Anyone Else Avoid Antibiotics Because of Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mick1987, Mar 24, 2014.

1. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys, anyone else avoid antibiotics/medications in general because of tinnitus? I haven't even taken a single painkiller for a headache in the past 19 months!

In the past few days I've had a gum abscess, its not painful and I hope it goes away on its own, but I read that its common procedure to prescribe antibiotics....NO WAY am I taking antibiotics, just a gamble I can't take!

Hopefully it goes away without any need for prescriptions, antibiotics, all that ototoxic drug shit! Lol.

2. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I took percocets for a cyst i had few monthes ago.. Didnt change my T just nooo pain. I take ibprophen too for headaches just not in big doses.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I once was prescribled a cream for a patch of eczema over a year ago, it had a steriod in it, a few days of using the cream my tinnitus spiked severely, my tinnitus went from mild to moderate/severe! Washed the cream away and my T went back down a few days later. From then on I avoided medications, scared the hell out of me! I'm very weary of medicines now.

4. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

Mick
      I thought part of the reason I contracted T was because of a six month antibiotic (terbinafin for a toe fungal -- eeew!); as it turns out that particular antibiotic is low on the list for causing T.

I also to Ibuprofen on a regular basis up until about six weeks ago (not realizing it can also cause T).

I'm not convinced either one had that much to do with my T; however, I am increasing convinced my T has its origin in my upper cervical area (osteoarthritis).

I wouldn't want to jump to a conclusion that my experience is a one-for-one translation to your situation; but I think you have to take an awful lot of Ibuprofen and I think you simply have to do some research about particular antibiotics. You've got to address that infection somehow.

Mark

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks for your reply mark, I am highly fearful of antibiotics, read a few horror stories of T getting super loud. Same time I have read some people having no effects from some types of antibiotics (not sure which though)

I don't want to rush into taking antibiotics, I'm going to wait a few weeks to see if it goes away on its own, if not than I will go from there.

6. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I've been on amoxcillin (and a combo of amoxcillin/clavulanic acid) a few times now and it's had no effect on my T, if that means anything.

I will probably try my best to stay away from the -mycin family of antibiotics though.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      In general it's wise to avoid antibiotics. They can mess up your gut bacteria for months and that can have several negative effets including mood changes, depression etc let alone stomach and bowl problems. If you absolutelly have to take them, try to select one that's not high on the otoxicty list.

• Like Like x 1
    8. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I take a Tylenol occasionally when I have a headache or muscle pain. It doesn't affect my T. But I think my T is caused by TMJ or cervical issues.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yonkapin, good to read your T never got worse with amoxcillin, seems to be quite a safe antibiotic, I will remember that type just in case i really need antibiotics in the future.

Soundwave, I agree, I will do anything not to go on antibiotics, so scared to take them! Might try a natural alternative such as raw garlic, read that it has anti bacterial, viral, fungal properties, should be safer to take.

Debs, thanks for help, I don't know if it matters or not if your T was noise, stress, TMJ induced? Just need to find a type that isnt ototoxic.

10. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I took some amoxicillin for dental work several times. Nothing happened to my T. As with any medication, the less the better.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Warning do not read if you have a weak stomach!

So the tooth abscess is on the top gum, it's completely flat, but it is has yellow pus, I've tried to get an appointment with a dentist sooner than the 9th of April but no luck! I have been reading into it and apparently antibiotics alone won't cure the abscess, only prevent the infection spreading. The dentist has to drain the abscess to cure it, depending on how long it takes to treat, I might need root canal or have the tooth removed, if left untreated for weeks.

Question?...I'm thinking of using a sterile needle to drain the infection...would this be safe? Like I said I don't want to wait for it to get worse until I'm seen and have to have intrusive dental surgery.

Any advice would be great...

12. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      • Like Like x 2
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks golly I'll have a good read through.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I notice even lidocaine what the dentists use as a local anaesthetic is on the list of being ototoxic, nightmare!

15. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Yes, as a matter of, I have to get my wisdom teeth taken out next week and I am thinking of not taking the antibiotics. I would rather take the risk of an infection. Because I'm allergic to penicillin so I have no choice but to take the mycin family of antibiotics, which are documented to cause hearing loss or tinnitus. Sucks to be me, I guess.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi matt, I think if you do have to go on antibiotics you should tell the doctor about your tinnitus, ototoxicity fears, ask if there are any alternative antibiotics that aren't on the ototoxic list. That's what I'm going to do because this tooth infection isn't going anywhere.

17. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Ive taken amoxicillyn, Ive taken a possibly ototoxic med for years, also ive been under local and general naesthesia ja pain killers. no changes or effect on T. If a med is ototoxic then 1) doesnt have that kind of effect on everyone, only around 1% of the users, 2) is dangerous taken in big doses and long periods. If you havent had an ototoxic effect before, those meds probably wont create it for you.
      You can lose your jaw due to an abscess so dont mess around.

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks Stina, the abscess is on my top gum, its completely flat, its even started to blister because I keep applying garlic to it,for 5 minutes at a time, plus eating a few cloves a day because its said to be a natural antibiotic. Over on the earth clinic website there are over 70 testimonials for the effectiveness of garlic on abscesses because of its antibacterial effects, I'm going to wait a few more days and see what happens, then I will go to the doctors and ask for antibiotics while I wait for my dental appointment on the 9th of April. Antibiotics are really a last resort for me.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      tell him about your problem:) I suppose the earlier you take the antibiotic the smaller dose you need. Not all antibiotics are toxic - amoxicyllin for example is one which is not:)

• Like Like x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I actually just tried to get a doctors appointment to get some antibiotics but was told to phone the dentists for a prescription while I wait for the dentist appointment, then phoned the dentists asking if I could get a prescription, was told it wasn't possible because I hadn't been there in years it takes a few weeks to register again!

I don't think I have an option anyway but wait! Lol. But thanks for the amoxicillin suggestion, I will ask for that when I'm finally seen. :)

• Like Like x 1
    21. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Need to weigh up pros and cons..

And know which drugs are ototoxic..

I believe my t was due to cipro and clindamicin..

So taking antibiotics was a nerviunernervous time..

I have taken cephalexin without a change in my t and h. If you need it...you need it...☺

22. Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

I have taken antibiotics, ibuprofen, diclofenac, paracetamol etc.. all with 0 effect on T.

23. Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      You're lucky, question does your diet effect you T? Do you stay away from sugars, caffeine etc..?

24. Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Deb, how long did you take clindamicin for? I took it for some dental work (it was a shot that goes into the muscle on the bum) never taken it in my life and this was mid november 2014 or so...I'd be surprised if in those few days it can cause T later on in Feb 2015 :/

25. Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      @mick1987 YES I DO. I stay away and I carry a hand sanitizer everywhere. I'm afraid of getting sick now. (sigh) my life has done a complete 180 I just feel so sad.

26. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I think instead of avoiding antibiotics it is possible to discuss the problem with the doctor. If the doctor is not aware whether an antibiotic causes tinnitus you can read the information sheet (I think they are available online, at least in Estonian we have them) and then act accordingly. And even if it is listed on the side-effects it doesn't mean you will get it. The antidepressant Valdoxan I have been taking for around 9-10 months has "ringing in the ears" listed among side-effects and I haven't had any loudening in that time. So....its all really individual. Of course there is no point in taking ABs with a sour throat but in case of a virus it makes sense to take the.
      And btw nowadays there are also special flu medicines and flu vaccines so thats an option too.

27. Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

Don't know, I don't really pay much attention to it, even if it is quite loud sometimes. But even if it did I won't let it dictate what I eat & drink :p

• Like Like x 1
    28. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I avoid antibiotics because they are generally overprescribed, and using them even a few times can damage your stomach ecosystem for years or permanently. Given that it's increasingly been demonstrated that gut flora can have significant effects on neurology, I think it behooves me to be pretty careful with A/Bs.

I haven't actually taken any A/Bs in about 3 years now. When I'm given a script for them, unless I am deathly ill, I wait an extra 3-4 days to see if I'm feeling better before I start taking them. I have a small shelf full of unused A/Bs, which will hopefully come in handy when civilization falls apart.

29. Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      @linearb What do you mean by A/Bs ?

30. Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Rebel huh? This has scared me so bad I have lost a sig amount of weight. :/ But I'm slowly eating once again, though I am consuming way to much water and to much of anything can be unhealthy I guess.