Anxiety Meds and Ototoxicity (BuSpar?)

Discussion in 'Support' started by NimQ, Aug 10, 2017.

1. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Background:
      My tinnitus has been quite manageable for the past few months, but my prolonged - if not chronic - generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is still having control over my life. I have had severe anxiety issues for as long as I remember and now it is at the point where I cannot continue my studies and am incapable of many everyday tasks. :blackeye: So, as a last resort I probably should actually try a proper medication (so far I've only used Valium for the worst anxiety attacks and Remeron/Mirtazapine to be able to sleep).

The burning question(s):
      Now what has this all got to do with tinnitus? You know it... My tinnitus is intrusive and it took me 8 absolutely horrible months to finally start to habituate. I really do not want to take that road again. Which long-term daily medication would be the safest for GAD? My tinnitus came from acoustic trauma and so far no meds have altered it. Tinnitus is of course not the only concern I have, as for example SSRIs can have so many scary side effects and can be addicting.

This is why I have researched Buspirone. It's a medication for anxiety with supposedly less severe side effects than SSRIs and it's non-addictive. It should not have the mind-numbing, personality-changing effect SSRIs can have. However, on its side effects... tinnitus is listed.:confused:

How can I know reliably how ototoxic a medication is and furthermore - if the side effect (like increased tinnitus) will be temporary and go away when quitting? And if Buspirone is out-of-the-question, are there alternatives? This would be preferred, because I would like to try "something safer and milder" before resorting into SSRIs and such. But if I must, which of them is safe?

I have my doctor's appointment tomorrow and I am thinking to ask for Buspirone. But I don't want to regret it later with increased tinnitus and no effect on my anxiety... I guess it's always a gamble, but could you guys help me with your insight to this? Much appreciated ♥ ♥ ♥

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Update: So I went with Mirtazapine (Remeron), since it has no tinnitus mentioned in its side effects and is considered one of the safest when it comes to ototoxicity. I've been taking Mirtazapine for a dose of 12 mg for a week now and should up it to 15 mg.

...The problem is that I've been having constant tinnitus spike ever since. It's like my fluctuating tinnitus just jumped to the max level (like when it spikes after loud noise exposure or anxiety attack) and stays there. I don't understand why this would happen with the med that should not have a risk.

Could it be temporary? Not sure if to continue, as they say the brain might need time to adjust to meds. At the same time I am afraid, since this 24/7 increase in volume is very clear. And also: I do need meds for my anxiety/depression, yet dunno what else to take if even this makes my ears scream.

What to do? :dunno:

3. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      This is an old post but I'm curious to hear what was the outcome.