Anxious! Colonoscopy & Sedation (Midazolam) — Experiences?!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bear0211, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      Hey.

I was just wondering about folk who have had a colonoscopy and how they fared with sedation?

Mine is tomorrow and my anxiety is through the roof. I was told because of my anxiety I’m likely to need sedation. I’ve read it’s likely to be Midazolam. I’m scared it’ll affect my ears :( I just don’t know if I could do it without sedation. :/

I just want to know if an injection of Midazolam would likely have a negative effect on my ears? I really couldn’t cope with them worsening.

Thank ya,
      Clare

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I'm sure you will be fine.

I know the bowel cleaner is not so nice but let me know how you get on as I will be having one in a few weeks after a gastroscopy.

Good luck. Try stay calm. Let them do their job looking after you. Plan a nice treat after.

Love,
      glynis x

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I had my second colonoscopy last September. I don't know which anesthesia they used. I do remember that I did feel very relaxed and a bit mellow before I lost consciousness. The next thing I remembered was the nurse waking me up in the recovery room. There were no unpleasant side-effects either time. I did not experience any change in my tinnitus later that day or the day after.

If this is your first one, the worst part of the entire process is having to drink the prep cocktail numerous times. Once you begin, don't go too far from a bathroom! There comes a point when it can be like having diarrhea.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

4. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      You’ll be fine. I had a colonoscopy about 3 months ago and I just declined the sedation. It’s no big deal, but it can feel sharp when they turn the corners of your bowel. It’s nothing to worry about though.

By far the worst part is the prep. I hope I never have to do that again.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @Ed209, can I ask why you declined the sedation?

I do have a high pain threshold I reckon, it’s just I do have bad health anxiety and, when I went for the consultation, she said yeah, you’ll need sedation... meh.

I think I was wrong to Google. Too many horror stories. My aunt said hers was more uncomfortable than anything. I guess everyone is different, eh.

Thanks for replying :)

6. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Many reasons. Firstly, I needed to drive and didn’t want a prolonged stay. I prefer the in and out approach. Secondly, I have a really high pain threshold. Once you have experienced having your chest cut open (whilst your wide awake) and having a long metal suction instrument shoved around you, I think a colonoscopy is a walk in the park. Thirdly, I generally don’t like being unaware of what people are doing to me. I like to be fully aware, but that’s just me.

I won’t lie, when they turn a corner there is a very sharp stabbing sensation that may take your breath away. Don’t panic though, because my mantra is that you’ll only feel the pain for a very short time, and once the procedure is over, you’re done. Mind over matter. Also, if it’s too much for you they will offer you gas and air.

If you’re unnecessarily worrying I’d advise you to just take the sedation. Like I said earlier, the prep is by far the worst part of a colonoscopy.

Good luck, but you won’t need it because you’ll be absolutely fine.

7. pjstephe

pjstephe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1,2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had about 6 colonoscopy procedures over the years. The 1st one I was awake and watched it on a TV screen. It was painful despite sedation. The rest I was knocked out for and would not have it any other way. Whatever you choose, good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      • Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @Ed209, thank you for asking.

It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be! I really shouldn’t have been Googling beforehand reading horror stories!

I did go for the sedation but it was light. Just like taking some Diazepam.

At one point when the consultant was blowing the air in or going round the bend, the pain did take my breath away and yeah I got a little teary. That part was really painful! But when that passed I could tolerate the rest.

Nothing sinister found. And no polyps. She said the blood I’ve been having on and off over the years was indeed internal piles on and off. EEK. I’ve just been told to treat it as IBC C.

So yeah I’m glad I had it done for peace of mind.

I hope you are well :)

• Like Like x 1
    10. TinaRuns

TinaRuns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / perforation
      Can anyone please share what drink you chose for colonoscopy, which didn't spike tinnitus?

11. Deb Silva

Deb Silva Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I took it last night. Miralax and Colace. I didn't get any increase in my ringing. I hope that helps. Now I'm debating sedation or not. I guess women have more pain due to less room due to more organs.

Uggh my appointment is at 2:30 pm. I told the doctor no sedation... I'll see how it goes.

12. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      The sedation actually relaxed my tinnitus.

13. TinaRuns

TinaRuns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / perforation
      Thank you. I've decided against a colonoscopy for now because I just can't risk a worsening of two conditions I have, one of which is tinnitus.

I just took a very small dose of MiraLAX and I'm still praying the spike it caused three days ago will go away. Of course as time passes, I get more and more nervous. I wish to God I had taken NAC starting a few days ago.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Deb Silva

Deb Silva Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi there. I had my colonoscopy last week without any sedation or pain killers due to possible increase in my tinnitus. It wasn’t as bad as I thought and went by rather quickly, maybe 20 minutes tops.

I’m not going to lie, it hurt, especially at the curves of the colon but mostly pressure in between the curves and was only a minute or so at each curve. They told me ahead of time and held my hand which I squeezed hard and they told me to breathe small breaths like when I gave birth 33 years ago lol.

It sounds scary but when I get my next one in 10 years, I’m doing no sedation again.

Pretty cool looking at the screen seeing my colon.

When it was done, I left immediately after hugging the nurses and doctor. They were so incredibly kind and went to lunch with my family. I was hungry lol. It was worth it.

I look at it this way; 20 minute procedure vs possible permanent increase to my tinnitus for the rest of my life.

There is another option if you are still on the fence. Try Cologuard. It’s not the gold standard but it’s the next best thing. You could ask to do it every year. I’m not sure if it’s covered on your insurance but it’s worth asking.

Best of luck in the decision that’s best for you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Thanks for these experiences! I have a colonoscopy coming in a few months and I'm going to go through with it.

16. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Has anyone's tinnitus spiked from taking docusate sodium (Colace, Dolcolax)? I'm talking about taking it orally, not using it for ear irrigation as it is sometimes used.

I spiked from MiraLAX and also Magnesium oxide, so I thought I'd give Colace a try last night. I woke up with a spike. It could be several other factors overnight, but man, every stomach drug seems to spike me.

17. Dogwhistlehead

Dogwhistlehead Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2013, worse in 2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, acoustic trauma.
      I've had two colonoscopies and a few gastroscopies. The gastroscopies were by far the most uncomfortable ones for me. I did not use any relaxant or painkillers with the colonoscopies and it was fine both times.

I did get some intravenous relaxant during my last gastroscopy, but it did not affect my tinnitus in any way. Afterwards they want you to lie down for 20-30 minutes and you're all good to go.