Anyone Have Experience with Stapedectomy?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tara721, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Tara721
      Depressed

Tara721 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I have otosclerosis and am scheduled for a stapedectomy within the next few months. Wondering if anyone else with this condition has had a stapedectomy and can tell me what their post-op experience was like, and how it effected their T, if it was effected at all.

2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Members @Alex Senkowski and @aura have otosclerosis.

I am unsure if they have been through surgery, however. My guess is no...

3. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I've had surgery in my right ear. Initially it was successful and my hearing in that ear improved drastically over the next few months. Then some kind of complication arose in October of last year and my hearing declined back to being only slightly better than it was before the surgery. I still don't know what happened and neither does the ENT who performed the surgery. Either scar tissue grew over the plastic prosthesis in my ear or it simply came loose. He has advised against corrective surgery and now I'm stuck with impeded hearing and tinnitus. For those of you who are considering stapedectomy, know that the odds of it being successful are excellent. But be aware that complications can arise in the long term. My luck was bad, yours may be better.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tara721
      Depressed

Tara721 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Before the stapedectomy did you have tinnitus? I'm just curious if this procedure will make my tinnitus worse or make it seem less noticable since my hearing will be better (hopefully)