Anyone Have Experience of DWP Help in the United Kingdom?

Discussion in 'Support' started by meeb, Jan 1, 2017.

1. meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud clubs initially, now louder due to noise & vibrations.
      Hi, I have had tinnitus for a long time now and it has gotten gradually worse but I always got used to it and it for the most part it never interfered with my life at all but now it has gotten very bad in a short period of time, it is so loud now and I am getting on top of this, high hissing tinnitus which I can hear over almost everything (this comes and goes daily now, it used to come and go once every 6 months).

I work where it isn't very quiet, I also have the added anxiety of coping with tinnitus and having to get out of bed (depression?) I wish I could just stay in bed all day until it subsides which from experience, weeks of rest has worked.

I live in the United Kingdom and am thinking of applying for disability, well to be honest, it is my only choice according to the people in the jobcentre who told me I would be unfit for work so I can't apply for JSA, he said it would probably be ESA and you would have to get a certificate from the doctor, if I do this I Am sure that the chances of me getting ESA is very slim and my guess is that they would put me on JSA in the end, am I right? or do I have to take a risk and see for myself?

I am struggling so badly now and I am not a lazy person I wish I could feel happy about waking up let alone waking up and going to work. My employer said they would write a letter to the doctor to tell the doctor how bad I am with this.

2. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I don't think t is listed as a disability. Can't you get a job in a quieter environment?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud clubs initially, now louder due to noise & vibrations.
      I am aware that it is definitely recognised by the DWP as a disability but I am also aware of how they treat people.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Sorry to say Sam you are wrong about ESA believe me but I can't say too much in a public forum. I will PM Meeb with all that he needs to know.
      Michael

5. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      No problem Michael and thank you for correcting me.

6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      A person has to fit certain criteria Sam in order to get ESA. I don't want to divulge this information in the forum as it can be misused. The DHSS are sympathetic and understanding to people that genuinely have severe tinnitus. Please don't listen to people that have no understanding about our benefit system.
      Michael

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I got turned down for it recently despite having 3 medical problems /disabilities.....happy reply if need more info by PM....
      At London till tomorrow teatime but pop on when I can till then...lots of love glynis