Anyone Looking at Investing Aspects of Tinnitus Companies?

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Zimichael, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Not sure where this post belongs really, but I guess it could fall under "financial support" so at least I have one foot in the correct Forum locational door!

In short, my question is based on the fact that if anyone out there knows which "Tinnitus cure" companies are going to have the biggest impact in the future, it is us, right here. We are the tip of the spear when it comes to slicing and dicing the realities of effectiveness.
      Also, many of us (most of us???) are suffering, or have suffered, from this "beast" and I see no reason why we should not have an opportunity to partake in some of the huge financial gain that will follow any major "cure" in the future. After all, we are the fodder for that future cash cow. I sincerely doubt that the companies involved in the research are going to give away 'whatever-it-is' that works, out of their charitable hearts to the teeming T millions.

With that in mind, and "some gain for our pain", I have been snooping around the potential investment options in this field. Now in NO WAY am I into the big leagues here. I am talking small potatoes $$$ (not "Angel Investor" status), but do know that bio-tech start-ups can explode (or crash and burn) fast...Really fast! If something is super good, it is worth being in on board before it goes orbital.

Currently, it seems like most to the players are "private" (like Knopp Biosciences that @111 posted about today). However, Auris is "public" with ticker EARS, and Otonomy is with ticker OTIC. Have not found any others yet, and have not looked at all in the "sound generator" field (Like TinAway's somewhat shaky 'donation' deal, etc.).

Hence I am wondering if anyone else is watching this area in the Tinnitus spectrum? If so maybe we can share ideas, info., cautions and experience. In private messages if so desired.

Best, Zimichael

• Useful Useful x 1
    2. 111

111 Member

You can invest in Autifony in a round about way, they are part the below listed company and they trade shares. It might be a good time to buy, they are down as of Friday. I suppose the only risk is you are also investing with other companies as well within Imperial innovations.
      If you have a look at the share price it actually went up when phase 2 testing was announced ( in June ), so Autifony can have a bearing on the share price, so I am sure if the next phase shows good results then another jump should occur.

link to the companies share price last 6 months http://www.imperialinnovations.co.uk/investor-relations/share-price/

link to the main site showing other invested companies as well
      http://www.imperialinnovations.co.uk/ventures/portfolio/

At 440 a share at present it might be worth a dabble on the market, seeing as the phase 2 testing is only 4 weeks in length it should only mean a wait of a few months to see the investment go up, upon good results

3. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I had looked into "Imperial" but had some reservations due to it being on the UK exchange (v. USA), so a bit less convenient; low volume; and primarily 26 darn companies in their portfolio other than Autifony. God knows if all the rest are any good, etc. So it did not get my rather limited resources for this kind of venture too greased. Now if I was "Maserati man" maybe I would take a shot at it (though still prefer the girl) :)

With GSK same "dilution" deal for my key interest, which is T specific...and if buying their shares get all the nice corruption and Big Pharma ethical karma crap going along with it. Less of that with "dedicated" (genuine of course) small companies with high insider ownership.

And yes, ATEOS has posted some stuff on companies involved in the field...Seeing as he made it public on this forum, I am hoping/presuming he does not mind if I attach it here again.

Best, Zimichael
      * I see we have been moved to a new section of the TT site, which is fine. I was not too sure where to land this thread so now I know.

Attached Files:

5. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      As it happens, I provided a good bit of financial investment info (= lenghty posts) in this thread a couple of months ago:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/auris-medical-ipo.5574/

Attached are all the companies currently pursuing otology therapies.

Besides Otonomy (OTIC) and Auris Medical (EARS), you can also invest directly in GenVec (GNVC). Autifony Therapeutics needs to be invested in via one of its three main investors ie. you cannot invest in it directly.

The short summary of my lengthy posts is that I would, myself, not be particularly interested in investing in otology therapy companies (risk profile is not good). I recently sold my Novartis shares with a 32% ROI in just one year. How about that for a non-start up company...!

So why invest in a high risk company when you can get good ROI with low risk companies?

But... I fully understand your line of thinking (ie. hitting the jackpot with a new start-up). But they are hard to predict ie. who could have anticipated that Tekmira Pharmaceuticals producing the TKM-Ebola drug would surge all of a sudden because of the two American doctors who were treated with another experimental Ebola drug? The experimental treatment was not announced... suddenly it just happened. Such is the nature of investments.

Attached Files:

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As usual @attheedgeofscience outstanding information! I had missed that thread on the Auris IPO... https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/auris-medical-ipo.5574/ which covers a wealth more detail than just Auris. Anyone following this investing aspect should read it!

Plus I have to agree, that the risk profiles are pretty darn high with these companies and have first hand experience of how bio-techs have a horrible habit of suddenly needing gobs more money and announcing they are offering more shares at some way lower price. The open market price then takes the appropriate dive overnight. Very common! And not at all comforting! *[I bought one such stem cell whiz company at 70 cents when it was already down 75%, then it did some of these "dilutions" and eventually was down 97%! Even so, my position...very small fortunately, is now down 90%. I'm just sitting on it and waiting for years as it laboriously goes through (successfully) it's Phases of trials].

At present I am not putting any $$$ into any of the companies listed so far, but am watching. If Autifony were an isolated company on it's own, and it was not looking like it was going to go broke on it's capital burn rate real soon, then I would indeed have a position there. But with that huge Imperial portfolio, I'm not interested.

I still like the idea though of "some gain for our pain"...Sigh!

Zimichael

7. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure if anyone is watching this area, but Genvec (GNVC) popped up like a rocket last week, and is now diving back to see if it can refurbish it's booster.
      Autonomy has flattened out again (OTIC).
      And Auris (EARS) is still near the bottom of the long slide.

Zimichael

9. Nicg

Nicg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Hi all

Anybody know of any decent investments one could make in tinnitus research?

• Like Like x 1
    10. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Decibel Therapeutics, Otonomy, Frequency Therapeutics.

http://www.otonomy.com/

http://www.frequencytx.com/

https://decibeltx.com/

Why curing hearing loss should reduce tinnitus in most cases (especially acoustic trauma).
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/inner-ear-hair-cell-regeneration-—-maybe-we-can-know-more.3131/page-127#post-360596

Hearing loss bio tech is going to pay off big time with so many people like me who recklessly abused their hearing.
      https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/28/a-race-is-underway-to-repair-our-hearing-with-medicine/

• Like Like x 1
    11. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @TuxedoCat I would talk to your husband before any public investment in the hearing/tinnitus space. Many of the larger companies have much less than one percent of research costs or assets in this space, so any breaking hearing/tinnitus news wouldn't move their stock price.

With the smaller companies, front loading with pumps and dumps happen often. Fake analysts with a computer are trolling the internet for social signals as to timing for front loading - a pump and dump. Fake analysts have been very active with the small hearing / tinnitus companies. Scams like this are similar to the scam that @Contrast talks about.

13. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I am not a stock market person lol, I don't know about the comparisons or frauds that take place there.

14. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Where do these big companies get all their money from?

15. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In pharma, patents are very important. While a drug is still covered by patent there is no generic version. Also, creating an extended release version of the product usually means a second patent, its sort of a way of expending the patent life of a drug. Also, companies license products and technology to one another. They will also sell brands that don't meet the companies minimums for profitability and sales or are not in the therapeutic areas that the company wants to focus on.

16. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Greg, I tend not to buy individual stocks and don't take much risk. It's very unlikely I would invest in any of the hearing or tinnitus companies. The HTF report is priced at $2,000 so won't be purchasing that either. -TC

17. Ben S
      Curious

Ben S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      This idea struck me the other day. Since these companies have very promising treatments currently in clinical trials, wouldn't investing in one or both be a wise choice?

I have never dabbled into the stock market before, or made investments of any kind. I admittedly have a very superficial understanding of how it all works.

However, I checked out Otonomy's stock price the other day, and it seems to be near a 5 year low. I would think (with my basic knowledge) that it would only continue to trend upward.

Can anybody with experience in the stock market or with investing lend me some insight into this? Should I invest? I know I can't be the only one who has thought of this! Especially since the number of intelligent people on this site seems innumerable.

-Ben

18. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      My advice: don't take anyone's investment advice (including mine) and don't invest money you can't afford to lose.

Just for the purposes of discussion, though, I'm currently invested in Frequency Therapeutics (bought near IPO) but not Otonomy.

I think near term Ovidex could do well. Otic (Otonomy's ticker) seems to have wild swings that have nothing to do with news that I can tell so it seems like algo heavy trading maybe. If phase 3 of Ovi-dex pans out, there should be a really nice pop, though. Weirdly, I remember reading on a Meniere's forum awhile ago that Ovi-dex failed its first phase 3 *because* it was so effective. Apparently, doctors told patients how good it did in phase 2 and told people with frequent vertigo attacks to apply for the trial and, in doing so, they got a massive lift in placebo results, too. They got to re-do phase 3 a little differently as I recall because of this.

Anyway, if you wanted to play Otonomy just for hearing loss/tinnitus drugs, you could do it after Ovi-dex wraps up, but it could be a lot more expensive at that point.

• Informative Informative x 1