Anxiety Attacks and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Artmuzz, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Artmuzz
      Scared

Artmuzz Member

I have joined this forum as I think I'm starting to have trouble with tinnitus. I have always been a nervous person and have suffered anxiety and depression for 15 years. Just five months ago, I experienced my first full anxiety attack which was a terrifying experience as I thought I was going to die. I lost my mother to cancer last year which has hit me very hard as I was very close to her and the grieving has probably contributed to my anxiety attacks.

I have been experiencing the aftermath symptoms of my anxiety attack which is dizziness/spacey feeling, irritability, pressure in my face, nose, jaws and ears, mild derealisation, headaches, migraines, general pains around the body and tinnitus. I have been experiencing slight tinnitus for a few years but since recently I have noticed the tinnitus has got a lot more higher in frequency. It's like the noise coming from an old CRT television set or computer monitor.

The high pitched tinnitus is worse in the morning when I wake up but goes quieter during the day. Even though it settles down during the day, I can still hear it all the time when I'm in quiet environments or closing my ears and it's making me scared and not doing my anxiety any favours. The tinnitus is mostly coming from my right ear. I also suffer from digestion problems and acid reflux and I grind/clench my teeth in my sleep at night.

I am not on any medication except for vitamin and mineral supplements that I have been taken for five months now. I am taking 500mg of magnesium citrate a day and 1600IU of vitamin D3 as well as turmeric, B-Complex, Omega 3 fish oils and Lemon Balm. Since recently I've taken Apple Cider Vinegar with raw honey in water.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Artmuzz
      Scared

Artmuzz Member

I went to my GP about my tinnitus and she checked my right ear but found nothing wrong. She said it is tinnitus and I'll have to live with it. I explained to her that my tinnitus is worse in the morning and dies down a bit in the afternoon and it is high pitched like a dog whistle and it's affecting my anxiety. She couldn't help me.

3. Dian

Dian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2015
      IMO, after reading a lot of posts, if there is no inner ear damage, it is due to stress. Anti anxiety drugs make it worse, I also read here. Your best bet is probably yoga, meditation, or chi gong and don't drink alcohol or caffeine. I also noticed that sugar increases the tinnitus for me. Anything that increases inflammation makes mine worse. I've been under a lot of stress and the tinnitus has been louder.

4. Your biggest problem is your anxiety. Try natural remedies like above^^^^ and stay OFF tinnitus forums. Sorry about your mother and I know what you're going through...

Sincerely.

Lynn.

5. One last thing...CBT.....

I've done it all..managed ok for 20 some odd years..in the end I needed meds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @Artmuzz
      I am sorry you are going through this. My T also occurred during an anxiety attack. At that moment, something happened in your brain switching on T. I guess it is the brain neurons which fire/overreact, but no longer calm down afterwards. I also have the high-pitched CRT TV in my head, very difficult to handle. An ENT cannot do anything for you, because it is a brain thing.
      My advise is listen to relaxing sounds and crickets. Keep taking supplements for giving your body enough energy. Try living your life as good as possible. There are meds coming like AUT00063 or SF0034. T sucks and it needs a long time for your body and brain to adapt. And sometimes people are lucky and T goes away.
      We are here for you and help as good as possible.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      The thing is that there are no reliable ways to properly assess inner ear function. If your audiogram shows hearing loss than it is easy to tell but many tinnitus patients have no (measurable) hearing loss.

8. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Like @Martin, I identify with a lot of your problems on T and anxiety. I am familiar with the anxiety symptoms you mentioned above, as I have mentioned them too in my success story post. In fact, I was in really bad shape a few years back, having these symptoms on top of the already bad, ultra high pitch dog whistle T, plus the severe hyperacusis which turned all normal sounds glassy and piercingly hurtful, making T so much louder, like a dentist drill 10 times the pitch. For brevity you can read my story on the symptoms I had:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/from-darkness-to-light-how-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

It seemed initially that no way any one could live with such unlivable suffering. I always thought I would never recover and live a good life again. But never say never. Today I am living a normal, productive and absolutely enjoyable life. Good life can be back. If even a person like me with a history of anxiety and panic disorder, dealing with ultra high pitch dog whistle T, severe hyperacusis plus those awful anxiety and panic attack symptoms, if I can recover and live happy again, have faith that you can too. So don't despair and don't panic. Be positive and have a bright hope for the future.

Take good care & God bless.

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    9. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I don't suppose it is much consolation but you are not alone. I have tinnitus from metal poisoning and it's pretty loud like an old CVT Tv. I am told I will learn to live with it, I guess it's a case if having to. Mine is bad all, day but seems worse first thing in the morning.

It's not always easy to establish a cause and I agree with some tunes maybe. Stress can hold it in the body but with I then kinds I think it comes and you are stuck with it.

Tinnitus forums can be stressful places so if stress makes you worse maybe stay away from them

10. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Inspirational post, thank you

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Artmuzz
      Scared

Artmuzz Member

Thank you for that piece of advise. It's good to know I'm not alone in this dark world of anxiety and tinnitus and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Agree Agree x 1