Anyone Have Their Tinnitus Disappear for a Second?

Discussion in 'Support' started by CricketEars, Sep 19, 2017.

1. CricketEars

CricketEars Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2003
      Does anyone else have moments where your tinnitus just goes completely silent for a second and then resumes? I'm not talking about it being masked or ignored, just GONE for half a second or so.

Lately this has been happening to me once or twice every couple of days. I almost feel like I've lost my hearing for a second when it goes silent because I'm so used to the ringing sound being there, but I know that's not the case, it's just the tinnitus that goes away.

Not sure what it is and can't figure out anything that triggers it.

2. Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      I had my tinnitus gone for 1~2 days sometimes in the last 3 months during the period I had tinnitus.

3. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Yes! It does not last longer than a second, but I always think that I've lost my hearing too. I'm not sure what is happening. It did that often after I received intratympanic steroid injections, then I went a couple months where it did not happen.

4. Screamin Ears
      Crappy

Screamin Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes i get that too and i know that i do lose hearing in the ear when it happens because if i'm wearing a masker when it happens i can't hear the masker.
      Usualy when it happens it is a sharp pulse sensation followed by momentary loss of T and hearing followed by even louder T for 10 to 30 seconds before going back to what it was.

5. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      I was on prednizone for 4 days and after the first day I had complete silence and then it slowly came back to its usual irritating level.

6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have variable tinnitus that can be: completely silent for up to two days. It can then change to mild, moderate or severe, but there is no definite pattern. It no longer reaches extreme severe levels that would last for many days with little variation.

Michael

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Yep...fairly new ( just over a year ) to T and its evil friend H.
      Mine can be so quiet I think its gone for 2/3 days and the it comes back all guns blazing.
      It can come back for an hour, a day or Six days. Its random and not related to anything I can pinpoint.
      I also find it can vary throughout the day...for example yesterday it was silent until about mid afternoon when it came storming into my consciousness...by Six o'clock every sound (when I was cooking diner ) was intensely irritating and loud and H and T were just loving it.
      I think you have to enjoy the quiet moments and take it as a blessing or a sign...of what I have no idea.
      The fact that i can be quiet makes me think this is more related to the brain than we will ever know. If it was simple just damage alone to the mechanical parts of the hearing mechanism alone it surely would be constant ?
      When its bad try and keep busy, with some quiet background noise that does not irritate it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Where is your other Avatar @Kelvin I got quite used to that? It had a rather dark and mysterious look about it.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This has started happening to me over the last couple years, but very infrequently, and usually late at night.

Pretty weird though, since I didn't have any of these moments of silence for the first ~15 years.

10. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      I'm back, dark and mysterious...No headphones:eek:

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Much better @Kelvin. It has a dark don't mess with me look because I'm bad...lol

12. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Nope. It's been stuck in high gear every since it started. No break.

13. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      No, but I keep hoping.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CricketEars

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2003
      Thanks for the replies! It’s interesting to hear a couple people have had similar experiences and others totally different ones. T is such a strange animal!

I had I’ve had T for 14 years, but it was hardly noticeable until 4 years ago when it became insanely loud. Now it fluctuates from being sort of loud to very loud, but this is the first time I’ve had these brief moments of silence. Maybe they will show up for others at some point

15. ofaisalo
      Balanced

ofaisalo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I experienced completely silence for few seconds
      but didn't happen for my T only
      because Usually I don't listen to my T and try to get distracted by any activity

16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Would you say that you had protected your ears from loud noises during the first 10 years after the onset of your T? Do you know what might have possibly caused your T getting louder after 10 years?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CricketEars

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2003
      I was very careful. But 4 years ago I got an ear infection and that resulted in some hearing loss and the T got way louder. I’ve had noticble ear problems off and on (fullness, vertigo, diplacusis, itching, pain, popping, fluid) ever since

• Informative Informative x 1
    18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      :(

Thank you for the information. I don't know anything about ear infections, but I guess if I want to lower the probability of my T getting louder, I ought to start learning about them. Is there anything one could do to reduce one's chance of getting an ear infection?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CricketEars

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2003
      There's people in these forums that would be much more knowledgeable than me. But I believe treating it as soon as possible is best. Prednisone is supposed to be very helpful and a first line of defense in treating sudden deafness.

The doctors didn't seem to know much and said it should resolve. When it didn't and I got vertigo, I went to an ENT who helped with the vertigo, but basically told me to live with the T. I asked questions and she kind of shot them down. I have had jaw issues since getting my wisdom teeth out a couple months prior and wanted to know if that could have contributed and her answer was "It's possible, but I doubt it." She acted like since I had slight T before I should just be used to it and it was no big deal. I even asked about hearing aids, but she said they wouldn't help and that my hearing loss was only slight in the high frequencies, but I could hear before all this and now I suddenly couldn't . A little sympathy would have been nice, but it seemed like there's such an unknown with this kind of thing that they didn't want to say anything. That's when I found these forums thankfully!

• Like Like x 1
    20. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      My ear pressure will shift and suddenly for a short window (some seconds) silence. I don't lose hearing as someone was talking when it happened. It's happened on and off. At night my ear literarily pops and for a second silence.

Gives me hope that if my TMJ stays happy and the muscles loosen my ears will figure out how to equalize and I'll either get silence back or the quieter T I once had.

21. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      This has been happening to me lately. I keep feeling the “normal” T (which has been 24/7 for about 3 years, non-stop) drop out suddenly, and I expect a “Fleeting T” to come on, but it doesn’t. It is VERY odd. Oftentimes when it happens I don’t realize just how loud my T is until it’s gone for that second.

22. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      What you are describing is known colloquially as "Fleeting T", and I have had that as well, but this is not that.

23. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Despite what my avatar might imply, I got T from an ear-infection as well. I may (did) have done some damage in my youth with loud music, but the straw that broke the camels back was an infection for me, not an acoustic trauma.

Bill, if you're still looking for advice on how to avoid ear infections, I can give you some.

1. If use any reusable ear plugs, was them thoroughly with soap and water and let them dry completely before inserting them.

2. Don't stick your fingers in your ears (SUPER difficult for us T sufferers).

3. When you get a cold, immediately start taking something like Allegra-D to help keep your sinuses clear. A lot of ear infections occur because your nasal passages get backed up and the fluid makes its way back up to your eustachian tubes.

4. When sick, steam inhalation, even if it's just in a hot shower, does wonders.

5. Chew gum to help keep tubes open as well.

In my experience, ear infections in adults is relatively rare and even when it DOES happen, it usually doesn't result in someone being left with permanent T. But it DOES happen, and those people are overrepresented on this board compared to the general population of course.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you!

I copied your advice, so now it will be easy for me to find it in the future. I am especially thankful for the information in items #3-5, and especially #3.

25. illegalmonkey77
      Fine

illegalmonkey77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely due to fluid in ears, and then it just stuck around.
      I actually stopped chewing gum cause it seemed to make my ears feel full, maybe from making my jaw feel a bit tight? I dunno, but I don't do it anymore.

26. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Mine goes away for a day at a time, sometimes a day and a half, and it happens on a regular basis now. It was incredibly severe for the first 6 to 8 months, an almost constant 9 on a scale of 1 to 10. Then it began to cycle, and I started having mostly 7 of 10 and 8 of 10 days, with milder days here and there, and even occasional episodes of an hour or so of quiet.

What helped me was the Acoustic Coordinated Reset Modulation therapy discussed on this forum, plus intermittent fasting like the 5:2 diet. The T definitely improved when I slashed carbs from my diet, but I can't resist carbs and so gave up on reducing carbs after a couple weeks.

I also do my best to follow the Back to Silence method, but it's really hard not to describe the tinnitus to myself or compare it from one day to the next. Hopefully someday I'll be able to do that, but I've got a little bit of OCD, and it's easy to get obsessive about tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    27. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Mine dissapears when i pee. And for a short time after a shower.

28. three4rd
      Thinking

three4rd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably long-term sound exposure and hearing loss
      Yes...and it was WONDERFUL. Lasted about a few minutes. Knew it was too good to be true.

29. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      So glad to hear you’re doing better, Cheza!

30. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Yes mine do it if I driving down a hill or move my head. Also went away 2 time almost all day . But when I go to bed it come right back. Strange z I