Anyone Else Here with Hissing Noise?

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, Nov 26, 2014.

1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      This is a new one for me and it's driving me crazy, it's like my whole head is sizzling.
      I have major trouble concentrating, sleeping, watching TV.....
      Don't know what to do?
      Would like to hear how others cope?

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Mine is a hiss around 9800 kHz. Yes, it felt like my head was in a frying pan at first. All I can say is I did get better with it, but it still isn't pleasant.

I just try and stay busy, best I can do.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Codaz

Codaz Member

@OddV
      What kind of ear infection was that? Ear canal (otitis externa) or Otitis Media?

4. Yes one of my tones, my H tone as I call it since it really jumps up when my H does, is a hiss. To me it sounds like air leaving a tire..however when my nerve pain acts up I also get an electric sound along with it, like.a sizzle or even high pitched screeching. .

How I deal with it..I try to ignore it, I put a fan on low, and when it's super bad like night time, I take my pills and go to sleep.

I can NOT be in silence when the electric hissing starts, so H or no H, the fan must go on... (which can also aggravate my H)

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      @Codaz Otitis Media... Woke up one morning with the hissing, been with me since. You?

6. Codaz

Codaz Member

Otitis Externa, from swimming. But also TMJ / Neck (C2 C3) problems from stress. I think I started jaw clenching after the tinnitus started, but who knows. ATM the neck pain is awful. The last fleeting I had was in september. So October and November went pretty well, but this last week has been horror again because my jaw acted up. Some days I thought that I finally got rit of this pesky shit, but I did not.

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. @Codaz good point regarding the neck. I think alot of my T stems from there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Codaz

Codaz Member

If I do the Slow Neck Stretches @luckyman316 sugested from this page my T does lower a lot, but neck pain increased badly. Oh well, I can continue my thesis writing. T noise an hour ago was killing me. I guess the neck muscles are shortened a lot from stress / computer hobby. Definately something I'm going to discuss with my physio coming friday.

o-YOGA-NECK-570.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/07/yoga-desk-job_n_3707818.html

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    9. Katkin

Katkin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2013
      I have noticed that when I hear the sharp electrical hiss I also seemed to have an element of hyperacusis (happens around every four days). It's strange, but hopeful how sometimes T seems to quieten down, just need to learn how to permanently quieten it.

10. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      I have the hissing to but not all the time. Dont know why it comes and goes. I have it only on the left side. But when i am having the hissing its harder to deal with it. When i dont have the hisssing a hear a sssssss sound and somethimes nothing. But i am affraid that it become worse one day and have the hissing all the time. Anybody notice this patern?

11. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      I have hissing. Your mind should eventually see it as background noise. Thats what is going on with me. But, it has taken a year for that to start to happen. But I know, it is horrible. I am lucky as far as sleeping because I have never been a light sleeper. Watching TV with the hiss is like having a fan or something running while watching it. But that is kind of how you have think of it, like back ground noise. Also, I always would have the closed caption on before I had T, and I still keep it on which I find oddly helps because I also concentrate on the words as well as the TV sound, which deflects thinking of the hiss.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      @beemovie i have it now almost 8 months and you are saying in time you can deal with it? Somethimes it feels like electrisity is shooting trough my head.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      @sandra72

My T has always been a bit of a hiss. I notice that I to also get that "electricity" sound sometimes, but it usually kicks up when my TMJ is bothering me or I have stiffness in my shoulders

14. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      @valeri

Mine changed from pure tone to hiss after prednisone a month ago.

Now it's the tone and the hiss.
      It's not uncommon for the sound to change from time to time.

I try and think of it as a shower in the background.

• Like Like x 3
    15. James7

James7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes, I have a hiss in both ears as well as a tone in both ears. Larry has a good idea, think of it as a shower, or a waterfall, a nice relaxing waterfall.

I find also that the hiss helps distract me from the tone. As it's kind of hard for my attention to focus on both noises at once.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      For 40 years my right ear has hissed and my left one has whistled. When I get around loud sounds, the next day and for weeks and months afterward, the hiss changes to a whistle, and the whistling ear changes to a scream.
      On this forum I learned to NOT gauge or measure my T.
      Instead, I measure my response. So, at all cost, I do NOT gauge, compare, describe, or react to the T. I started measuring my responses only. And in a few weeks the T drifted away.
      You see, after a while it gets boring measuring your response. And by not measuring the T, you're training yourself to ignore it I guess. I don't know exactly how this works but it works.
      I've tried lots of ways of dealing with T in 40 years, as you can imagine. But this has me feeling normal, and stressless again. And the T is gone, unless I'm talking about it. Like now. hehe

• Like Like x 7
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @I who love music

Can you please explain the above process?
      Is this about positive self talk?

• Like Like x 1
    18. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      I'll be honest I never really thought of that before. While I am hoping that mine does't get to the level of a scream (You are one tough man my friend). That is a very good point. Instead of trying to gauge it. As you said...just measure your response and if you catch yourself measuring it just say:

"Nope, I'm not going to measure my T"....or something like that. Haha I guess you sort of described it better up top.

I myself have been better with trying to not do that myself. I guess the only time I "gauge it" or sort of monitor it is when I'm trying to sleep. I can usually not do it during the day, because I try and stay busy or have something that catches my attention.

Do you do the same thing when you sleep?

Or just sort of go...welll theres my T? Oh well! ...ZZZZZzzzzzz :p

19. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Before I started doing this technique, bedtime was awful. And I'd get up in the morning and 2 seconds later after awakening, the T came rushing in and I'd get out of bed all panicky feeling. Not anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Clive W Cottrell

Clive W Cottrell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Yes, my T is a dreadful irritating hiss. It is only in my right ear and was triggerd by junior school children on my bus! But i do have some days when my ear is normal with no sound what so ever, strange. If i am lucky i will get as much as two days of normality and i forget about T altogether. Pure joy! But that said I know it will always be back. It has followed this pattern for the last four and half years. H as well, just another problem to deal with. Will life ever be the same again? ( It's an audible ball and chain)

21. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Yeah I have a hissing as well. Then goes and my other sound comes back. Hissing is worse with a cold and sore throat.

22. Clive W Cottrell

Clive W Cottrell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      I'm trying to stay optimistic but as time goes on I just become more and more depressed. The thought of having this appalling affliction for ever and a day is enough to make you want to through in the towel!!!!!...

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Clive
      I'm a cyclic too (2 days off, 1 day on); I have no idea what turns it on/off (weird).

Mark

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I might try this as well. A mind re-frame. Think of it as a lovely shower. God knows what else to do. I can relate to the previous comment of wanting to throw in the towel, when u think u must live with the hissing forever. Hit the year mark and no reduction. I'm lucky if i get one low T day at this point. T in both ears around 8KHz.

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. Andrew

Andrew Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication or infection (I Reckon)
      Yeah I've got the hissing sound too..........

I've got three sounds: hissing, the "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" that sound like electical distortion and if it's very quiet I hear a "whoomp, whoomp, whoomp" sound all at the same time.

26. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Strange how we all think to the coping skills we set ourselves ,the different practices we put in place ,to get us through the days ,depending to that particular day were in .Some good ideas I'd not thought to put into play .
      When I get a relative day I think toss this lot ,and just ignore the perisher. Then another it's I could murder it,today is such a day ,non stopped today high ,not given an inch ,but I've had fair few days like this lately Why anyone's guess ? Pressure cooker noise all over head .Hate it .Roll on bedtime again .least I sleep bonus for me ,tried nodding in chair earlier ,that can drop it. But not this day .Michael any tips of yours welcomed .

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Compared to the high-pitched scream that was mine at the beginning (and about 4 months in), I'm glad mine is a hiss

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Mark that depends on the high pitch hiss we get ,there's hiss then there's HISSSSSSSSS that's high .Drives ones Bonkers ,ask Valeri Mark ,about hers .X. Right Old To Do as we say here .

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      My ent told me i have a dip at 4khz but the sound seems mutch higher than 4khz.

30. Codaz

Codaz Member

Can you make the T higher when you press your neck, turn your head into the furthest position possible (right / left) ?
      Turn your head sideways? Let a chiropractor / physiotherapist look at your vertebra's. I'n now 7 months into physiotherapie. Improvement is 40-85%. Takes a very very long time to work on muscles.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1