Any Rock Singers Who Use Custom Musician's Ear Plugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lady Rocker, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Lady Rocker

Lady Rocker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Singing in a rock band for 20 years, medications, age, PTSD
      I've had tinnitus for 3 years that is gradually getting worse for a variety of reasons including being in a rock band, aging (groan), and medication including having just started taking an antidepressant.

I just received my custom ear plugs and am wondering how I'll be able to gauge my volume singing harmonies with my band mates. I have a gig on Sunday and I'm a little freaked out.

I kindly ask that only those with direct experience respond. Thanks so much!

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Sorry to break it to you but having earplugs in while singing can actually make noise louder in your ears from the occlusion effect.

3. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Like John said, try to find out if there are earplugs with minimal occlusion effect.

4. Fleegle
      Doubtful

Fleegle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Lady Rocker -- So I do some home recording. I know with cans on it is hard to gauge how you sound and how to pitch to the correct level. You can't hear how you sound so you can't compensate for your own volume. Plugs are going to block your own "head sound" too.
      So you could take a tech approach to this... maybe there is a front of house audio set up that no matter what level YOU are, the audio mixer person could boost you to what you should be compared to the group. Or you could throw in an effects pedal or a small 4/6/8 channel mixer with a visual EQ AFTER your mic and before the desk so that you could see your volume level and you could adjust your voice accordingly. In brief, adjust your volume in the mixing desk without changing your volume, or put something after your mic and before your signal gets to the desk to allow you to visually understand your level. Or both.
      I do the same thing but in a studio: I put cans on which makes it impossible to hear my own voice in the room, and then I gain the vocal until I can hear it through the cans. At the same time I can see how my vocal tracks in the sequencer, but I can also see my level in the EQ.

I hope this helps! Feel free to discuss.
      Keep rockin!

• Like Like x 2
    5. Fleegle
      Doubtful

Fleegle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Or even less tech - at your sound check, have FOH or audience indicate to you to lift your volume.

I hope things go well :)

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lady Rocker

Lady Rocker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Argh! That's what I'm finding out from this site. My audiologist and ENT doc both said that the custom plugs were better than in-ear monitors. Seems to me that the monitor level could be low enough so that I cam hear myself in the vocal mix and still have some db reducing. Thoughts?

7. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      There is a point where tinnitus can be suicide inducing and I feel like maybe, as much as you would hate this, you should retire from live performances and start working in the studio at a healthy pace before you ruin your life.

I am a musician and spent 17-18 years learning music and practicing instruments and recording techniques. I actually have a studio in my basement. I haven't played the drums or electric guitar in over a year. It was my passion. It has been hard for me but I am also a daddy and have to also work and jamming and recording and singing unfortunately have mostly been sacrificed. I still play acoustically but even when I slap my acoustic bass for too long it causes a spike all the next day.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Unfortunately you are going to get lots of negativity here. People telling you to retire etc.

Try not to freak out,you’re overthinking it- so the best advice I can give would be if it’s possible take a good long soundcheck to find something that works for you and to remember it’s generally not super loud on stage. It really is different from band to band and from venue to venue. These days as far as live music goes I haven’t had any issues hearing what my band mates are playing and i play in a death metal band.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lady Rocker

Lady Rocker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I practiced last night with my Westone "Tru" custom ear plugs and there was no occlusion! When they're seated properly in my ear canal, my voice is out in front of me instead of being in my head. I had the 10-15 db filters in and could still everything goes on. Fortunately, I relied on muscle memory for the harmonies and just made sure that I pulled back on the mic when I belted. It's going to take a little getting used but it's going to work. It's not optimal but it's way better than quitting. We're discussing getting in-ear monitors.

10. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Go get some In-Ear monitors so you can have your own personal mix... rock doesn’t have to be in the dark ages...

Just make sure the ones you get have a brick wall limiter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Singing with in-ear monitors WITH occlusion effect made my tinnitus permanently 10x worse after just two days, please be careful

• Like Like x 1