Any Tips on How to Get a Better Sleep...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Geo, Jan 29, 2015.

1. PhilB

PhilB Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @Telis - I think you are correct that severe T of the type which can be heard above almost any level of external sound is a different phenomenon to minor T and present a different magnitude of problem to those who suffer from it. But I think you are wrong to criticise other people who offer well-intentioned advice, just because you don't see their advice as being applicable to your own situation. The advice given by @Neo5500lp may be helpful to someone else. If you don't consider it to be relevant to your own case, then just ignore it. There is no need to insult the guy. It is a support forum and we are supposed to be trying to help each other.

2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      No thanks, I would rather give my opinion, just like you just gave me yours.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Really!!!?? Does this make my T go away.....Really!!!!!!!!!!???? :banghead:
      REALLY???????????????:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

• Funny Funny x 2
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think there's a lot of middle ground between extremes, and most people probably fall in them to some extent. I'd say I have moderate to intense T, with notable but not disabling hearing loss (and history of trauma/infection/scarring). My T is there no matter what, but the basic approach that @Neo5500lp is describing is, basically, what has kept me functional and moderately happy.

I think he's sort of glossing over how difficult all of that stuff can be; as always, the words of my father come to mind, "it's very simple, but very, very difficult". He used that phrase a lot to describe meditative practice, but I think it's pretty applicable to gentle, conscious living in general.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sure, but as part of stating that opinion, you explicitly said that you think another member is full of bullshit, and that they "clearly don't have very severe T".

If I, for instance, told you that based on your posts here I think that you're out to lunch and that your problems aren't nearly as severe as you try to make them out to be... how would that make you feel? Is it likely to help you in any way?

I believe that everyone should feel free to give their opinion about their own situation, but the second they start making assumptions about anyone else's experience, they are crossing a line over which it's not possible to have reasonable, helpful, rational discourse.

6. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I made no assumptions, he stated that his T went away when he relaxed, no T when you chill sounds pretty tame to me, maybe that is catastrophic to you, I don't know.

Anyone that states that you can get rid of your T by relaxing IMO is full of shit or doesn't have bad T. Sorry I don't believe you can make real tinnitus go away and I'm sure 99 percent of the medical community would agree with me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Telis, I didn't address any of that, and I'm not very interested in it.

I think it's toxic to have an environment here where people are routinely told that their problems are insignificant and the solutions they have found are useless.

If people with different and shorter experiences with tinnitus are overly optimistic about their personal solution being globally applicable, I guess I try to forgive them that.

8. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Pussycat T, versus Tiger T. This battle will most likely continue on this forum, forever.

The perception of our T, is indeed very personal. I wouldn't think anyone on this site, could argue that. Our opinions are also very personal, until we share them with others. If we were to censor our opinions and keep them to ourselves, we would become passive drones, in a society, unwilling to be open minded, in expressing how and what we honestly feel.

If this forum is limited to only the positive and not the negative retort, how can we ever learn from one another? At the end of the day, we are all just passing along our experiences, frustrations, successes, opinions, etc. We have the freedom, to either agree, or disagree with each others assessments, which I believe, is a healthy way in which to communicate, enlighten and educate ourselves.

• Winner Winner x 1
    9. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I don't know man...I think read too deep into a lot of this stuff. It's just my opinion, you've called bull shit on me befriend here too, we all do it. It's nothing personal against anyone here.

10. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I take one valium per day .5 mg before bed and listen to cricket and nature sounds and generally sleep 6 hours straight and then cat nap till I get up.. Works for me and have been on this schedule for over a year ....

• Useful Useful x 1
    11. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Do you actually still notice the valium at that dose working after a year? Maybe you'd sleep just as well without it, after you tapered off?

12. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      TuneOut that is a good question and I should try the tapering and get off of it all together. I do not have an addictive personality and never wanted to take more or take it through the day.. I have fallen to sleep without it but seem to wake after a couple hours. Very good question and will give it consideration....

• Like Like x 1