Any Luck That This Will Go Away

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by shantelle, May 8, 2015.

1. shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Anyone on here have any improvement or have it completely go away? Ive had this for 2 weeks bow thinking it was improving and than it got loud again. I am really losing hope and depression is starting to set in. Im 32 year old mother of two and was looking for a break..went on a girls trip to vegas and the first night we went to a club..not my scene but i didnt want to be a drag. I would have never put myself in that situation if i knew about tinnitus..not alot of awareness about it. Will this ever go away?

2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Acoustic trauma (and associated tinnitus) requires urgent attention by an ENT within the first 48 hours after onset of symptoms of tinnitus. During this window of opportunity a course of steroids may be of help.

There are also a number of clinical trials (current and upcoming). The most important one, right now, is AM-101.

You can find a complete overview of otology pharmas here:

www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/overview-promising-treatments-for-tinnitus-and-hearing-loss.3982/page-3#post-52953

Tinnitus may improve on its own (even without intervention). Be mindful of noise from now on; protect your ears whenever necessary; use earplugs as required.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I have been using steroid drops for the last 5 days. I felt as it was improving but today was a major setback. I was also taking serc pills that the doc gave as well. The fact that it got better than worse again..does that mean anything or is that a bad sign?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Also i ran out of serc pills today and i seems worse. I went to the doc and got a refill

5. maria188

maria188 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced (club)
      hello shantelle. i also got t from loud noise at a club on new years eve so i have it for 4 months. i want to tell you that i got used of it really quickly so it doesn't bother me anymore, of course i wish it will go. if i knew about t i would never have gone to that club but i didn't want to be a drag too.. hope you get better. wish u the best

• Like Like x 2
    6. DavetheAce
      Breezy

DavetheAce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      showering using local water supply
      Hello Shantelle. I think it would be difficult for anybody on the forum to answer categorically whether the variation is a "bad sign". What we can tell you is that we have all suffered variations in volume resulting in 'bad days'. From that you should take heart that a 'bad day' is not likely to last forever. What you need to consider is, if there was anything different that occurred on the 'bad day' (e.g. stress/activity/food) that may have impacted on your T to make it worse on this occasion. If the prescriptions have improved your T thus far, you should be confident that they will do the same again, if you can discover and avoid whatever may have caused the bad day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Maria so this was a one time club that did this? I read that prolonged exposure..someone that has gone lots. Or i suppose if it was that loud..i was in this vegas club prob for 4 hours and it was extremely loud. My girlfriend leaning over my shoulder yelling in my ear and i still had no idea what she was saying. Its been 2 weeks today and the last two weeks have slipped awayas this has been consuming me. Ive gotten really discouraged as i felt that it was improving only to lave it back full force. I really hope there is a happy ending for us. Even stories in the success stories are people that have gotten use to it..i really wished it would be full of people who it went away. There really isnt a whole lot of awareness about it. If i would of known i would of never put myself in the situation. Im only 32. This isnt fun. I look at my kiddos and try to forget about it and play with them and all i can hear is eeeeeeeee.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I do think i have been stressed. I try to move on and some days are better than others and than it gets quiet and the emotions and the loud eeeeeee sets in.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I have a ton of regent that isnt helping. I went on this girls trip to get away and de-stress only to have my stress level worse than before i left. I had my hearing checked and im within normal limits.. i really hope this goes. Does it fade and eventually go or do some just wake up and its gone?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I wish i was stronger.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. DavetheAce
      Breezy

DavetheAce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      showering using local water supply
      I think that you may be stronger than you think. Why? Because I have been reading a lot about the experiences of others on this forum and for all of us here T was an unexpected challenge. Some don't know the specific cause, everybody would have done things differently had they known the consequences. The common thread with everybody is firstly an attempt to determine if there is a "cure", secondly are there any actions they can take which would make their T reduce and thirdly attempt to discover the cause when their T gets worse. You have discovered one action (the girls trip) which caused your stress levels to increase and presumably your T levels with it. So don't do that any more.
      A lot of people have written about their experiences and experiments on this forum and you can read them to get an idea what things you can try doing or not doing. For example, those who have damaged their ears through loud music, some wear ear plugs to protect their ears. For me, noise is what enables me to disregard the hissing in my ears. So some 'solutions' may not work for you. You can read in "Success Stories" of those whose T did fade and go away. But don't be despondent if yours doesn't. I have had mine for 8 years, many people for a lot longer. Yes I am still looking for a 'cure', but in the meantime I am discovering more and more what helps or what causes my T to be worse so that those spikes can be avoided. On a normal 'good day' my T is not even noticeable, it's not even a minor irritation.
      As a mother of two you have plenty of other things to focus on, which is the key to T not being noticed. All you need to do is determine what factors/foods/actions have a bad effect on your T and adjust your lifestyle accordingly. Your T may or may not go away, but it will no longer be an important part of your life.

12. maria188

maria188 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced (club)
      yes it was like a one time thing. im not a club person and i don't like loud places generally. i was there also for 4 hours and my friends were screaming in my ears to hear them.. you need not to worry about it and you will be fine.. first month for me was bad but after it it got better and better.. i still hear it but brain got used of it and it seems like its a natural thing. hope ut doing better today.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Thanks. I seemed to have a good day until now and its gotten worse again. I hope it settles down again.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Was yours loud eeee and eventually settle down to a hiss or anything? I felt as mine was almost gone and than it came back louder than ever. Im taking meds called serc. That may be keeping the ringing down a bit but i wish they were actually healing.

15. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      Hi @shantelle,

Firstly, I'm so sorry that you're just beginning this journey. This can be so distracting and demoralizing, not to mention panic inducing and paralyzing. However, the good news is, it's not going to stay that way for very long.

Tinnitus is a neurological reaction to a biological phenomenon, and unfortunately, it is not a disease in and of itself. That said, as a symptom, it shares common attributes. Even though Tinnitus has several major causes (the most common cause being auditory damage through noise overexposure), it has a very similar pathology regardless of the cause. The first few weeks are a shock to the body, because the mind has no clue what it is interpreting and it internalizes this phantom sound as a threat -- the so-called "fight-or-flight" response. Regardless of whether or not this sound goes away, for most people, by the third month, the panic starts to fade away and instead, they learn to suppress their body's overreaction to this noise. Before this tranquilizing effect sets in, you're likely to go through a number of panic and stress-related activities:
      • Hyperacousis, for the beginning of Tinnitus, is very common (though not universally experienced). Common, everyday sounds will be painful and distorted and cause you distress. When this happens, use hearing protection and listen to sounds at very low volumes. This will probably go away within a couple of weeks once you start experiencing it.

• Dizziness and paresthesia (tingling sensations) are uncommon, but are factors for people who suffer from panic, anxiety, and severe stress. Drinking plenty of water and getting good sleep (at least 8-9 hours a night) will help alleviate these symptoms.

• Finally, the Tinnitus itself can be debilitating if you focus on it or if it distracts you. Masking is going to be your best friend. Everyone recommends this, but not everyone follows it (especially because many people hope that it will just go away). Trust me when I say that masking does not hurt your chances of healing from Tinnitus, or a spontaneous remission -- it can only help preserve your sanity. If you're having a very hard time sleeping and still find yourself focusing on Tinnitus, consider a very mild anti-anxiety med or sedative at night, using the minimal therapeutic dosage your doctors recommend.
      Finally, the good news is that because it's very early for you, your Tinnitus will improve with time, and it is entirely possible that it can go away on its own. Do not lose hope - instead, protect your hearing now, invest in good over-ear silencing headphones (I don't recommend earplugs, because these have been known to exacerbate the problems for some people) that you wear during the day, and use light masking at night. With plenty of sleep, proper nutrition and exercise, within a few weeks, you will notice improvements and you will find your Tinnitus lessening.

I will keep you in my thoughts and wish you quieter days ahead!

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Thanks so much for the info. What are over-ear silencing headphones? As i do find earplug make it worse. And light masking at night...are you meaning like a fan or white noise?

17. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      Hi @shantelle,

My pleasure - happy to help. Any over-ear "noise canceling"-type headphone will help you with the Hyperacousis and provide you with every day hearing protection. Many people do find earplugs problematic, and there is some isolated research that shows that ear plugs can actually worsen the perception of Tinnitus in the short-to-medium term, so I personally don't recommend it. I do recommend over ear (as opposed to "on ear") headphones that cancel at least 60% of environmental noises. Most over-ear noise-canceling headphones today will block around 75-85% of external sounds, and muffle the rest - it's a good start, and they're not very expensive. You can find a good Audio Technica for around $50 online. However, you may want to shop around and try some and return the ones you don't like. This ends up being a lot less science, and a lot more art -- whatever your preference is, just make sure you chose something comfortable so that you can wear it from time to time throughout the day.

Re: Masking, yes, I recommend some sounds to mask Tinnitus. Simply listen to the sounds loud enough so that you can barely hear your Tinnitus over it. Over time, you'll be able to lower the volume of the masking sound. White noise works well for people, but depending upon the pitch of your Tinnitus and whether there's an accompanying hiss, you might need pink or brown noise instead. Personally, I like nature sounds (rushing rivers and waterfalls were my favorite). Whatever you can use to get you through the night.

Hope this helps!

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shantelle

shantelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Thanks so much. Im definitely interested in the over the ear headphones. Can you post a link or photo so i have a better idea. Thanks again

19. Craggy 65
      Amazed

Craggy 65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      Hi Shantelle,I was in a mess for many weeks at the start,took Diazapam for panic,and sleeping tablets.I'm in the third month,and it's still here,but reaction to it has markably backed off.The noise type and level does change sometimes.If anyone had told me that I would get calmer about it,I would not have believed them,but I have.Today it's higher volume than yesterday,but I know it will retreat again soon.I no longer take pills for the anxiety,and now and again take half a sleeper.But I believe you will calm done naturally.Soon you will experience that change.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Albert Savage

Albert Savage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1972
      Shantelle, you are a mother, you have strength few of us can ever imagine. And you do survive. I have suffered from tinnitus since April of 1972. My T (and hearing loss) was also due to noise exposure but a little bit different from your experience. One night I found myself a little to close to a loud explosion in a very confined space. My T started as loud ringing and then subsided to a general hissing sound that came and went and would cycle from loud to a minor irritating but constant hiss. In 2004, I started wearing hearing aids and one of the benefits of the hearing aids has been that my T has shown a marked reduction in both frequency and intensity.

Good luck.

Albert