Anxious! Colonoscopy & Sedation (Midazolam) — Experiences?!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bear0211, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      Hey.

Was just wondering about folk who have had a colonoscopy and how they fared with sedation? Mine's is tomorrow and my anxiety is through the roof. I was told because of my anxiety I’m likely to need sedation. I’ve read it’s likely to be Midazolam.... ?? (and maybe a painkiller too) I’m scared it’ll affect my ears :( I just don’t know if I could do it without sedation. :/

I google... one of them... ha! And read a fair few saying how painful it was. Yet others breezed through it. (I know everyone’s different) Meh. I don’t know.

Just want to know if an injection of Midazolam would likely have a negative affect on my ears? I really couldn’t cope with them worsening.

Thank ya
      Clare

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I'm sure you will be fine,
      I know the bowel cleaner is not so nice but let me know how you get on as I will be having one in a few weeks after tube down throat.
      Good luck and try stay calm and let them do their job looking after you and plan a nice treat after ..
      love glynis x

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. jimH
      No Mood

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

I had my second one last September. I don't know which anesthesia they used. I do remember that I did feel very relaxed and a bit mellow before I lost consciousness. The next thing I remembered was the nurse waking me up in the recovery room. There were no unpleasant side-effects either time. I did not experience any change in my T later that day or the day after.

If this is your first one, the worst part of the entire process is having to drink the prep cocktail numerous times. Once you begin, don't go too far from a bathroom! There's comes a point when it can be like having diarrhea.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

4. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      They have the box now. It's about $1,000.00 but it's about peace of mind. You use a box and send it away.

5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      You’ll be fine. I had a colonoscopy about 3 months ago and I just declined the sedation. It’s no big deal, but it can feel sharp when they turn the corners of your bowel. It’s nothing to worry about though.

By far the worst part is the prep. I hope I never have to do that again.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      Thank you @glynis

I take the bowel cleanser at 7pm tonight then at 6am. I’m not looking forward to it :(
      I’m more concerned about the injection of Midazolam... do you get sedated with this with your endoscopy?x

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You have a choice to be sedated or not.
      love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @jimH
      I take it yours wasn’t conscious sedation then?
      Mines will be.
      I just don’t know if I should try it without it. I think cause my anxiety is so high these days she’d much prefer me to have it :/

Yeah first one and I start the drinks tonight. Meh.
      Thanks for your input :)

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @Ed209

Can I ask why you declined the sedation?
      I do have a high pain threshold I reckon, it’s just I do have bad health anxiety and when I went for the consultation she said yeah you’ll need sedation... meh.

I think I was wrong to google. Too many horror stories... my aunt said hers was more uncomfortable than anything. I guess everyone is different eh

Thanks for replying :)

10. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Many reasons. Firstly, I needed to drive and didn’t want a prolonged stay. I prefer the in and out approach. Secondly, I have a really high pain threshold. Once you have experienced having your chest cut open (whilst your wide awake) and having a long metal suction instrument shoved around you, I think a colonoscopy is a walk in the park. Thirdly, I generally don’t like being unaware of what people are doing to me. I like to be fully aware, but that’s just me.

I won’t lie, when they turn a corner there is a very sharp stabbing sensation that may take your breath away. Don’t panic though, because my mantra is that you’ll only feel the pain for a very short time, and once the procedure is over, you’re done. Mind over matter. Also, if it’s too much for you they will offer you gas and air.

If you’re unnecessarily worrying I’d advise you to just take the sedation. Like I said earlier, the prep is by far the worst part of a colonoscopy.

Good luck, but you won’t need it because you’ll be absolutely fine.

11. Lane

Lane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      Hi @Bear0211,

Sorry to hear how anxious this is making you. The one question I have is: "Do you have high risk factors, and/or is it critical that you do it at this time?" I've looked into the risks or "side effects" of colonoscopies, and discovered about 15,000 die from them every year. And many more sustain serious injuries.

Doctors generally only tout the benefits of procedures, but barely mention and greatly minimize the "side effects". I wish the doctors who prescribed an anti-nausea medication to me had told me it was originally formulated as an anti-psychotic drug--AND--that can actually induce psychosis, cause extreme agitation and delirium, and is very toxic to the ears. I guess they can't be bothered to relay that kind of information.

If you're not sure whether you want to do this, or are not confident you can handle it well, perhaps postpone it for a few weeks and give yourself ample opportunity to consider it more thoroughly. I've actually heard colonoscopies will likely become obsolete in the relatively near future, and newer and lesser invasive procedures are on the horizon. In the mean time, they have their bills to pay.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @Ed209

Wow yes after that it would seem like a walk in the park indeed! Yeesh!

I’m not necessarily afraid of the pain. It’s just how panicky I get. I do have health anxiety. I guess I’m afraid of them finding something too but my GP assures me she thinks I have IBS C....

That’s me just starting the drinks. Yikes! It doesn’t taste that foul but yeah I guess I’ll be on the loo a lot :( :p

Just hope if I do go for the sedation my ears will have no negative effect from it :(

Thanks again

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @Lane

JEZZO! :(
      Die from them!

Sorry if too much info ... but after 4 years of on and off blood in my stool, which was confirmed as internal hemmaroids.. (I can have really bad constipation) and a year of mucus in my stool too, my GP wants me to have one just for my peace of mind... I have all the symptoms of IBS C.... grumbling stomach, constipation, pain ect...
      My sister has also been having some of these symptoms and she’s having a colonoscopy too...
      The consultant actually said this was my choice to have it as she was satisfied the blood was cause by The internal piles at the time...
      I’ve not had any blood in my stool the last couple of months so I take it they have went away for time being...

I was thinking of cancelling but with my anxiety I just want reassurance. I guess if it was anyhing sinister after 4 years of these symptoms I’d be much worse?!

I do hope you are well. Thanks for your input... :)

14. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      You drinking moviprep by any chance? The worst part for me was the sheer quantity you have to drink. After a while I had to force it down past my gag reflex. And then I’d look over and realise I had pretty much another 2 litres to go. I thought it was vile, personally.

15. Lane

Lane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      Hi @Bear0211,

Have you by any chance ever considered that your IBS symptoms and tinnitus could be related? Here's A POST I just made which might be something for you to consider before going forward with your colonoscopy (very invasive procedure if there ever was one). I found the story in that post to be pretty incredible, but like most posts on this forum that talk about complete remission of tinnitus using natural methods, it probably won't get much notice.

Just to mention, I've researched more natural healing methods for several decades now, and am convinced that things like IBS can very often be successfully addressed by simple dietary, relaxation, and therapeutic measures. I won't go into more detail unless you're interested. But I will say that NONE of these measures has the "side effect" of death or permanent impairment. -- Despite all modern medicine can do, I don't think they have much to offer us when it comes to healing most chronic health conditions.

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @Ed209

Yeah and I’m half way through it. The taste isn’t too awful but I agree it’s how much you have to drink. I’m ok just now. A lot of stomach rumbling. Eeek!! Haha

I guess it needs to be done eh.
      Im really fretting about whether to take the sedation, or if I’ll just be far too panicky not having it :(

• Like Like x 1
    17. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      If you’re fretting then I’d just take the sedation.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @Lane

My T is sound damage. Sitting near a huge speaker at a night club :( didn’t help my ears have rang previously after nights out too.

I guess my diet could be a lot better and in turn the IBS.... And I’m a vegetarian aswell. Not the best one I’d say. Far too much pasta pizza and cheese! :p

The colonoscopy does make me very anxious but I want to be assured nothing sinister is going on (not that anyone thinks there is it’s just my anxious head) or if I have Polyps and have them removed.
      My brother had lymphoma years ago, And his Tumour presented itself in his bowel, which they said was very unusual. No one thinks that’s a concern for me as it wasn’t bowel C... I just fret.

Ooh I’ll definitely give it a good read through.

Thank you

19. pjstephe

pjstephe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1,2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had about 6 Colonoscopy procedures over the years.The 1st one I was awake and watched it on a TV screen.Was painful despite sedation.The rest I was knocked out for and would not have it any other way.Whatever you choose good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    20. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      • Like Like x 1
    21. dfw
      Cool

dfw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sports arena
      There is no reason to try and counter indicate her medical advice.
      Colonoscopy saves lives period!!!!!!
      I have seen the result of not doing one, to a loved one.
      Wow—-not to be rude, but why would you be giving her medical advice. Colonoscopy saves lives, period!!!!!!!!!

Do not pay attention to these statistics. There are over 17 million colonoscopy in 2002 in the USA, alone. If in fact her 15,000 was accurate, that would be 8/100ths of 1 percent in other words 1 of every 1.2 million procedures.
      Give me those odds for any life saving procedure and I would take them every day.

I always chose sedation, woke up, everything was great. No issues.
      You will be fine, by the way I choose to do an endoscopy while I’m under just as a check up. Home within 2 hours.
      Best to you.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @Ed209

Thank you for asking.

It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be! I really shouldn’t have been googling beforehand reading horror stories!

I did go for the sedation but It was light. Just like taking some diazepam...

At one point when the consultant was blowing the air in or going round the bend the pain did take my breath away and yeah I got a little teary. That part was really painful!! But when that passed I could tolerate the rest.

Nothing sinister found. And no polyps. I guess the blood I’ve been having on and off over the years was indeed internal piles on and off she said. EEK. Just been told to treat as IBC C.

So yeah I’m glad I had it done for peace of mind.

I hope you are well :)

• Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      Anyone have nightmares after having the sedation Midazolam? It was more like a night terror :( 2 hours sleep :( I feel very agitated today. I googled and so many horror stories about this drug!
      Think my left ear is spiking but I don’t know if that’s through the lack of sleep! Hope I don’t have a repeat of that god awful nightmare. Woke up in a sweat and panic!