiety, panic disorder, mild forms of depression and other psychological conditions. Excessive anxiety can lead to serious health conditions, so consulting your primary care physician is recommended.
      Functions of Inositol

Inositol is involved in the transmission of information between nerve cells. It has a particular affect on serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter involved in mood regulation. Specifically, inositol is a serotonin uptake inhibitor and used to combat a variety of psychological disorders that are based on serotonin or other neurotransmitter imbalance, as is discussed in "Biochemical, Physiological and Molecular Aspects of Human Nutrition." Excessive stress often disrupts chemicals in the brain and other hormones, which leads to feelings of anxiety, among other symptoms. Inositol is also involved in triggering the release of calcium within cells, which may be effective for treating some nervous system disorders, including anxiety and panic attacks.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Terry,

I might not be too much help to you as I could not deal with the terror without drugs. I tried. I tried really, really hard. But after spending weeks of shaking, on the verge of a panic attack and not being able to go out without someone with me I went the drugs route. I paid to see a psychiatrist as they are the ones who dont mess about and arent afraid to prescribe. The guy had helped a few tinnitus patients he told me. His drug of choice was Pregabalin so I took it. Never looked back. I gave me back me. The me who wasnt terrified.
      Its had a very marked effect on my life.

I totally understand people not wanting to take drugs, I never did, but in the end there was no choice.

Pregabalin doesnt build up a tolerance like the Benzos so you dont need to take more and more to get the same effect.

If you do some research you can always find some herbals that deal with anxiety. Gotu Kola is supposed to be good. And there's Picamillon which is a GABA supplement that claims to be able to cross the blood-brain barrier. I never felt any different after taking it though I must admit.

Good luck with your search.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      terry123

terry123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      I AM MAKING PROGRESS WITH SLEEP WITH NATURAL SUPPLEMENTS AND I AM NOW FOR THE MOST PART GETTING 4-5 HOURS OF SLEEP.

BUT ABOUT 2 AM I WAKE UP WITH OVERPOWERING ANXIETY. I FEEL LIKE I AM HEADED DOWM HILL AT A TERRIFIC RATE OF SPEED. THE FEAR PANIC AND ANXIETY ARE TERRIFIC. MY STOMACH IS TIED IN KNOTS AND I FEEL NAUSEUS.

THE LAST FEW DAYS HAVE BEEN FILLED WITH THESE ATTACKS AND I DO NOT HAVE A CLUE ABOUT HOW TO DEAL WITH THEM.

I AM USING NATURAL SUPPLEMENTS AMD MASKING TO HELP HABITUATE TO THE T. I AM EXERCISING.

TODAY I FEEL SO OVER COME WITH ANXIETY . I FEEL LIKE I JUST WANT TO THROW UP! I AM UNABLE TO LEAVE THE HOUSE. I FEEL LIKE I HAVE NO ONE THAT I CAN RELATE TO.

I FEEL LIKE I AM LOSING IT. IF ANYONE ON THE SITE IS GOING THROUGH THIS STUFF OR CAN SHARE WITH ME A LITTLE HOPE AND INNFORMATION , I WILL JUS TRY TO HANG IN THERE TOO1

• Like Like x 1
    14. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Terry,
      You sound so much like me! I'm a little bit farther down the "tinnitus" road than you are, though, and I want to tell you that it WILL get better. You've got to hang in there.

I know you don't want to take any drugs for the anxiety, so here are a few natural supplements that might help. You could try them one at a time --- not all at once! Try holy basil, pharma GABA, magnesium, or reishi mushroom capsules. Natural supplements are slower and more subtle, and they may take a few days to build up in your system, but they do work. For me, I think it was partly psychological when I was taking these supplements; just the thought that if things got bad, I could take something natural. That really kept me going, through the worst of the anxiety.

When you wake up at 2:00 A.M. and start having an anxiety attack, you could get up, walk around a short while to clear your head, and maybe try taking one of the supplements. I have gotten off all of the supplements now, because my anxiety is mostly gone, except that I continue to take magnesium chloride. It really seems to help me. Even my restless legs have gone away since I've been taking the magnesium.

It helps to have some kind of support system, and if you don't have anyone around you that understands, just come onto this site and share your feelings. We understand and care about you!!

It took me awhile, but the anxiety, crying jags, and hopelessness finally calmed down, and I have accepted my tinnitus. I still have the pulsating, too, and I am still looking for answers, but I've settled into a sort of routine, and can face each day as it comes, one day at a time.

Don't give up. Please hang in there, and come here to vent as often as you like!

• Like Like x 3
    15. mick

mick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Yep - what Karen said. If the anxiety gets to be too much, however, you should consider seeing your doctor about anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication. Tinitus is very unpleasant, frustrating, and anxiety producing, but it is not harmful in and of itself. On the other hand, out of control anxiety can hurt you - it is definitely not good for your body to be in an anxious state for days on end. Take care and continue to talk to people here or elsewhere. Keep the faith that it will get better as it has for so many, many people.

• Like Like x 2
    16. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Some great comments here. What ever happened to me, my ears and body took a left turn, should of turned right. Funny thing, I slept good with drugs. As Joel said, woke up to "siren's" in my head, louder than ever. Is this what the drugs are doing to me? I want to wake up healed. My job doesn't help, noise all day, rather loud imo.

I don't even get the anxiety thing, nor do I feel over stressed. My T seems unchangeable, except if I can finally ignore
      it, or get distracted. Anyway, thanks for all the comments concerning T.

• Like Like x 1
    17. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Terry, Have you looked at https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tools-information-and-exercises-for-anxiety-stress-panic.1431/ ????

Have you seen a doctor about Lorazepam? have you tried inositol - 6 grams?

• Like Like x 1