Anyone Else's Tinnitus Gets Louder at Night?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sarah200, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Hi all,

I never asked before but it's something I have always wondered about and wondered if anyone else gets this or knows what's going on.

My baseline tinnitus always seems or appears louder at night. I know it's not louder, it just appears louder at night. I don't know if it's the pressure changes at night or what's causing it, I just wanted to ask if anyone else's tinnitus seems louder at night?

Sometimes but not all the time I also feel this vibration when watching TV as well as it seeming like it's louder. Plus I always have a clicking noise when I swallow.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      At night, environmental noise is almost nonexistent. Everything is quieter, especially in our "sleeping environments". That's why you notice your T more: it just stands out more.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      That makes sense @GregCA, so everything goes quieter, that's why even the TV seems louder at night as I'm always turning it down at night.

Any idea what the vibration I feel could be? Sometimes I feel the vibrations from people's voices whether that's from being on my phone, watching TV etc, it's not uncomfortable, I just feel the vibrations?

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Sarah200

Your tinnitus seems louder at night because your surroundings are more quiet than during the day. This allows the brain to focus more on the tinnitus. For this reason, it is important to use sound enrichment. Not to mask the tinnitus but to help the brain not to focus so much on it. With time this will not bother you so much. It is all part of the habituation process.

The vibration you are experiencing could be due to other things within the: Ear, Nose and throat that your ENT doctor mentioned and probably is not related to the tinnitus. The Ear, Nose and Throat are all connected. If there is a problem with one of these organs it can affect the others. A typical example of this is when someone has ETD. You may have something akin to this for often, vibration of the type you describe is experienced when someone has ETD

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    5. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Yes as @GregCA wrote our night time environment is much more quiet. I always turn off my computer and cell phone at 8:00 pm. Usually try to dim the lights also. The more I relax my brain it seems less stressful when trying to sleep.

6. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      For me no, I find my T less intrusive in silence. messed up I know

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks @Michael Leigh

I also get clicking when I swallow which I think is also to do with my congestion. I'm always congested but the meds the ENT gave did not work so he thinks my congestion is chronic and I have to try and live with it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Oh not messed up at all @PDodge. I find it interesting your tinnitus is less intrusive in silence.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Sarah200

I agree with what your ENT doctor says. In addition to your tinnitus, I believe you are experiencing problems with your Nose and Throat. In this instance you need the professional help of your ENT doctor.

I hope in time things improve for you.
      All the best

Michael

• Like Like x 2