Anybody Have Tinnitus So Bad It Feels Like the Back of Your Neck and Head Are Vibrating?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gin, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Well, my T went away for about 3 months after 10 days of steriods and now it's back with a vengence. The humming is so loud it feels like the back of my head and neck is vibrating. My neck hurts really bad. And now my right ear occasionally makes this popping noise. I called my ENT and he has called in 10 days of steriods, an antibacterial, and water pills. This is the 6 or 7th time I have been on the steriods. And it does work. It clears it up for about 3 months or so, but I feel like we are treating the symptoms and not the problem. He tried to schedule me for the balance and rotary chair to see if it possible was meneires, even though I don't have the violent vertigo, just get a little dizzy and off balance at times. But I got better so we canceled it. I'm just incredibly frustrated to say the least. I just want to know what is going on so I can treat it and get better. I have noticed that maybe 2 times a week my right ear will lose complete hearing for about 3 or 4 seconds with a really loud high (sometimes low pitch tone) after, then my hearing will return. That's usually about a day before the T gets bad. My right eye does twitch during these episodes too. They did testing and know I have hearing loss in my right ear. Just frustrated and sad today.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      have you had an X Ray/MRI/CS of your neck?

3. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      @Gin, I had an episode of losing hearing in my right ear completely for about 10 seconds, followed by a super high pitched whistle, a month before I permanently lost almost all my hearing in that ear. T started a few weeks later and is here to stay. My right cochlear, just went belly up and died.

I had intially been given Prednisone and my hearing came back and my T vanished, however, after a few weeks, it just came back and stayed as it is today. steroids are just a temporary bandaid.

4. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      ''hearing for about 3 or 4 seconds with a really loud high'' - that happens to me regularly, but I don't freak out cause I know it passes. I smell it has sth to do with Eustachian tube closing completely for a reason that I can't identify, but it reopens. I 'd insist on more profound testing of your neck, muscles, joints, everything. That really sounds like the cause of your T is mostly physcial. Swallowing steroids is not neutral to your body either, how many times can one take it ? Anyway, a doc once told me that in order to make it work the body needs at least around 3 weeks , not a few days..Hang on there, I hope you have sb to help you go trough this ...

5. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Hi Gin, I have the same horrible engine noise that feel like a vibration.
      At the moment my whole body is covered in rash and I was prescribed oral steroids but very scared to take them.
      Do you think your noise is louder after taking steroids?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      No. I don't think the steriods make it louder. Generally, with my previous experiences on steriods, I've found about 2 days into the treatment, the noise and vibrations go away and stays away for even up to three months. This time I'm on day 5 (of 10) and the noises and vibrations are still there. On day two I had complete silence but came right the next day. I'm also on diuretics and anti-bacterial. The vibration is so loud my neck hurts and I can feel it all the way done to my toes. I'm in so much pain. I just now broke down. It's miserable. I called my dr back and left a message asking him for some other suggestions. I have 5 more days of medications. Hoping that they finally kick in.
      As far as the loud whistle noise and losing hearing in my right ear temporarily. I don't freak out, I've actually gotten used to it. I can handle that. It's just the roaring/humming/vibrations that are killing me. And no I have no one to talk to about it. No one in my family has these problems so they just say sorry. They don't understand. Look at me like I'm crazy.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gin
      Alienated

Gin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      I had an MRI on my brain/head done, but no not on my neck. And now my out of pocket deductible for going to the dr is sooo insanely high, I'm afraid I'm kinda stuck

8. BadVibrations

BadVibrations Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I get the same type of vibrations in my head as you do. It's horrible. I also get that ear suddenly clogging up and feels like air shooting across my head and out my other ear with a big whistle. It comes out of nowhere and makes me nuts. I had a good week of no tinnitus and now the past 2 days it's back with a vengence. I actually thought it was gone forever maybe. HA! I have both pulsitile and the vibration, humming, chirping sounds. I also get dizzy from it and off balance, makes driving almost impossible. I'm so sick of it and just praying it disappears the same way it came. I believe mine is from my Invisalign treatment and I am going to ask my dentist to check and see if my jaw is out of alignment. I'm not sure of this is the cause of all of it, but it might be some. I won't take any medication. I have Xanax for my anxiety and panic disorder, and I take that when I start to freak out especially if I am out and about trying to function and feel off balance and my head is vibrating. It helps.

Also, no one in my family understands or has it, so I have no one to talk to about it, just like with my Fibromyalgia. No one even thinks it's real. It's not fun being insulted with people telling me it's all in my head, basically. Yes, it sure is. The sounds!! So I just suffer in silence. I actually had the last dr. I go to not even know what Tinnitus was. I told her I have it and she said, what's that? I had to explain to her. Unbelievable.

9. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      it seems you have chronic inflammation.

You should follow an anti-inflammatory diet