Any Musicians on the Board?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Littlebailey, May 7, 2014.

1. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      I've gone on a few musicians' sites, and it seems like all kinds of them have it, and not just rock stars. DJs too. Which of course stands to reason. I know there's a least a couple, but if any else want to give themselves a shout out, feel free!

Musicians need to be a the forefront of T awareness, even though understandably they may want to downplay it sometimes. And they of course represent a huge demographic that stands to gain from any breakthrough drugs/treatments. Hopefully as the push for a cure increasingly crystallizes more and more prominent musicians will step up to the mike and spread the word.

Sadly, my days of music listening - headphones - have come to an end. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Pete Townsend gave me the idea for an "active listening" exercise that does help me. His interview probably helped many others too.

3. Gio Makyo

Gio Makyo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/19/2014
      Got a link for that?

4. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ex-professional musician here. I've been real careful with my ears, but ended up with T nonetheless. I've seen lots of musicians subject their ears to far, far more dB's than I have, and somehow they're alright. My dental history possibly has something to do with it all.

I've pretty much accepted that I'll never be able to play in bands or go to pop concerts again. I just can't risk it. My T developed recently so it's unsure how it will settle. At this point, I'd be very happy if my musical life is limited to quietly playing piano by myself, as long as I can continue my Computing Science studies and travelling without T being a major factor to consider at every step of the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. TiredOfT
      Tired

TiredOfT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still not sure of cause
      Musician here...music was my life, and now I can't even listen to music without hyperacusis discomfort... I can't use headphones anymore, so I can't do studio tech work, which I love. I've lost some of my hearing as well. I play keyboards, bass guitar, drums, sang, and did studio work...now it's all gone...I've never been more discouraged...feels like something that kept me focused and happy has-been ripped from me...sorry to be a bummer, but this is just where I'm at...no sleep, dealing with other health problems, an autistic son who is having a rough time of it right now...I don't know how much more I can take...or cancel taken from me...

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Ross McLauchlan

Ross McLauchlan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      16/04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced due to music production and motorbikes.
      Pretty sure my tinnitus is the result of an ear ache, combined with days of mixing and recording.

I agree that more musicians should use their platform to increase awareness. I quite like the information Eddie Temple Morris puts out there, he's very much raising the profile of tinnitus. I also love his new band, Losers.

I've managed to keep making music using studio monitors turned down low. I do miss headphones though.

7. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I had an act, but now I'm afraid I can't pursue it anymore. I am depressed because that was basically my whole life, creating and performing. Now I can't listen to music anymore without it sounding tinny and I've got residual HA which I hope will go away. Its like now I've got to find more mundane things to do with my life and time. Unfortunately, my time has become stale and boring with no creative outlet.

• Hug Hug x 1